Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2003, 12:12 AM   #1
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Media Freedom? FART tax? Issues in NZ.

Over in New Zealand we've just had a ruckus due to Paul Holmes (News frontsman, and radio-show host) calling Kofi Annan a "cheeky darkie" (several times throughout the radio show, along with some sexism thrown in as well) with somewhat severe repercussions (boycotting, people resigning from his staff in protest, people registering complaints, bomb threats, etc). As far as I know, he hasn't lost his radio job over this (and I doubt he would given how high he is in NZ media), but do you think there should be repercussions for his acts of rampant racism and sexism, or is it okay for the media act thus (freedom of speech and all)?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2674734a10,00.html

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...03/s953628.htm

Another big issue for NZ at the moment is FART tax, which is basically a levy the govt is trying to force upon farmers so that they can finance research pertaining to methane emissions from cattle. Understandably, farmers are up in arms over this, to the extent that one MP drove his tractor up the Parliament steps in protest. However, on the other hand, the methane emissions are causing more problems with pollution than emissions from cars and other related city pollutions. Are other countries considering a type of fart tax as well? (In line with the kyoto agreement?) I guess this particular question concerns those who've undersigned the kyoto agreement more than anything, but I'd be interested to see how non-kyoto-agreement countries are dealing with agricultural 'pollution'.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/04/news/funny/fart_tax/

Last edited by Sheeana : 09-29-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:14 AM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

What a jerk. People should be free to say what they want but if you come out with that sort of stuff you should pay the price (i.e. he should lose his job, be tied up in stocks and covered in ants.)

I think "Polluter pays" is a good principle. If not, bottle it and run your power stations on it (see Power Cuts thread). Or, spread 'em on me taters.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Cheeky Darkie!? Where is he coming from? Is he a racist, or is he just in love with himself and would do anythig to be "funny and/or irreverent" (a cheeky ding dong? ). Does he just love being the center of talk and attention, or was he trying to alter politics in some way? I say he needs to become more involved with the cow fart research...very directly! (insert farty noise )

The cow fart tax seems odd, could it possibly be political? Anti farmer or something? What are they going to do to lower the farting? Change the cows diet? Wouldn't you like to be on that research! How is this supposedly causing a problem? Any herds exploded lately? If this type of concern is caused by the Kyoto treaty...I'd say forget it! My concern would be with man made pollution. Cow farts...get over it. What do they want to do anyway? Harness the fart power? I read the article, but all I got from it seemed like power struggle and political hate. Tell me more about the farts please! (Ahhh! What a great way to start my week! I need this. )
Old 09-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Well, I don't know about other countries, but in NZ we get MORE greenhouse emissions from cow/sheep farts than we do from the normal air pollution (because of the high concentration of agriculture in a small area.) But farmers in general need to smarten up - just recently we found out that our biggest lake (lake Taupo) has about 80 years worth of alkalis that the farmers have been dumping indirectly (by not having appropriate run-offs.) So Lake Taupo is going to be full of crap for the next 80+ years.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

We have that problem with giant corporate owned hog farms here in Indiana. The runoff from the manure pits routinely causes fish kills in the nearby creeks and streams, but big business seems to have its ways. If a large hog operation decides to set up near you, you may as well hang it up as far as your property value goes. Words can't describe the constant, putred, acrid, stinky, nose burning smell of tons of pig poo. One reason I don't do "farm animals"...never could get into the smell of poo. Even just a couple animals....stink and flies! bleah.

Last edited by Lizra : 09-29-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I think he has a right to say what he wants - just like the demonstrators have a right to show their outrage.

Howard Stern has been pissing people off for decades with some of his outrageous comments. But if you censor him - don't be surprised if the next person who is censored is yourself.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yeah..but nobody watches or listens to Howard Stern for news though! You just listen to see what stupid thing he's going to say or get naked women to do. What a loser.

Don't censor the guy...certainly he can say what ever he wants, but I'd quickly offer his job to someone with a more professional (and less opinionated) demeanor.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:20 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Yeah..but nobody watches or listens to Howard Stern for news though! You just listen to see what stupid thing he's going to say or get naked women to do. What a loser.

Don't censor the guy...certainly he can say what ever he wants, but I'd quickly offer his job to someone with a more professional (and less opinionated) demeanor.
Most talk shows have a "entertainment" value though. Also - you would be surprised at how many people get their "news" from Bill Mayer, Jay Leno and Howard Stern (I'm not saying all these people have the same style, but they all present news in one form or another).

Also - I watch the French news - and it's really ridiculous some of the stuff they say about America and Americans on there. This is the line up of foreign news I get - 25 WNYE Should Le Journal be censored because they make rude, obnoxious, deragatory comments toward us or our government and president? It is funny how their subtitling miraculously didn't work when Chirac was in NY for the UN meeting and then again today when Laura Bush is in France meeting with Chirac. Makes me think they have something they don't want Americans to hear.

I agree that what the guy said in NZ was racist - but should it be censored? I just don't think so.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-30-2003, 03:43 AM   #9
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I think he has a right to say what he wants - just like the demonstrators have a right to show their outrage.
I did some digging, and it turns out that it is in his (radio) contract that he's not allowed to sexually or racially slur people. He's currently getting around it by claiming that the comment was supposed to be satirical (well, it may have been, but I'm not too convinced....)

As far as the slurs go, it *is* surprising because this guy's never vented such vitriol before. I'm almost cynical enough to believe that it may have been a publicity stunt to boost flagging ratings.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:05 AM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
I did some digging, and it turns out that it is in his (radio) contract that he's not allowed to sexually or racially slur people. He's currently getting around it by claiming that the comment was supposed to be satirical (well, it may have been, but I'm not too convinced....)
Well if it's in his contract - then he broke his contract and the company will have to deal with it.

I was against Bill Mayer being fired from ABC - even though they claimed it was from sagging ratings. I don't buy it - it had to do with his statement that the terrorist were more brave than American fighter pilots who drop their bombs from 13,000 feet. I disagree with his statement (as it was twisted in the media) - but he has a right to say it, even if it did outrage people. But at the same time ABC has a right to fire him. I just disagree with ABC's action.

By the way - does he do straight news or does he do editorial content. If he does straight news - then he should keep his opinions to himself. Editorializing though - is stating your opinions - even if people are outraged by them or offended.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-30-2003 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:47 AM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Another big issue for NZ at the moment is FART tax, which is basically a levy the govt is trying to force upon farmers so that they can finance research pertaining to methane emissions from cattle.

If this 'fart-tax' is really used to finance research into methane emissions, I'd say bring it on. However if it's just another way of pumping people for more money, then I think it's a cowardly approach to hide it in environmental issues.

Quote:
Are other countries considering a type of fart tax as well? (In line with the kyoto agreement?) I guess this particular question concerns those who've undersigned the kyoto agreement more than anything, but I'd be interested to see how non-kyoto-agreement countries are dealing with agricultural 'pollution'.
I don't think it would be implemented here in Belgium any time soon, I also doubt that -if it ever would be implemented -that the profits would go directly to research. I believe methane is one of the lesser pollution factors here. Too much manure and eutrofication is a much more pressing problem of farmers. And then there's still the back lash from numerous animal diseases that plagued us the last several years.

Besides I don't think any politician will want to press the farmers anymore right now (especially since the green party was kicked out of the government in the last election).

Above that farmer organisations are seemingly rather powerful. There's still a lot of argument about implementing another European rule about vulnerable areas. Nearly 80% of Flanders should be labeled as vulnerable areas so that farmers wouldn't be able to use so much fertilizer in those areas. The farmers don't want that because they would of course have less yield. I think right now hardly 25% is cataloged as vulnerable. We've been reprimanded by Europe for this for a few times already I think.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:52 PM   #12
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

the fart tax seems smart. well if theres all this methane gas in the air and its adding to pollution, it might be a good thing.

we could use something like that in the US cept bush is a blundering idiot and wont do anything to help the environment.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

One sure way to reduce the emissions of methane by cattle... eat less beef and drink less milk.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #14
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I've heard about the cow fart thing, too - odd, isn't it? And I've heard about the problems with giant pig farm runoff - seems like these giant operations that just care about massive output are pretty damaging to the environment and the animals, and then all the antibiotics they feed the animals aren't good for people, either. Problems, problems ...

BTW, Sheeana, my parents and sister and bro-in-law are going to be in NZ over Christmas - any suggestions as to what to see? My sister really likes birding.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:57 PM   #15
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
One sure way to reduce the emissions of methane by cattle... eat less beef and drink less milk.
Hmm, well I've given up both of those (vegetarian, and drink soy milk.) Now, how to convince the rest of the world....?

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
BTW, Sheeana, my parents and sister and bro-in-law are going to be in NZ over Christmas - any suggestions as to what to see? My sister really likes birding.
Where abouts are they going? If they're staying in Auckland, there's a lot of potential birding areas in the Waitakere Ranges. But their best bet is to contact the Department of Conservation for that kind of information. There's also Little Barrier Island - which is restricted, but they let some people go over. If you let me know via PM what kind of stuff they're interested in, I'll give you some links and stuff.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:46 PM   #16
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't know any details yet, just that they're heading out your way, but I'll PM you when I find out more - thanks! That island sounds like something they'd like.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #17
jerseydevil

Quote:
Hmm, well I've given up both of those (vegetarian, and drink soy milk.) Now, how to convince the rest of the world....?
Well don't bother with me - I like meat and some dairy products. Withouth milk you can't have cheese or butter. And I love steak.

People can do what they want - but they can't expect everyone else to follow along.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-03-2003, 02:20 AM   #18
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I wasn't planning on it.

I notice that one of your media types just handed in his resignation after making some comments about a black sportsman. Any comments? Should he have resigned?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:06 AM   #19
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Personnaly, I wish that particular one would move to New Zealand and study cow farts!
Old 10-05-2003, 06:38 PM   #20
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
You don't have to convince me... I drink soy milk (best brand I have found is Silk), I rarely eat land meat, including beef, at all (last time I ate beef was ... hmmm... can't remember).

I'm not saying eliminate beef and dairy all together. I wouldn't want someone to dictate to me what I should eat. However, I think people (observations in Europe and US) eat far too much beef and pork. Is it necessary to drink milk as an adult? Green leafy vegetables contain calcium, even orange juice companies are putting calcium and vitamin D into their products now. Think about it. Cow's milk is made by a cow for the purpose of making a little calf into a big cow. I happen to like cheese. I wouldn't give it up for anything, but I don't eat it everyday.

As for the cheeky darkie and the sexist comments: when someone is in the media, it is expected that they behave in an unbiased and unprejudicial way. I know that doesn't always happen, but it is an expectation by the public they service. If it had happened here, in the US, I would have expected him to resign. I would hate to have kids listen to such a thing and think it was ok to do such things. The media should set themselves to a higher standard because they are in the public eye and represent the media company that they work for.

So, I wonder about which part was considered the worst? Was it the "cheeky darkie" comment or the sexist remarks that drew the most complaints. I'm betting it was the "cheeky darkie" comment.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote