Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Radio Drama

I thought I ran out of thread-starting ideas but I have one now! Who here likes radio drama? I listen to the KSURF radio theater almost every night. I love all those old comedies. I especially like The Advenures of the Great Gildersleeve, The Jack Benny Program, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Phil Harris and Alice Fae Show, and other comedies. Good mystery shows are the Saint, The Adventures of Phillip Marlow, Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. Then the western Have Gun Will Travel. My favorite is in the last 40 minutes, the Imagination Theater, a "double-feature movie for your mind." I think there's a site where you can listen to Imgaination Theater, so I'll come back with it.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Yes, I occasionally listne to radio drama.

I used to listen to Imagination Theater all the time (its Sunday night, right?).

http://www.transmediasf.com/imag.html

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
trolls' bane

Yeah, that's it. On KSURF it's every night, except weekends.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:48 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

hmm - every night EXCEPT the weekends? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe they run reruns?

I don't know about that other radio drama, but imagination theater is a weekly thing. They have a new show every week. It wouldn't make much sense to play it every night.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:12 AM   #5
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I like the afternoon dramas on Radio 4 - sometimes they're great, sometimes they're terrible, but they pass the time nicely. I like their classic serials too - at the moment I'm listening to Little Women.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
trolls' bane

I don't think they're reruns. I have'nt heard the same ones more that once, but I've only been listening for a few months.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:56 AM   #7
trolls' bane

Now I've got a few places on my signature. That and my website and discussion board.
I have'nt heard one in a while, and I missed Gildersleeve and Jack Benny . They are both very funny.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I like The Saint, with, uh, I think it's Basil Rathbone. Cool. The Jack Benny show is funny, but that Dennis Day character really grates on me.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:41 AM   #9
trolls' bane

LOL. On the George Burns and Gracie Allen show, Gracie's friend told her that she and George needed a vacation from eachother beacause (her friend claimed) they were nagging eachother and didn't know it. George came home later and greeted gracie, saying (It's way off, but you'll get the idea):
Hello, Gracie. You look beautiful today.
She replied:
Nagging, nagging. Always nagging.

Then, at the end of the show, she got back from her vacation in Twenty-Nine Palms, and claimed it was now Twenty-Seven Palms, because each time she had ever gone (which was twice) she hit a palm tree with her car .

I like the Saint, but I still think I like Phillip Marlow better. They both always find it easy to turn the tables without any trouble at all even when their own gun is pointing at them.
My favorite suspense shows (not including those on IT) are the Whistler, Suspense coming in second.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:57 PM   #10
dawningoftime
Enting

It's been a while since I've listened to some of the old time radio dramas. I took a whole class focused on them a couple years ago. I do listen to some modern day radio dramas such as Adventures in Odyssey and Left Behind. I prefer Adventures in Odyssey, though.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
dawningoftime
Enting

It's been a while since I've listened to some of the old time radio dramas. I took a whole class focused on them a couple years ago. I do listen to some modern day radio dramas such as Adventures in Odyssey and Left Behind. I prefer Adventures in Odyssey, though.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #12
trolls' bane

I never knew they had classes on the subject !
Well, now that's new. where do you take these?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i love old radio shows! btw, the saint has vincent price in it; though maybe basil rathebone did a previous version
that's my fav, but i also like the bob hope show, the bing crosby shows from WWII, the jack benny program, fibber mcgee and molly, and suspense! i didn't know anyone else listened to those sort of things!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #14
trolls' bane

Well, i was rather surprised that anyone knew about them. Not exacly expected a tenth of these answers.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #15
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningoftime
Oh, I kind of like those. I think Focus On the Family does some good radio drama. Do you like their dramatizations (is that a word?) of the Chronicles of Narnia? They're very good, imo.

There was one episode of the Saint that I listened to a while ago, and I don't remember the name of it, but the Saint was in this really funny situation with this lady who wanted to shoot him, but wouldn't because she couldn't stand the sight of blood. Just as he's talking her out of shooting him, this other thug comes in and wants to shoot him, to which the Saint replies "I'll bleed!", and the thug goes "So WHAT?" I don't know, I thought it was hilarious.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #16
dawningoftime
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
I never knew they had classes on the subject !
Well, now that's new. where do you take these?
It was at my school, Grand Valley State University. One of the required classes for broadcasting majors is called Media and Society. It essentially means that the prof teaching the class can talk about what he feels passionate about. I just happened to have a prof who loved radio dramas. A couple of years ago at my church we also did a Christmas musical that took place in the 1940's and they included reinacments of some of the popular shows of the time...complete with sound effects. It was great.

As for some of the other stuff Focus on the Family has done I really haven't gotten a chance to listen to. I listened to some of the Chronicles of Narnia and it was all right. I just didn't like the story being narrated.

Last edited by dawningoftime : 09-10-2004 at 11:15 PM.
dawningoftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

During my Intro to Mass Communications class, we listened to a '40s radio drama called "The Blue Hour", which was a diamond, a club, and a perfume. I believe it was part of a series called "Suspense Theater" or something like that. It was pretty cool. The other Intro to Mass Comm class got to listen to "The Shadow". I must say that I'm not a huge fan, although it is pretty fun to listen to these little time capsules complete with commercials.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:36 AM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm a big fan of Golden Age radio dramas. Suspense was always a good listen but very hit-and-miss from time to time. Dragnet, as you all know, is legendary. It's the radio comedies that really make my day, though, and for those purposes I always found The Jack Benny Show worthy of admiration.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #19
trolls' bane

I just found a great site for listening to old time radio:
www.radiolovers.com
Old 07-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #20
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Speaking of radio shows, Peter Sellars was a big radio star in England back in the day, with a show called (I think) The Goon Show, or Goon Squad, or something like that. When I watched that movie "The Life & Death of Peter Sellars", that's where I heard this. Does anyone know about this show, does it sound familiar? It was a comedy show popular in England in the '40s and '50s, I think.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote