Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Value and purpose of the media

I was wondering what you thought about this, if you had even thought about it at all. (I did a search for a thread like this but couldn't find one...so if am wrong sorry)

Do you think that the media is a good or bad thing, and how much effect does it have on our opinions?

For example, there was an article in the news the other day saying that about 57% (can't remember exact percentage) of girls of 13 have been on a diet to try and get themselves to look like the celebrities.

Do you think the representation of men and women is equal?

What about the way it is used? Is that genuinely reporting the news or is it biased?

Post if you have an opinion. I just thought it'd be interesting to see what people really think of media.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Well, without media, we wouldn't really know what was going on, would we? So in a way it is good in terms of making us aware of things.
Then again, without media, there wouldn't be 'posers' and Avril Lavigne and Mansonites.

But I don't really know what exactly media is.
It's funny because media can have pictures of anorexic chicks with silicone breasts and tell young girls that that is what they are supposed to look like, and then there are statistics such as those that say that sort of thing in your post, so it really contradicts itself. In terms of this issue, young girls buy into the 'this is how you're supposed to look, this is pretty' thing because males buy into it

Media tends to be very superficial and stupid, as all of it is just trying to sell something. Why don't people who buy into all of this stuff get that? They're just being brainwashed to spend money on stuff so the companies can have money and the people can have jobs. BUY OUR MAGAZINE! JUICY GOSSIP! LOOK HOW COOL THIS NEW SINGER IS! GET HER CD! FAT GIRLS ARE UGLY! BUY THE AB-ENERGIZER AND STARVE YOURSELF!
I guess it's cool that atleast people get to express opinions that way, but not everybody in the world needs to be exposed to a stupid persons opinions presented in a fashy way *cough* mtv *cough*

Media has pretty much gone in the garbage, atleast the stuff that targets kids. Kids=use their parents money: parents love their kids: kids=spend a lot: kids=impressionable.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I have a lot of problems with the media. Given a few good hours and a couple of beers each my friends have gotten into huge in depth discussions about how much the media is able to control what we see and therefor what we think.

To be fair, media and news organizations always seem to get a bad rap for just going out and looking for the goriest murder stories or the most tragic train crashes or whatever, when it's just part of human nature to be drawn to or interested in those types of events.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol

But I don't really know what exactly media is.
Definition of media: "The form and technology used to communicate information. Multimedia presentations, for example, combine sound, pictures, and videos, all of which are different types of media."

Media is every way of getting information across to people. I agree with what you said. Though I particularly meant newspapers and magazines, though I suppose television and radio are just as bad.

It's very contradictory, and although we need it to know what is going on, I think it is manipulative, abused and damaging to our lives. It encourages the kind of thinking that 'it's cool to look like this,' 'this is the current cool thing to do,' 'these celebrities are important,' etc. This, in my opinion is worthless. We don't need to know.

I also think that it inflates the importance of famous people. Why do we care what they are doing. Like when there are pictures of them getting out of cabs and walking across the street. Am I the only person who thinks this is not news?

Plus there's the fact there are so many different newspapers with different points of view and they all want us to agree with that particular bias. Bah! It makes me angry!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
I have a lot of problems with the media. Given a few good hours and a couple of beers each my friends have gotten into huge in depth discussions about how much the media is able to control what we see and therefor what we think.
Do you think it is effective at controlling the minds of the general public then?

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Everything we take in from our environment is done through some form of filter. EVERYTHING. "The Media" is just the most obvious one. And probably the most controversial. But generally its controversial because some segment of it disgarees with your point of view. Then we say "the media is corrupt!". And it probably is but thats nature. The hard part is being aware of the fliters WHILE you are observing THROUGH them. Its really hard to do. But its possible. Take everything with a grain of salt. And remember we are ALL biased in our own ways.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

IR has it right... the media (or at least the entertainment/news portion of it) is just a refection of the popular opinions and perceptions in our society... the problem occurs when you start to believe that they are actually objective
Old 01-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Everything we take in from our environment is done through some form of filter. EVERYTHING. "The Media" is just the most obvious one. And probably the most controversial. But generally its controversial because some segment of it disgarees with your point of view. Then we say "the media is corrupt!". And it probably is but thats nature. The hard part is being aware of the fliters WHILE you are observing THROUGH them. Its really hard to do. But its possible. Take everything with a grain of salt. And remember we are ALL biased in our own ways.
I never actually said the media is corrupt. It probably is yes, but I view it as more...I dunno, pointless than corrupt. A lot of stuff we get through the media is just purposeless.

Quote:
IR has it right... the media (or at least the entertainment/news portion of it) is just a refection of the popular opinions and perceptions in our society... the problem occurs when you start to believe that they are actually objective
That's true. Nothing can be objective.

I'll shut up now then.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #8
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

The media isn't anymore corrupt than anything else. Also - you have to look at the particular source. Nightline is much more reliable news source than the enquirer - but both are forms of news media. Some media sources are right leaning - others are left leaning. It's up to you to use your brain and analyse what they are saying. The more news sources you watch - the better your overall picture of the facts.

Also - there are several different kinds of media types - informational, news and entertainment. If you are watching entertainment shows - they're not doing anything other than putting on something as enjoyment. It's what people want to see. News should be less what people want to see - and more about just informing the public of what is going on around them. News should not be sensationalized - but too often it is.

People have a brain - use it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-09-2004 at 05:33 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote