Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2003, 09:02 PM   #41
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
how about starting with what did you think of the movies? imagine the horror he would cause if he said well they arent my books but hey i was entertained. *riotous laughter*

But no my question would be....

WHAT ABOUT OLD TOM!

(or maybe my question would be can i ask you a whole bunch of questions)
Hmm....he MIGHT be entertained....Don't hold your breath, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:44 PM   #42
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

What's with the Ragnarok-type battle at the end of Middle-earth history and what is the fate of elves, men, dwarves, hobbits, ents, after it? Does Feanor finally stop sulking during or after the battle?

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:01 AM   #43
Aden
Elven Warrior

How about Glorfindel's tale?
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:14 AM   #44
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Rviving old threads is always fun!

How would your published Silmarillion have looked?
Old 11-29-2003, 03:10 PM   #45
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Rviving old threads is always fun!

How would your published Silmarillion have looked?
How about trying to answer some Quenya matters?
Old 11-29-2003, 03:16 PM   #46
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Of course, but I only get one question.

I could have asked for a complete set of grammatical rules for Quenya and Sindarin, but it'd probably take some time and he'd cross things over, forget them, then make up new forms and endings, and then have to change the whole language...over and over again...would take centuries.

Last edited by Falagar : 11-29-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:32 PM   #47
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Of course, but I only get one question.

I could have asked for a complete set of grammatical rules for Quenya and Sindarin, but it'd probably take some time and he'd cross things over, forget them, then make up new forms and endings, and then have to change the whole language...over and over again...would take centuries.
Yes, I guess you're right. Unfortunately there are some things we're never meant to know.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #48
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

There are really 2 things I would like to know and since BoP loves me so much I am gonna ask them both

1) What happened to Men in the 4th age after King Elessar died and his son Eldarion took the thrown, renewing the bloodline once again?

I am most interested in the above question with the Fate of the Kings of Men and men themselves, but I've also always wondered:

2) What happened in the Far-East of Middle Earth, beyond the land of Mordor, it seems as though we only know about a small portion of Arda and certain areas are long forgotten and cannot be found, surely there was life there and what happened there with it's people, the lost races of Men, Elves and Dwarves, the 2 Blue Wizards, etc...?

About the only thing I know about the Far-Eastern part of the world is the that the first Elves and the first Men awoke there...Oh and we know that Aragorn travelled there, but there is no report of those travellings
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:41 AM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Dumb y--- er.... *decides to be nice*

I'll just take my toll in your pants... *that sounds dodgy...* Hmm...
Old 11-30-2003, 01:38 PM   #50
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Do Balrogs have w... oh, you said we couldn't ask that one. *dark look* How about, what happened to Aragorn in Moria before the War of the Ring that he didn't want to talk about because 'the memory is very evil?'
Old 11-30-2003, 07:43 PM   #51
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
How about, what happened to Aragorn in Moria before the War of the Ring that he didn't want to talk about because 'the memory is very evil?'

Ooooooo good one!

*dumps a bucket of ice water on BoP and runs away*
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #52
Bilbo
Enting

I'd ask 'Where did you come up with all the daft names, including mine?'
Old 12-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #53
leaker
Sapling

Id have to ask, "Who would win a wrestling match between Tom Bombadil and Beorn?"
leaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:35 AM   #54
Attalus

Or, "How come Gandalf was able to sneak into Dol Guldur without raising the alarm? You said that the Elven Rings did not confer invisibility."
Old 12-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #55
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
I'd ask 'Where did you come up with all the daft names, including mine?'
He might have answered:"They're not daft and if you don't stop asking these silly questions, you'll be named Bingo from now on."
Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM   #56
Attalus

LOL, I was looking up the Baggins family tree in the Appendix, just now; and I see ol' Bingo got grafted on as Bilbo's uncle.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #57
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

I'll just take my toll in your pants... *that sounds dodgy...* Hmm...
Ewww! I'd leave it, not TAKE it! (there's still some diapers left in the "locked room"....where'd I put that key )
Old 12-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #58
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

No fair, you made me wish I could actually talk to Tolkien, now I'll be wondering what I'd say for at least a week. I have no clue what I would ask, there are too many possible questions.

Quote:
(or maybe my question would be can i ask you a whole bunch of questions)
Good Idea.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:16 AM   #59
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I thought of one, but I might change my mind again:
How was he able to come up with such a great story with such an elaborate background, and still do anything else!?!?!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #60
Fewin Greenleaf
Enting

well, this would sound really pathetic but in case I would just have one question...i'd say it'd be..."Orli, will you marry me?"