Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Should movie fans read the books?

it is obvious that BB hasn't read the books - yet is able to tell book fans that we don't know what we are talking about with the movies. Now book fans have read the books AND seen the movies. Do you think that for a person to really discuss the quality of the movies and what jackson did that they should have also read the books?

Is it enough to really judge these films without having read the books? I say no. There was way too much changed in my opinion to say whether jackson brought the books faithfully to the screen or if they could have been better. BB and others constantly say that jackson couldn't have done them any better than they were. I disagree. Flight to the Ford is the absolute worst change in the movies. It affected the key development of the main character. Treebread not knowing that Saruman was destroying his forest is another big change. The biggest unforgivable change though is Aragorn running from his heritage and being a wimp.

How can someone judge the quality of Jackson's interpretation of books without having read them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-05-2003 at 02:01 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote