Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2002, 10:57 PM   #1
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel I found Farmer Giles of Ham/Smith of Wootton Major!!!

Yay! I've been searching for this forever! And only 6 bucks at B&N, I got lucky...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 09:18 AM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

I've read them both and liked them. "Smith" is a little hard to understand at times (one of those where you have to re-read parts to try to get the underlying meaning), but Farmer Giles is GREAT. I LOVE that story!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 09:14 PM   #3
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

I've read the first couple of pages of "Farmer" since it's first, and it is kind of confusing. But then again, it was midnight, so....

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Never read Smith, how is it?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

It's a strange story, but it's so short it's really worth reading, esp. for Tolkein fans. I liked it.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:41 PM   #6
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I read Farmer Giles of Ham over spring break. I liked it.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Both are good stories.

I also HIGHLY recommend "Leaf by Niggle".

It's very interesting, when you consider who Niggle could be seen to represent.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:24 AM   #8
arynetrek
Elf Lord

"Smith" & "Farmer" are great! Didn't think "Smith" was confusing at all, read it in one sitting (and really should reread it soon, it's such a beautiful little tale).

Heard "Niggle" was well worth reading, should look it up next time i go bookstore-hopping...

breathe - relax - semester's over,

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:21 PM   #9
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Yeah, "Niggle" was good. Read it on the way home from my sister's B-Ball game. But I thought Tolkien disliked allegory. It seemed kinda like one to me.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:21 AM   #10
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I bought that book this morning, I've already rented it from the libary and read it, but I needed to add it to my Tolkien book collection (Now 25 books )
I love the story, I fell in love with Garm.
(I got it for 4$, bought it in Las Vegas before I took the 20 hour flight back home.)
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, Garm's funny! I have read both Smith and Farmer Giles and like them both. Smith is interesting and has a rather sad aura about it. Tolkien once said it wasn't a story for children or something like that in one of his letters - here it is, from letter 299 - "An old man's book, already weighted with the presage of 'bereavement'." Leaf by Niggle is also very interesting.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:39 AM   #12
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Theoden

I was lucky enough to find a REALLY old one, like, from the sixties. It's cool, its got medievel style illistrations.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:41 AM   #13
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
I was lucky enough to find a REALLY old one, like, from the sixties. It's cool, its got medievel style illistrations.
Is that the one illustrated by Pauline Baynes? I love her drawings. She also illustrated Bilbo's Last Song, which is really just a poem, but very good. I love that book too.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:03 PM   #14
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
Is that the one illustrated by Pauline Baynes? I love her drawings. She also illustrated Bilbo's Last Song, which is really just a poem, but very good. I love that book too.
I have BLS too, and really like it - really nice pics! Baynes illustrated C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, too. Tolkien really liked her.

Any other comments on Smith? It was really interesting to me, and I'd like to hear some Mooter's opinions on it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote