Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2005, 12:32 AM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Just had a thought tonight...

How interesting that a major motion production of a story by CS Lewis, one of Tolkien's collaborators and friends comes into theaters everywhere...

At the very same time as the NEXT major production by Peter Jackson, after his efforts to bring Tolkien's LOTR masterpiece into theaters.

It just struck me... CS Lewis' Narnia - coming out at the same time as Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #22
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yep, King kong next wednesday, it looks like its gonna rock too.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #23
Mercutio

Apparently Jackson always wanted to do King Kong...the original was his inspiration or something. But he didn't have the status/money/connections. So he had to start with another movie...he "practiced" on Lord of the Rings .

I read a review of LWW in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
They generally liked it, but thought the witch was too straightlaced and stature-less (didn't like her constricting costumes either), and thus not a big enough antagonist for the children. They said that lessened the children's protagonist-ness.

They also said it wasn't as epic as LoTR---obviously, is it supposed to be? This is a different book.

But they said Aslan's death, though not gory by any means, was as dramatic/heart wrenching as that in the Passion of Christ.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #24
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

awesome, can't wait till tonight, premiere here i come.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Just had a thought tonight...

How interesting that a major motion production of a story by CS Lewis, one of Tolkien's collaborators and friends comes into theaters everywhere...

At the very same time as the NEXT major production by Peter Jackson, after his efforts to bring Tolkien's LOTR masterpiece into theaters.

It just struck me... CS Lewis' Narnia - coming out at the same time as Peter Jackson's King Kong.
Still another coincedence: according to SFX magazine the director of the new Narnia movie is a good friend of Peter Jackson as well. Two friends, each making a movie that was originally written by two other friends.