Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Forrest Gump (the author refused to allow them to use the sequel he had written, on the grounds that since they said the movie had failed to make any money he felt morally obliged to protect the studio from further loss.)
ROFL!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

... beating them at their own game ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Niffiwan
Sapling

For what it's worth, Peter Jackson also had a falling-out with New Line because of Hollywood accounting. It's why they didn't want him to direct the Hobbit for a number of years.
Niffiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
For all the good he has done, I don't think Christopher Tolkien should have that kind of power to shackle a beloved work many decades after publication. No artist should.
Agreed... but a work as extensive and long developed as Middle Earth is less the artist's child and more their soul - it's something that's grown up and aged as a part of them to the point where its presence in the back of their mind may color every thought they have.

It's possible that CT's memories of his father and his feelings about the work are nigh inseparable by this point, so one can hardly blame the man for feeling squicked out when he has to face that those works are now so subject to evolving through the opinions of the crowd.

It cannot, and should not, stop that evolution from happening, but everyone involved in creating the adaptations or even just playing with the world could probably stand to remember and respect that a bit more often, for every author, not just Tolkien.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #25
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

While I certainly enjoyed watching the premiere, there were some parts of the movie, especially Radagast (nooooooooooooooooo!), which put me off.

I really like the soundtrack though, and have it on my Spotify now!
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote