Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

The media

by popular demand, here comes da media thread, jump on in ... sources a problem? who cares, this is the media!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

sometimes annoying little *beep* aren't they.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

nice to see el Jammi kick this off with a tabloid 'in depth 'report!

in da words of da dufflepuds ...keep it up chief ...keep it up!

(heh, will be training some right UK hacks how to shoot video for the tabloids soon ... gonna be a larf! )

best BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-27-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
jammi567

especially papers like the Sun and Mirror, which always lie, or really exaggerate the truth. now, you can defernatly trust the Independant, which is totally unbiased.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

yes, in a middle class western-centric liberal leaning world-view kinda way it IS unbiased!

(used to have the best damn photography tho' )
Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
jammi567

are you making fun of what i read?

Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I have a love-hate relationship with Fox News and its conservative slant. They can be so biased that its ridiculous

I also love (hate?) the Fox news ticker "Terror Alert: Elevated" that scolls every other minute - a constant reminder that we are not safe.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 07-27-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
jammi567

and you like them because...

Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
are you making fun of what i read?
well, this the point ... nah not at all ... but biased is as biased thinks, the call is to know and to filter in your own mind ANY source
Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
jammi567

true, true.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

All media sources are biased, peeps. Some are biased towards liberalism, some towards conservatism. It's just a question of degree.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Woah, deja vu... I just said that very same thing on another site today gwai. Eeep.
*goes off to dust off the tin foil hat
Old 07-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #13
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

That's too glib and simplistic, and it's not true. Almost all of them have a conservative bias.

The first thing one needs to do is to put the various media into categories according to who owns them and who calls the editorial tune. Almost all mainstream TV outlets are large corporations and biased by their ownership, some more so than others. CNN is a good example: typically cited as "liberal", it follows the same corporatist agenda as Fox, it's just less openly biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilisation.
I was thinking about this last night, after watching the appallingly ill-informed debate on animal testing for medical research on the BBC. The level of cluelessness on display was astonishing. If journalists were held to the same standards of professionalism and accuracy as the people they delight in hounding (e.g. engineers or doctors), they would be out the door in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Weller
The public wants what the public gets
Which is of course a self-fulfilling prophesy. They'd rather report what Posh Spice had for dinner than the 4m people killed in the Congo. As a result, we'd rather hear about Posh's jobbies, so that's what we get, etc etc.

These turkeys are raking through the bins while the house is on fire.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 07-28-2006 at 04:24 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

so... thoughts on Murdoch and his peers?

favourite / most hated papers ?

tell me about Fox ...

how is ABC perceived over there?

da BBC?

new media and it's brave new, to be consumed tiredly, world?

Blogs and one world?

mass independent individual communication?

web forums and specilasist sites?

video email?

on demand mobile world?

VNR's?

viral ads?

Belgian tv?

Aussie tv?

Kiwi tv?

swedish and Norwegian tv?

corporate film messages and product placement?

anti Corporate / establishment themes in the movies?

Celebreity culture and reality TV?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
I was thinking about this last night, after watching the appallingly ill-informed debate on animal testing for medical research on the BBC. The level of cluelessness on display was astonishing. If journalists were held to the same standards of professionalism and accuracy as the people they delight in hounding (e.g. engineers or doctors), they would be out the door in no time.

Which is of course a self-fulfilling prophesy. They'd rather report what Posh Spice had for dinner than the 4m people killed in the Congo. As a result, we'd rather hear about Posh's jobbies, so that's what we get, etc etc.

These turkeys are raking through the bins while the house is on fire.
I agree. The ignorance and triviality on display in much of the print and broadcast media is shocking - or would be, if anyone had any illusions that the public good was the media's priority, rather than profit. The BBC is often a shining exception to the rule, but that only makes it more irritating when it succumbs to the commercial consensus and wastes our money on trash.

I'm trying to write a reply to your other excellent point, but it keeps turning into a rant (with excessive use of the words 'smug', 'incestuous' 'lazy' and 'patronising self-fertilising professional media class') so I might hold off on that for a bit
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-31-2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Attempt to control immoderate ranting
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

a little Right Wing Humor

ABC- the All Bill Clinton network
CBS- canned B*** S*** network
NBC- the New Bill Clinton network
CNN- the Clinton News Network
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

P.S. Fox was abducted by the renegade aliens and Scully is still looking for him.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #18
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i read four newspapers, only two regularly
i read the somerset county gazette and the bridgwater mercury regularly, and when i get to i also read the guardian and the independent. i used to read the times (lord only knows why)

occasionally i also read the west somerset free press too

i dont like the news on bbc or itv, it is poor reporting, and often biased...i watch channel5 news or channel4 news...i do however watch bbc news 24 at nite for the next days weather
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
jammi567

i actually think that channel 4 news is very biased compared to the bbc news.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Wow, somebody's still smarting about Clinton. Did he give you a knock-back or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I'm trying to write a reply to your other excellent point, but it keeps turning into a rant (with excessive use of the words 'smug', 'incestuous' 'lazy' and 'patronising self-fertilising professional media class') so I might hold off on that for a bit
No, those are good. Go for it! I can almost guarantee wholehearted agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi
i actually think that channel 4 news is very biased compared to the bbc news.
In what direction? I find it hard to detect a bias in C4 news. They are more in-depth than all other news TV except Newsnight, by which time I am usually crashed out these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
new media and it's brave new, to be consumed tiredly, world?
Apt adverb. Overload such that nobody can care about anything except themselves any more; because anything is possible, nothing is possible; stealing the conviction of the best, inflaming the intensity of the worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Blogs and one world?
See sun-star's point re: incestuous. Check out how many commentators cite each other's blogs. These media are rapidly being co-opted by the same old crowd, all reading and quoting each other's vanity, like a particularly unedifying and sordid sketch by the Marquis de Sade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
mass independent individual communication?
What, like a party? Yay! Party! * glug *
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
web forums and specilasist sites?
Never heard of that last one, but web forums are groovy, we just don't know how to use them yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
video email?
God help us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
on demand mobile world?
Whose demand, mine or theirs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
VNR's?
There are very good clinics for that sort of thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
viral ads?
See above, except prevention is better than cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Belgian tv?
'Nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Aussie tv?
They export the best stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Kiwi tv?
They have TV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
swedish and Norwegian tv?
Now you're talking. Set the video...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
corporate film messages and product placement?
Death
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
anti Corporate / establishment themes in the movies?
Fine as long as they are adequately merchandised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Celebreity culture and reality TV?
What is the collective noun for "contradictions in terms"? A "Bush"?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote