Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2002, 12:40 AM   #1
Varda-Me
Hobbit

Ents

Maybe it's just me, but I was always somewhat disappointed in the Ent storyline. Don't get me wrong - I love Ents (who wouldn't want an Ent in their life, although it would be hard to find a place for it), but it always seemed to me that the storyline came to a dead end. One never knows what happens to them. Indeed, one never knows what happened to the Entwives. The whole thing just sort of seemed to go nowhere. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 01:26 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

When I think of the Ents, I imagine creatures on a totally different "time schedule". Everything they did took so long, they had been around forever. The passing of ages was a day in the life for Ents, so their story just can't be told like everyone else's. The Ents probably stood around talking about the Isengard thing for twenty centurys! Their story moves too slowly to tell! This is based on nothing but my imagination.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:14 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Ents

Ents do normally take a long time to do things. They don't like to be hasty, unless they are aroused. In terms of Isenguard, they were more angry than they had been in ages, so they came to their decision in a record 1 day (maybe 2.)
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No, I think it's just another doomed and tragic storyline. Tolkien seemed to like them somewhat. I personally think it makes it more interesting that he didn't resolve it. Although in Letters he suggested that maybe the entwives were wiped out in Sauron's scorched earth policy.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I agree with the notion that the Ent storyline is far and away beyond the scope of LOTR. Besides, I prefer that the story is left largely implicit, highlighting one last moment of glory of a race in decline... and, as you'd expect from Tolkien, the triumph of the natural over the grotesque machinations of artificiality.

I'm of the school of thought that in any form of storytelling, what's left ambiguous is often just as effective as exposition. What's not said says just as much as what is.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:09 PM   #6
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
I feel really stupid here but

What exactly is an Ent?
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:08 PM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Um...

I think it's best you read the novel first... then you'll see. I don't think a description would do them justice.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

"Novel" ?! IP, you should know better!
Old 09-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Whatever you want to call Tolkein's Great Work...

...yes it would be good to read the Trilogy..book...novel...thing. An Ent is an ancient tree-like creature. Ents are the males and Entwives are the females.

Sauron killed virtually all the Famales who lived on what is now the Brown Lands. The Ents stayed in the forest Fangorn.

It is rumoured that an Entwife was seen in the Shire. But no-one's sure.

This was a severly inadequate description of the amazing Ents.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think I remember reading in 'Letters' that it was also possible that there still were a few entwives either as slaves in Mordor or hiding in the far east.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:15 PM   #11
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

In the "Conspiracy" chapter there is a story about "creatures as big as an elm" seen in the northern lands. Could be a stray Ent or Entwife.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:17 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

... or a troll.

I doubt it would be an Entwife since there were no gardens in the old forest.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:33 PM   #13
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
... or a troll.

I doubt it would be an Entwife since there were no gardens in the old forest.
Or me clomping around looking for a midnight snack.

...and the old forest is west not north Plus I don't know how old the story was...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-27-2002, 08:32 AM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Cirdan
...and the old forest is west not north
actually it was north west.

Cirdan, are you that big??? you are an elf right?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:50 PM   #15
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
actually it was north west.

Cirdan, are you that big??? you are an elf right?
Think Stryder. Tall, steel blue eyes, grey flecked dark hair, disheveled clothing. But I will be king someday.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-27-2002, 02:52 PM   #16
rainbow
Enting

oooooooooooooo,

mayb entwives decided to sailaway to the land of no return after many of them had been killed by sauron and end their greif by sailing off into the sunset?

thats imagination i think the ent story line is best left unfinished because u hav to have sum loose ends a story can be too perfect and its nice to hav some things to consider for yourself

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:51 PM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm going off on a complete tangent, but doing it so briefly that it doesn't warrant another thread (yet), so ignore me:

Quote:
"Novel" ?! IP, you should know better!
Um... don't see what you're getting at here. Did I miss some sort of big semantic debate about this while I was on leave?

So... what else am I to call it? Literary masterpiece? Magnum opus? Epic achievement? Genre-defining fiction?

Because it sure as hell ain't a trilogy.

Old 09-28-2002, 03:24 AM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Beardofpants is quite correct. I was going to get on your case about it, but I'm getting tired of doing that these days

The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien said, is not at all a novel, but "an heroic romance", which Tolkien said was "a much older style of literature". So call it a romance, or in full a heroic romance.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:15 AM   #19
Cirdan

As a literary form. It is still, however, a significantly long work of fiction and as such is can be described as a novel in the physical sense. An even more general to that is still acurate is... book.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-29-2002, 04:52 AM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Um, anyway, about them Ents...