Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Qel Vandeth
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel Favorite character(s) in each race

Just want to know the favorite character in each race in the Silmarillion.

for me,

Valar: Ulmo. He seems the one who is actually doing some job all the time. Manwe and the others seems to care very little about what happens in Middle-Earch, and other decided to take action if they are aroused (eg. the Quest of Earendil), while Ulmo constantly patrols his waters to see if anything among the Elves that would require his aid.

Maiar: Sauron. Maybe a funny choice, but it is because of him that we have all the story of Lord of the Ring after Silmarillion. And I admire his cunning and creativity and will to learn from his master Morgoth, which he eventually surpasses. Although obviously he's an evil person, I still admire him. I also like Melian for the way he chose to come to Middle Earth and become queen with an Elf lord, but I don't like Thingol so it lowered my liken towards her.

Elf: Oh this is a difficult one, but I would say Fingon the Valiant. I don't understand why he gets so little credit from most people, I mean, it takes a hell of courage and love to go into the heart of the enemy's land to safe a friend who he would have believed to have a hand in the burning of the white ships of the Teleri, which costed the death of many of his people. Yet this Fingon done so without any hesitation. Also, the way he died in the battle of Unnumbered Tears almost made me cry. It seems to me that unlike his brother Turgon (whom Tolkien often claimed to be the most valiant of all Elves) who build a secrete kingdom of his own and stayed there not caring much of the rest of the world, Fingon was the one who actually stood out and united the Elves to face their soul enemy Sauron.

Another Elf that I have great liken is of course the popular Finrod. Unlike most elves he is not racists towards other lesser-race and he kept his oath and sacrificed his life for Beren. He also likes to travel and be involved in many things, while many of the Elven high kings (eg. Thingol, Turgon...) only sits in their throwns and enjoy their power over their lands. Finrod to me is a bit like Gandolf in the third age, but unlike Gandolf, he never really had the need to do so, yet he chose it because he's great love towards every free people of Middle Earth, not only his own kin.

It is also hard not to have a liking towards two of Feanor's sons, Maedhros and Maglor, cause they seemed to be kind in their hearts (unlike their 5 brothers), but eventually the oath they swore lead them to do many evil that they wouldn't have done. Luthien is the female character that stand out the most of the Elves, and her love towards Beren is really beautiful if not a bit bitter, considering how perfect she was. But Beren is a man (and probably the only man among Elves and Man) rightly fit for her, and I am glad of their love being able to finally surpass all difficulties. Glorfindel and Ecthelion of Gondolin, Cirdan the Shipwright, and the unfortunate Beleg Strong-Bow are also extremely likeable characters, although they all fixtured too little for us to understand their personalities.

Men: I would have to say Beren. Not so because of his adventure to get the Silmarli, but more so of his courage to enter Thingol's palace and said the word he said, with pride that even an Elf-lord could be proud of. He's story with Luthien is probably the most romantic story in the Silmarillion, and I am happy that they eventually got together. Turin is also a very strong character but his life is really too tragic, same goes with Hurin. Never really fond of Tuor cause I feel that his path is rather too well laid for him, and it seems he never really have to go through any ordeal like Beren to gain his price.

Dwarfs: Not many dwarfs mentioned in the Silmarillion, but Azaghal spreens to my mind. He was the one who wounded Glaurong badly in the battle of Unnumbered Tears, and forced him to stear away from the battlefield. If he hadn't done so, maybe more people (probably the entire of Maedhros army) would have been defeated.

Any thoughts?
Qel Vandeth is offline   Reply With Quote