Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Ireth
Elven Warrior

Chapter 8 : The Potions Master

Chapter Eight: The Potions Master.

This chapter begins with Harry Potter being pointed and stared at by nearly everyone who sees him. It’s particularly difficult for Harry as he ignores the excessive attention given to him while trying to find his way to classes.

A vivid description of the Hogwarts castle with the various quirks of the stairs, ghosts doors and portraits follows.

We are next introduced to Mr. Filch and his cat, Mrs. Norris. Harry and Ron get on his wrong side straight away while trying to force their way through a door that led to the out-of-bounds corridor. Mr. Filch threatens to lock them up in the dungeons for their deed.

Considering the fact that they were only first years who'd lost their way, I'd say it was a little too strict of Mr. Filch to have threatened the dungeons.

Mrs. Norris has quite a reputation too.

Wonder why she's called that? 'Mrs. Norris' isn't exactly what you'd name your cat is it?

The classes they had were Astronomy, Herbology, History of magic, Charms, Transfiguration, Defense against the Dark Arts and Potions.

The professors are described next. Each of them, a brilliant mind.

Professor Flitwick: Excitable
Professor McGonagall: Strict, clever and fair.
Professor Binns: Dedicated (?)
Professor Quirrell: A Joke
Professor Snape: Well that's what the chapter is about isn't it?

The mails arrive that morning and to Harry's immense surprise; Hedwig brings him a note from Hagrid asking them to join him for tea. Good for Harry. He does have something to look forward to, but

Why does Hagrid invite Harry for tea? Does he do this to everyone he happens to know or is it just a privilege accorded to Harry? If so, why?

Potions Lessons are called the worst thing that happened to Harry so far(at least according to him). Harry discovers that his idea about Professor Snape disliking him had been a little 'understated'. Snape hated Harry or at least that's what Harry thought.

The potions master is portrayed as someone who is cold and commanding. He has the ability to 'keep a class silent without effort'.

What would you attribute this to?

It wasn't really a surprise when JKR revealed that Professor Snape was a former death eater in book four, was it? The foundation for that fact starts right here, in this chapter.

Snape picks upon Harry at the start of class itself. While taking the roll call, he pauses at Harry's name and says, "Harry Potter. Our new -- celebrity"

Why does Snape, a professor, much older and definitely more mature a person than the average eleven year old resort to such childish tactics to nettle Harry?

It is not very fair either, to expect a student to know much during his very first class(excepting Hermione, of course). And his final remark, "Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything" is decidedly mean.

How would you explain these actions?

Poor Neville. Melting a cauldron and being covered in boils isn't exactly a great way to start Potions is it?

Why must Snape dock a point from Gryffindor because Harry didn't warn Neville? It wasn't Harry's fault anyway.

At Hagrid's cottage, Ron and Harry get rather comfortable and enjoy their visit until Harry spots the article about the break in at Gringotts'.

He isn't quite convinced that Hagrid was being truthful but goes back to the castle with his pocket weighed down with rock cakes and seeds of curiosity firmly planted in his head.
Ireth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Quote:
Wonder why she's called that? 'Mrs. Norris' isn't exactly what you'd name your cat is it?
i guess if you're really devoted to cat, and you're on your own a lot of the time, then i think you would call your cat that, to make it more personal.

Quote:
The classes they had were Astronomy, Herbology, History of magic, Charms, Transfiguration, Defense against the Dark Arts and Potions.
does anyone find it strange that we didn't have a single DADA lesson. because normally we do, to get a feel to what the teacher's like.

Quote:
Why does Hagrid invite Harry for tea? Does he do this to everyone he happens to know or is it just a privilege accorded to Harry? If so, why?
i'm sure it's a mixture of dd's orders and hagrids excitment of meating harry. again.

Quote:
The potions master is portrayed as someone who is cold and commanding. He has the ability to 'keep a class silent without effort'.

What would you attribute this to?
it's just the way he speeks and moves. it just sounds so capurvating, almost hypnotic like.

Quote:
It wasn't really a surprise when JKR revealed that Professor Snape was a former death eater in book four, was it? The foundation for that fact starts right here, in this chapter.
ohhhhhhh,yeah, you better belive it.

Quote:
Why does Snape, a professor, much older and definitely more mature a person than the average eleven year old resort to such childish tactics to nettle Harry?
think about it. the best way to annoy a child upto when they're a teenager, is to act on their level. because if you go any higher, they'll either a) won't take you seriously, or b) won't understand what you're saying.

Quote:
It is not very fair either, to expect a student to know much during his very first class(excepting Hermione, of course). And his final remark, "Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything" is decidedly mean.

How would you explain these actions?
simple. james did stuff to him in the past, and as he isn't there anymore, snapes taking out his anger on harry.

Quote:
Why must Snape dock a point from Gryffindor because Harry didn't warn Neville? It wasn't Harry's fault anyway.
see above.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Good summary, Ireth!

Now, Filch. He'd never have locked them up, you know, because he doesn't have the authority. I guess he just said it cos he enjoyed the expression on their faces. i mean, how many times are we told that Filch hates the students?

As for Mrs. Norris... I always wondered who Mr. Norris was..

Hagrid and Harry obviously hit it off well, and Hagrid knew Lily and James pretty well (he was howling in Ch1 at the thought of their death) and like he said In Book 4, Harry reminded him of himself, alone and friendless etc. I gues he thought it'd make Harry feel more at home to invite him over.

The point about Quirrel is something I wondered about as well. Maybe she was just intent on keeping the spotlight focused on Snape and not Quirrel and this was just another way of pushing him to the background. Or maybe it was one of the numerous cuts the editors made on the first book..

Snape definitely struck me as meaner than the meanest ghost when I read this chapter. Such a bully ~ As for why he did what he did, I agree with jammi, more or less, and also agree that it was childish and petty to the extreme. I wonder how Harry's treatment would have been had he looked less like James?

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 10-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireth
Mrs. Norris has quite a reputation too.

Mrs Norris is the name of a character in Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, a horrible aunt of the heroine. I think JKR has said she borrowed the name because Mrs Norris the cat is as nosy and spiteful as Mrs Norris the woman.
Quote:
Hagrid feels a special connection to Harry for the reasons Serenoli described. He also knows from their first meeting that Harry doesn't know much about the wizarding world and maybe needs a friend to help him out.

Quote:
Because he's a terrible teacher. Also because he's never really grown up emotionally himself - he sees an opportunity to get revenge on someone who looks like James, and he takes advantage of Harry's vulnerable youth and naivety.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I'm back! At least, temporarily.
Considering the fact that they were only first years who'd lost their way, I'd say it was a little too strict of Mr. Filch to have threatened the dungeons.
Yes, he could have pointed them in the right direction. He's just mean like that.
I had no idea, I never thought about it. Thanks sun-star!
I agree with Serenoli, I think it was nice of him.

I wouldn't really want to be attracting attention to myself in Snape's class. I think everyone could sense even in the first class how mean he is.
Well, it works pretty well.

I think he couldn't help himself. It was very mean, he's just like that.
He's just mean like that. Imagine, hating James that much for so many years that he has to resort to childish behavior to make himself feel better. However, I don't exactly think he's a terrible teacher. They do learn a lot from him. Especially when he teaches Defence against the Dark Arts. He's better then some of their teachers. (I can't believe I'm sticking up for Snape)

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Well... and here was I thinking Snape was a hot topic for discussion... and look, he gets the smallest reception!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Exactly what i was thinking.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote