Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 02:54 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

Iraq

Here is a very topicial topic and one that i am sure a lot of you hold dear to you. what are we going to do with Iraq? Its clear america wants war. Its clear england doesnt want to upset america and its also clear the rest of the world would rather have the international comunity deal with it without there own country deal with the problem (the fatal flaw of the UN).

What are your personal feelings on this? would an attack be justified? Has Iraq acctually made an attack on the US?

My pernal feelings have allways been that sadam was never intrested in messing with america he just wanted to happily invade quate and that be that. But america got in his way and his plans failed.

They claim to have proof that hes making wepons of mass destuction but ive never felt he wanted to deal with the USA he knows he would get his ass kicked to the moon and back.

This seems to be a problem that wont go away until something drastic is done it should of been sorted in the first war with the deposing of sadam (thats the way any war should end). So whats the answer i dont think the war is really to do with Iraq as a country i think the real key is sadam and i think he needs to be deposed with a carefully targeted special force opperation or if you will assination.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

A "topical topic", eh?

We recently had a debate about this in Government class. I believe that we should go to war, but only if nothing gets accomplished through other means (like the U.N.).

On another note, don't let this discussion turn into a flame war or a game of "pass the buck" (This country is to blame. No, no, this country is to blame. Etc...) This kind of topic has a tendency to flare tempers. Don't let it get out of hand.

Psalm 107:31
Old 10-09-2002, 11:03 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I believe they should go through the appropriate channels first (UN). Also, I'm a bit leery of the fact that Iraq seems to be an old sore rather than a threat. I don't buy the 45 minutes WMD thing that Tony nincompoop Blair is trying to sell. Personally, I'd worry more about Iran....

Also: what would the repurcussions be of going to war with Iraq? Especially if they agree to UN inspections? Is this the first on a checklist of areas that are on the planned invasion list? (Axis of Evil?)

It has been intimated that M16 and CIA agents were smuggled into the last lot of UN weapons inspections in Iraq. I'd hope that this time the UN are more wary of such a compromise occuring. I mean, can you really blame Saddam, madman that he is, for being wary of letting UN inspectors into his personal quarters where there will most likely be sensitive information? In light of the fact that federal agents might have been working as UN inspectors?
Old 10-10-2002, 05:59 AM   #4
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Oh man, don't get me started

Morally, it boils down to whether we should, with overwhelming force, initiate an assault on a sovereign nation because we want to control their natural resources.

So, er, I think the answer is NO (I took Moral Philosophy 101)

Happy to explain why this is the case if people want to hear it.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

to tell you the truth, that ol' hilbilly G.W. Bush is a little girl, he picks a fight then sends off all his army to go fight the fight for him... he'll probly get me killed for that *nervously looking over shoulder expecting bullet*
but that is none of my business if America wants to fight Iraq go for it... if John Howard starts kissing Bush again and he decided to go to war aswell.. well i say we send them out first...
i reckon that Bush should just go back to texas and play toy soldiers and war games there...
Old 10-10-2002, 09:27 AM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

Its everyones business if america go to war. I feel sorry for them in a way. Because its a problem that Bush has made for himself Iraq on the global scales isnt nthat much of a threat to america and he knows it. But he seems to want to take care of things which in a way is fair enough because im one for action and not just letting things fester away.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:29 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, that's the general feel isn't it: That Dubya wants to take care of old family business - he has even said as much. Which to me, doesn't make much sense when there are greater threats to America out there. But I guess Iraq is probably just first one the list.

You know: it's funny. Before the gulf war when America was such buddies with Iraq, they were santioning the atrocities that Iraq were doing to Iran. "Hey you just sank an American ship! Oh...? You thought it was an Iranian one....? Well, okay, then."
Old 10-10-2002, 04:32 PM   #8
Sween
im quite stupid

How easy we forget the past . It is just family business and its shocking that someone can wheild that much power
Old 10-10-2002, 04:41 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hmm...

Well, iraq is (supposedly) shooting at american and british planes on a regular basis.

I think this problem is the result of a lack of backbone by western parties. The UN in particular, seems to be a major proponent of of 'give him just one more chance' 'one more chance' 'jsut one more... etc. We should have slagged him the first time... how much reason do we need to finish the job?
Old 10-10-2002, 04:42 PM   #10
Sween
im quite stupid

so he shots t our planes occasionally does he acctually expect to hit them. as i have said b4 its a game toi him he loves winding up the americans he finds it well funny.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:47 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That's just about the stupedist thing I've ever heard, sween. What are you, ten years old?

Shooting at someone and missing carries only a slightly lighter sentance than hitting them.

But hey, if it's ok for saddam to play around by shooting at american planes, what's wrong with bush playing around with invasion?
Old 10-10-2002, 04:52 PM   #12
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
That's just about the stupedist thing I've ever heard, sween. What are you, ten years old?

Shooting at someone and missing carries only a slightly lighter sentance than hitting them.

But hey, if it's ok for saddam to play around by shooting at american planes, what's wrong with bush playing around with invasion?
well i am affraid i diagree with you on that. Its not stupid. Sadam is a bit of a mad person in all fairness (his football team looked so happy when they won the other day probably because they would not get any beatings)

Do you think sadam could find any better form of ammusement than getting the americans all puffed up about him shoting a few stay shots at there planes? no he loves it. he is a wind up merchent. hes like that boy at school that would spend all day flicking but of paper at you and when you turned round to beat the living day lights out of him ran off and hid in the corner for a lesson then started all over again.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #13
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I doubt the Kurds would view Hussein in such a harmless light...

Perhaps more later. my mid-terms
Old 10-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Hmm...

Well, iraq is (supposedly) shooting at american and british planes on a regular basis.
You know, maybe, just maybe that is because US planes keep taking out the radar on their civilian airports?

Or could it be that the US/Brit planes are violating Iraq airspace? You fly into hostile territory, what do you expect? A party?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-10-2002 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:39 PM   #15
osszie
Elven Warrior

Well at least the americans can tell which arms and armaments they'll be facing...........they can look at their receipts from the sanction days

far too easy to start flaming in here...........keeping me gob shut

but me eyes open
Old 10-10-2002, 05:41 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by osszie
far too easy to start flaming in here...........keeping me gob shut
Yeah: I should take a leaf outta your book. My pinky leftist views usually get me in trouble....
Old 10-10-2002, 06:28 PM   #17
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

What I find funny is that Blair and his cronies are traveling to various different countries to try and gather support for the killing of thousands of civilians, yet they still haven't convinced the people of the United Kingdom that War on Iraq is needed, as the general opinion of the populace in the United Kingdom is one that is opposed to war.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:33 PM   #18
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
What I find funny is that Blair and his cronies are traveling to various different countries to try and gather support for the killing of thousands of civilians, yet they still haven't convinced the people of the United Kingdom that War on Iraq is needed, as the general opinion of the populace in the United Kingdom is one that is opposed to war.
Erm.........I was gonna keep me gob shut but welcome back CBG ............we can always rely on the Admins in a time of international crisis

BoP the world could do with MORE pinky leftist views
Old 10-10-2002, 06:36 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Oh yes, I find that completely hysterical. I wonder how much he's shot himself in the foot in terms of re-election possibilities --- especially when his OWN caucus thinks he's a joke. Me wonders why he wants to be in Bush's pocket so much... yessss, me wonders.

Good to see you around again, CBG.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:02 PM   #20
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Me wonders why he wants to be in Bush's pocket so much...
Pocket? Lap more like.

One question, why are you so interested in Britains affairs BeardOfPants?
Closed Thread