Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2005, 05:10 PM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
I am inclined to say read MN first, but I do not think you can go wrong regardless of which book you read first.
The way the Chronicles are set up, most of them don't need to be read in chronological order. There are significant chronological gaps between most of them, and the setting changes enough between stories that you can read any of them as a stand alone without much confusion.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #22
Mercutio

I think LWW should be read first:

1. It introduces Aslan very well...mysterious...expectant...builds up...who is this "Aslan"...etc. MM assumes you know about Aslan already.
1.5 Lewis wrote them beginning with LWW, so his ideas and themes and thoughts progress in the published order, and un-chronologically.
2. You get the general feel for the series in LWW (as well as an intro to the symbolism/theology).
3. MN is a flashback.
4. MN (about beginning) and Last Battle (about end) go well together.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #23
azalea
Long lost mooter

When I first read them, LWW was the first in the series, and so I tend toward thinking that is the best way. It's fun to later read MN and say, oh, that's Prf. Kirke, oh, that's how the lampost came to be there, etc.
But then I think that reading MN first is perfectly acceptable, because then upon reading LWW the same thing would happen in reverse ("I know how that got there, I know who she is," etc.). The only book that doesn't fit perfectly is HHB, because it kind of flashes back from the end of LWW, but that's okay. The reader would still see it the same way.
So, Val, either way would be fine!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #24
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
I agree with them. Even though The Magician's Nephew was chronologically first, it makes more sense reading them the way they were written. Its more of a flashback than a prologue, if you get what I mean.
And besides, it's a little surpise to find to find out that the prof. form LWW is Digory, a Narnia goer himself. Maybe not a big surprise, just a pleasant one.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #25
inked
Elf Lord

As I have ranted before, it is publication order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dost thou sayest read the SILMARILLION firstest?

No, precioussssssssssssss, thou dost not!

edit: 11-24-2004 http://www.entmoot.com/showthread.ph...4&page=4&pp=20 #63

Well, I am going to go all over nerdy here about the recent publications of the CoN because I came across them numbered IN PROPER CHRONOLOGICAL SEQUENCE PER NARNIAN TIME! The only proper sequence to read them in for the first time is publication order in my inestimable and not at all humble nor modest opinion! It's, it's blasphemy, that's what it is, to number them for unsuspecting gift giving adults to buy for children!!! Some poor soul will now encounter them as though they were historically accurate renditions of Narnia instead of the wonderfully kaleidescoped published sequence. Ahh, the lack of romance and adventure to encounter Aslan as in TMN rather than LWW!!!!

I hear there are persons who consider this chronological series read to be proper and the only correct way to read TCON BUT that is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG (did I mention I regard that view as erroneous?)! I adduce the very proper stage and television and BBC productions of the series as further evidence of my thesis! And the ERTV/Kraft foods animated movie, as well!
And the intended current productions!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows they should be produced as published! Egads! Has the world gone enumeration delusional?

*breathes*

Oh, the horror of it! Is it the baleful influence of the enumerated HP series casting a bewitchment of arithmancy over the whole publishing industry? DO those chaps/chappettes in the booking world think that works of fiction need be cast all in the modes of artificial history a la Tolkein? Will they next number all the extant Tolkeiniana in the same fashion from Silmarillion to HoME whatever we are at? (And a good long lifetime to 'em if they try that!)
Shall we have Charles Williams novels subjected to the iniquities of this ilk?

*breathes...again*

I dare say sequentially narrative Lord Peter Wimsey novels are published as such for they were produced as such! But this irritatingly anachronistical ephemeral fad of producing numbered TCON is simply WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! To enter Narnia unaccompanied by Mr. Tumnus on the first visit????
It is sacrilege! Do not succumb to this mania for enumeration!
Go to Narnia as published and read for nearly 6 decades, not some moddish pseudo-historicism route, I beg of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*breathes*
...and tomorrow I'll say how I REALLY FEEL about this atrocity of enumerated publication by historicists!!!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-04-2006 at 10:59 AM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Calm down Inked!

When I was first inroduced to CoN, I read LWW. Of course I didn't know at the time there were 6 more. In buying the big book with them all in it, I read MN first. I really don't think it matters as long as you read them. It should be your choice.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked

the ERTV/Kraft foods animated movie

Off-topic: Anyone seen this for sale anywhere?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #28
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
I do remember watching an animated LWW! I watched in a motel, where we hooked up our video machine...wow ages ago.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #29
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
Check your local video store or online. It was marketed by Vestron.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #30
Mercutio

Quote:
Well, I am going to go all over nerdy here about the recent publications of the CoN because I came across them numbered IN PROPER CHRONOLOGICAL SEQUENCE PER NARNIAN TIME! The only proper sequence to read them in for the first time is publication order in my inestimable and not at all humble nor modest opinion! It's, it's blasphemy, that's what it is, to number them for unsuspecting gift giving adults to buy for children!!! Some poor soul will now encounter them as though they were historically accurate renditions of Narnia instead of the wonderfully kaleidescoped published sequence. Ahh, the lack of romance and adventure to encounter Aslan as in TMN rather than LWW!!!!

I hear there are persons who consider this chronological series read to be proper and the only correct way to read TCON BUT that is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG (did I mention I regard that view as erroneous?)! I adduce the very proper stage and television and BBC productions of the series as further evidence of my thesis! And the ERTV/Kraft foods animated movie, as well!
And the intended current productions!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows they should be produced as published! Egads! Has the world gone enumeration delusional?
We have an old edition of them (pages falling out, spine breaking, etc.) that lists them in published order.

Quote:
I dare say sequentially narrative Lord Peter Wimsey novels are published as such for they were produced as such!
I never really thought about that. But I suppose they must've been. In the front of our copies, they seem to list the novels in alphabetical order. Chronologically, aren't some in the middle move-around-able? It doesn't really matter whether you read Murder Must Advertise or Unnatural Death first. I understand getting the Wimsey-Vane in order, though, definitely. It's different from TCON--they are mostly separate stories. Wimsey mysteries follow a handful of characters for a prolonged period of time.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #31
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:

....To enter Narnia unaccompanied by Mr. Tumnus on the first visit????
It is sacrilege! ....

Hear! Hear! One of the best reasons yet for starting with LWW.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #32
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:

Dost thou sayest read the SILMARILLION firstest?

No, precioussssssssssssss, thou dost not!
I wouldn't recommend anyone read the silmarillion first - or second, or at all. If the potential reader is, like me, is the sort of person who can really enjoy a work like the Silmarillion, they'll search it out and read it without needing to be told about it. If they're any other sort of person, chances are they'll never bother with it, and that's just fine.

Thank you, by the way, for that wonderful demonstration of all the worst elements to be found in a fanbase. Would you like to borrow my title? It's getting awfully dusty and someone else might get better use out of it than I am these days.

I'll happily leave you to your sacred cow, but throwing a tantrum because not everybody wants to do it your way is not only ridiculous, it's positively antithetical to the author's intent, and rather detrimental to the proper enjoyment of the stories. The stories indisputibly form a chronological cycle with a distinct beginning and end, and the author himself expressed a preference for reading them that way - which is, of course, the reasoning behind the order of the current publishing.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-05-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #33
inked
Elf Lord

Gee, Wayfarer, I am honored! But shouldn't you have said that over a year ago when I originally posted it?

Unfortunately, that is the only "tantrum" I have ever produced, assuming rant = tantrum. I don't think I qualify for your sig on that basis!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #34
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Gee, how I envy you people for this debate! I wish I had all the seven to read in whatever order I choose. The thing is, here only four were published so far - The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse And His Boy, and Prince Caspian... (Not counting the ones published sometime around '90-'92, nowhere to be seen now, of course. I bet if it weren't for the movie, they wouldn't be published again now. ) So far, I've actually seen Prince Caspian only, tucked into the corner of the fantasy-shelf in the bookstore. Really, these huge and gorgeous-looking bookstores in my town just stink when it comes to books I'm really interested in. I guess I'll have to read Prince Caspian first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I think one should read whatever book one feels like reading first, it's all good. Read the last one first! Read 'em backwards, standing on your head and juggling, who cares as long as you read them.
lol Reminds me of myself, really. I took up the custom of reading the last sentence/paragraph/page of the book I've just started, when I don't yet know what it's about, and keep thinking about it while reading, and when I actually reach the end, it just slips into its place, like the last piece of a puzzle.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #35
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
.....I took up the custom of reading the last sentence/paragraph/page of the book I've just started, when I don't yet know what it's about, and keep thinking about it while reading, and when I actually reach the end, it just slips into its place, like the last piece of a puzzle.

Intriguing way to read a book. I've sometimes skipped ahead to find out what happens when I'm not particularly enjoying the book but I want to know how it ends up. But your idea of the last piece of the puzzle is an interesting approach. Might try it myself!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 AM   #36
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2
... Might try it myself!
Gee, am I actually spreading this?

Anyway, yesterday I've been to a more decent bookstore, and brought LWW, MN and um.. yes, the Horse and his boy. Already finished LWW, and I really liked it. Especially the part when Aslan plays with Susan and Lucy after his resurrection. And when one of the girls (can't remember who) calls him As, just as they call each other Lu and Ed and Su...

Oh goodness, sometimes I really doubt I'm normal... But at least when (sometime in the future...) I have my own children, they'll have many books to choose from.

Last edited by littleadanel : 02-04-2006 at 03:52 AM.
littleadanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #37
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OK - I finally read it! The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, that is.

I decided to read that one first, in hopes of reading it and afterwards catching the movie while it's still in theaters. It didn't take much time at all - but I poured a lot more time into it the last few days - when I read most of it (like from Friday through today I think - I probably read the last 2/5's today).

Loved it, of course! And looking forward to seeing the movie now.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #38
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

val, are you trying to tell me that you've never read the lion, the witch and wardrobe before? where have you been?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:29 AM   #39
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Under a ... rock?

But I DID read Mere Christianity, Screwtape Letters and A Grief Observed in my early college years (if that helps redeem me).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #40
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

a little, but not really.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote