Hedwig

New:

Ron, Ginny, Fred, George, Percy and Molly Weasley
Hermione Granger
Neville Longbottom
Vincent Crabbe
Gregory Goyle

Synopsis:

Harry’s acceptance marks a positive change in his life, though not without cost. While he is no longer shouted at, bossed around, or forced to sleep in a cupboard, the Dursleys instead pretend he does not exist. Harry passes his time in his room with Hedwig, reading his school books.

Uncle Vernon agrees to drive Harry to King’s Cross station so Harry can take the train to school. Dudley will also have the pig’s tail removed in London, before he goes to his own school, Smeltings.

The Dursleys leave Harry at King’s Cross standing between platforms nine and ten. Harry is completely stranded until he hears people with owls discussing Muggles. Harry approaches the family, who turn out to be the Weasleys (minus Arthur, Bill, and Charlie).

Mrs. Weasley kindly explains to Harry how to get onto the platform, and he and Ron follow Percy, Fred, and George. On the train, Harry and the Weasley boys are introduced. They’re impressed that he defeated Voldemort and want to see his scar. Harry is a bit embarassed at this unusual attention.

Fred, George, and Percy disperse and Ron and Harry have a compartment to themselves. Harry buys an assortment of cakes, pastries and sweets which he shares with his new friend.

Harry’s life is really taking a turn for the better here. He’s safely on the train, has made his first real friend, and is starting to enjoy some of the benefits of magic (namely, stupendous food and Chocolate Frog cards).

Harry and Ron meet Hermione and Neville, who are looking for Neville’s toad. They are also visited by Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. Draco is incredibly rude to Ron, then in his own way, offers friendship to Harry. Harry refuses, and Draco and his cronies leave nastily. Ron and Harry’s friendship is cemented for life.

It is now nighttime, and Ron and Harry change into their school robes. The train has arrived, and all the first years are ushered off the train by Hagrid, who gives them their first taste of Hogwarts.

They are led down a dark, winding path to a large lake. They then pile into small boats, four at a time, which takes them across the lake to an underground harbour. As they sail, they are treated to incredible views of Hogwarts castle, which has many towers and rises majestically on a cliff. Hagrid finds Neville’s toad, then they all climb up a passageway to Hogwarts front door. Hagrid knocks three times on the door; they have arrived at Hogwarts.

Discussion Points: Serious Character Flaws?

Disclaimer: I know that Rowling has written us creative and wonderful fantasy books. I am perfectly aware of their fantasy status, but she has also set them in “Muggle” England, and thus I feel these are perfectly valid character flaws:

1. What the hell is wrong with the Dursleys!? They abandon an eleven-year-old boy at a busy London train station with no money, a huge trunk he can barely move, and an owl. Harry has also expressed to his uncle that he knows absolutely nothing about the location of his school, only that he must take a train at eleven. The Dursleys are convinced this train doesn’t exist, and yet, they leave him there. What is wrong with these people?

I realise they are nasty people who emotionally and verbally abuse Harry on a daily basis, but by abandoning him at the train station, do you think Rowling has made the Dursleys’ characters even more abominable and morally bankrupt than she intended?

2. Dumbledore seems to have overlooked the fact that Muggles, until receiving the acceptance letter, have no knowledge whatsoever of Hogwarts or the Wizarding world. Harry’s difficulties at the platform would have been a total disaster had he not overheard the Weasleys. Shouldn’t the Headmaster of a magical school that accepts Muggle-born wizards plan for this scenario?

The lack of planning suggests a deep bias against Muggles, or that wizards are totally ignorant of the Muggle world. (Though Dumbledore, who also has a scar in the shape of a London Underground map on his knee, does not strike me as ignorant of anything.)

3. Why did Hermione’s parents (and other Muggle parents who care for their children’s safety) ship her to a heretofore unknown school, solely based on a letter delivered by an owl?

(I don’t want this section to come across as too negative. I really, really love this book, and that’s why I think about it a lot. Perhaps a bit too much. )

Discussion Points: Character Growth

1. Harry chooses to be friends with Ron, and not with Draco. This choice effects the outcome of the entire book. Discuss the effects of their friendship, as well as possible scenarios that might have ensued had Harry decided to be friends with Draco.

2. Harry places a lot of trust in Mrs. Weasley. He takes her at her word when she tells him to run headlong into a solid brick column. Discuss Harry’s ability to place his trust in the right people, at the right time.

General Points for Discussion:

1. On Dumbledore’s Chocolate Frog card, it mentions his defeat of Grindelwald in 1945. Do you think this date is meant to suggest that there was magical involvement in World War II, or is it simply to indicate how freaking old Dumbledore is?

2. This chapter, like the entire book, is full of funny scenes and lines. My favourites:

George to Ginny:
“We’ll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat.”

And Ron, about Neville looking for his toad:
“Don’t know why he’s so bothered. If I’d brought a toad I’d lose it as quick as I could. Mind you, I brought Scabbers, so I can’t talk.”

What are your favourite scenes or lines?

3. Feel free to add any other discussion points to this chapter.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

That's a very good way of doing thing, which i haven't seen done before. So:

1) Of course he has. This is a good way of setting them up for two things a) making us feel later on that they've got their own back when more and more of the wizarding world enters their own, and they can't do anything about it. And b) making us surprised when Harry saves their lifes for whatever reason in book seven (possibility).

2) Of course he isn't. That would be going totally against his nature. If wizards/witches are born in muggle familes, then he probally does what he did in 1938, and to Harry-send a member of the school to the house to explain the situation, and understand what it means to be entering their world.

3) Because they would've had everything explained to them (see above point).

1) Had Harry gone with Draco, and sat and talked with him, by the time they got to Hogwarts, Harry still wouldn't want to be in Slytherin, because he would've heard and seen the values they followed, and would've hated them, and so still would've been in Griffindor. However, the relationship with Ron would've been the same, because Harry would remember Rons mum, and the help she gave. He would t5alk to him about that, and the convo would've gone roughly the same as on the train.

2) *shrugs shoulders* i'll post later, when i've had time to think about it.

1) It might be, but most likely not. He was probally a small gang leader, who did a it of bad stuff, and happened to drop by in Hogmead, where dd, hearing about this, sorted them out. For more info, click here.

2) When the twins mess around with their names, so that Mrs Wealsey gets confused.

Some questions i have:

1) Why, oh why, doesn't Mrs Weasley know what the platform number is? She's been there since Bill started, and yet, she doesn't know.

2) Why does Scabbers AKA Peter Pettigrew, defend Ron, when there's nothing in it for him?

3) Do you find Hermione rude? Because she forces herself into the compartment, and then just goes on and on about stuff the boys just don't care about.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
1) Of course he has. This is a good way of setting them up for two things a) making us feel later on that they've got their own back when more and more of the wizarding world enters their own, and they can't do anything about it. And b) making us surprised when Harry saves their lifes for whatever reason in book seven (possibility).
Of course he has what?

Quote:
2) Of course he isn't. That would be going totally against his nature. If wizards/witches are born in muggle familes, then he probally does what he did in 1938, and to Harry-send a member of the school to the house to explain the situation, and understand what it means to be entering their world.

3) Because they would've had everything explained to them (see above point).
You're right, I'm sure Rowling just eliminated some boring exposition by having us assume that Dumbledore or McGonagall met with Muggle parents to explain everything.

That still doesn't explain why Harry knew squat. Nobody tried to meet with him or his guardians, they only sent piles and piles of the acceptance letter.

Quote:
1) Had Harry gone with Draco, and sat and talked with him, by the time they got to Hogwarts, Harry still wouldn't want to be in Slytherin, because he would've heard and seen the values they followed, and would've hated them, and so still would've been in Griffindor. However, the relationship with Ron would've been the same, because Harry would remember Rons mum, and the help she gave. He would t5alk to him about that, and the convo would've gone roughly the same as on the train.
Very insightful. I think, though, if Harry had agreed to be Draco's friend, he logically would have sat in his compartment (where Ron would rather eat Neville's toad than sit). So then, they would have missed a good conversation, though not the really important bits that brought them closer together.

Maybe Harry's decision was made up long before he was born. Dumbledore had Harry left with the Dursley's so he wouldn't grow up to be a bighead because of his fame. Thus Harry had good values (that he clearly did not get from the Dursleys), and he identified with wrong.

Meanwhile, young Draco has a nasty, evil father that he desperately wants to please. He is spoiled completely rotten so that he doesn't even know how to make friends properly. If he had been smart about making friends with Harry, he would have been nice to Ron and joined them in their compartment.

Imagine, Harry, Ron, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle as friends!! That, though, would be an entirely different book, called Harry Potter and the Magical Menagerie.

Quote:
2) *shrugs shoulders* i'll post later, when i've had time to think about it.
No worries. Don't feel obliged to answer all the questions either. You're not going to fail a quiz.

1) It might be, but most likely not. He was probally a small gang leader, who did a it of bad stuff, and happened to drop by in Hogmead, where dd, hearing about this, sorted them out. For more info, click here.[/quote]About the link: Wow. This guy should have written the books. (Blaspheme!)

I agree with him, there must not be anything political about Grindelwald. So, Dumbledore is an old dude then.

Quote:
2) When the twins mess around with their names, so that Mrs Wealsey gets confused.
Yes, I love that so much. (Honestly, you call us our mother. Just kidding, I am George.)

Quote:
Some questions i have:

1) Why, oh why, doesn't Mrs Weasley know what the platform number is? She's been there since Bill started, and yet, she doesn't know.
Yes, this is a bit silly. It must have always been her, and not Arthur, who'd drop the kids off, because she's a stay-at-home mom, and he'd be at work at this time (if he wasn't, I'm sure he would have joined them).

I think this is because Mrs. Weasley comes across as clueless sometimes, even though she's not really clueless at all.

Quote:
2) Why does Scabbers AKA Peter Pettigrew, defend Ron, when there's nothing in it for him?
Because Malfoy is such a git, even Pettigrew thinks he's a git.

It is in his interests for him to stay in Ron's good books. His health is failing, and he needs Ron's care. Maybe he decided it was time to show a little zest, after overhearing Ron compare him to a toad he wouldn't mind losing.

Quote:
3) Do you find Hermione rude? Because she forces herself into the compartment, and then just goes on and on about stuff the boys just don't care about.
Yes, she's very rude. She's generally rude and bossy at the start of the book. Only after the mountain troll incident does she calm down a little bit. I think this is her way of dealing with an unfamiliar situation - read up on it in advance, know everything, then show up and boss everyone around. (She tones this down a lot later too though. I love Hermione.)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 09-10-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
jammi567

Quote:
Of course he has what?
God, stupid keyboard. I meant she has, JK.

Quote:
That still doesn't explain why Harry knew squat. Nobody tried to meet with him or his guardians, they only sent piles and piles of the acceptance letter.
Hagrid was sent. And he did send Harry to the right place, and probally hoped that a fellow student, who knew how to get onto the platform, would show Harry how to do it, and thus let him start making his first friends.

Quote:
Maybe Harry's decision was made up long before he was born. Dumbledore had Harry left with the Dursley's so he wouldn't grow up to be a bighead because of his fame. Thus Harry had good values (that he clearly did not get from the Dursleys), and he identified with wrong.
That's very true.

Quote:
About the link: Wow. This guy should have written the books. (Blaspheme!)

I agree with him, there must not be anything political about Grindelwald. So, Dumbledore is an old dude then.
Actually, that's a women who wrote those essays.

Quote:
It is in his interests for him to stay in Ron's good books. His health is failing, and he needs Ron's care.
Very true. He needs to keep the trust going.

Quote:
Yes, she's very rude. She's generally rude and bossy at the start of the book. Only after the mountain troll incident does she calm down a little bit. I think this is her way of dealing with an unfamiliar situation - read up on it in advance, know everything, then show up and boss everyone around.
In fact, at the beginning, she's as bad as Draco is.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 AM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Aha, you meant Rowling. Now I understand what you were saying.
Quote:
I guess the Dursleys really are meant to be portrayed as disgusting human beings. They only people who associate with them socially are Vernon's sister (who's as nasty as he is), Vernon's boss, and Dudley's group of bullies. Petunia does not seem to have any friends, but she does like spying on the neighbours. We have a limited but probably fairly representative view of the Dursleys' social life.

And the view is, nobody likes them, because they are disgusting human beings. I have no problem with their characters being presented this way, and I absolutely love reading about the Dursleys. They are delightful as characters as they are horrible as people.

Quote:
Hagrid was sent. And he did send Harry to the right place, and probally hoped that a fellow student, who knew how to get onto the platform, would show Harry how to do it, and thus let him start making his first friends.
Maybe Hagrid just screwed up then, because you can't just assume that someone will join up with another family at the platform. It's pretty likely that Harry would have noticed a wizarding family, but too risky to assume this given the total disaster that would ensue had he not met anyone.

Quote:
Actually, that's a women who wrote those essays.
Oops. Couldn't quite see around the chicken beak. She is very brilliant. I've been reading a number of her articles.

Quote:
In fact, at the beginning, she's as bad as Draco is.
Completely true! She was bullying poor Neville about his toad too.
Quote:
Old 09-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Maybe Hagrid just screwed up then, because you can't just assume that someone will join up with another family at the platform. It's pretty likely that Harry would have noticed a wizarding family, but too risky to assume this given the total disaster that would ensue had he not met anyone.
Why do you think there was a chance that he wouldn't have met a wizarding family around Kings Cross, either by chance, or by them coming up to him? Hagrid knew hat any wizarding family that met him would want to help him out.