Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

JRR Tolkien trained as British spy

London Telegraph, dateline 16 Sept 2009:
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Interesting tidbit.

It's funny, but my first thought when I read that they didn't know why Tolkien declined the job, was that Tolkien probably didn't fancy working with the machinery that would be necessary for the job.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

As it turned out, a further memo shows that Tolkien in fact did serve as an intelligence officer. In nineteen-forty he was asked to translate a message concerning German troop movements during the preparations for the impending occupation of Norway in spring of that year.

He completed the task in nineteen forty-six, complete with a 300 page footnote on the linguistic differences between German and Old Norwegian as revealed in alliteration patterns found in the Skjoldunga Saga

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
London Telegraph, dateline 16 Sept 2009:
Hmmm, perhaps the notation means TOLL-keen as an aid to pronunciation and has nothing to do with JRRT's enthusiasm. Although I do note that the 300 page footnote to the translated message ought to be published and could be evidence that he was TO(L)TALLY KEEN on languages and a scholar of the first rank of footnoting.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

I've actually read that several big names in Hollywood around the time of the Cold War were approached to be CIA spies as well.
Fool_of_a_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
As it turned out, a further memo shows that Tolkien in fact did serve as an intelligence officer. In nineteen-forty he was asked to translate a message concerning German troop movements during the preparations for the impending occupation of Norway in spring of that year.

He completed the task in nineteen forty-six, complete with a 300 page footnote on the linguistic differences between German and Old Norwegian as revealed in alliteration patterns found in the Skjoldunga Saga
Ha! I think you're thinking of Christopher, though, with that footnote.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Ha! I think you're thinking of Christopher, though, with that footnote.
Well, JRR was noted for being pretty slow...thorough, but sllooowwww.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Oh, certainly, he would have finished it in 1946. But Chrissie boy is the one with the talent for using whole forests of trees to make something interesting into an utter bore.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Alcuin
Salt Miner

There is actually a footnote on this in Letters of JRR Tolkien for Letter 35. The letter is on pp 41-43; the footnote is on p 436. It contains most of the pertinent information in the Telegraph article.
Quote:
In January 1939 Tolkien was asked whether in the event of a national emergency (i.e. war) he would prepared to work in the cryptographical department of the Foreign Office. He agreed, and apparently attended a four-day course of instruction at the Foreign Office beginning on 27 March. But in October 1939, he was informed that his services would not be required for the present, and in the event he never worked as a cryptographer.
Letters was published in 1981. The selections were made by Tolkien’s official biographer, Humphrey Carter, with assistance of Christopher Tolkien, so one of them actually “uncovered” this information long before its release as an old war secret.

It is also worth noting that the screaming headline, “Tolkien trained as a spy”, does not match the facts as laid out by Carter and CJR Tolkien. Tolkien seems to have begun training as a code-breaker. Had he continued in this, he would presumably have been sent to Bletchley Park, where Alan Turing led an assortment of geniuses, using work pioneered by the Poles and including a prototype Enigma machine constructed by Polish intelligence and smuggled to England at the beginning of hostilities in 1939, and broke the Enigma code. The people working on this included chess masters and people who could solve the Sunday Times crossword with relative ease, as well as mathematicians like Turing, linguists, interpreters, and so forth.

Tolkien was surely recruited for his linguistic and philological skills, which were his profession and for which he was rightly esteemed: he was at the time Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at University of Oxford, and in 1945 became Merton Professor of English Language and Literature.

The article says that Tolkien “declined a £500-a-year offer to become a full-time recruit.” This does not agree with what Carter wrote, that “he was informed that his services would not be required for the present”.

Perhaps code-breaking is like stock trading: no matter how smart you are, how well-trained you are, and what your skill-set may be going into it, you are either born a trader or not. Some people can trade, and some people can’t. Perhaps some folks can break codes, and some can’t. GrayMouser may be on the right trail.

By the way, Tolkien is remarkably open about this in the aforementioned letter, written 2 February 1939 to Mr. C.A. Furth at his publishers, Allen & Unwin. He told Furth he had “some work in preparation for a ‘National Emergency’ (which will take a week out.) I have to go to Scotland either in March or April.” His training, according to the Telegraph article, was in London; presumably, his trip to Scotland was on other business.

Last edited by Alcuin : 10-11-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote