Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #21
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
hey! ... hand's orf! ... she's mine ... get ya lascivious paws off the beautiful Lizra

best, BB
Heh!
Hey! You! BB.....Come here! I'd like to smell your cologne...... Mmmmmm!

Last edited by Lizra : 08-21-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #22
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Ohhhh, no more discussion. Anything else we can add? Or reply to?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Great summary and discussion points Serenoli. I hope you did well on your A levels (and get lots of OWLs. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
What was the point of Ollivander’s measuring tape? As far as I saw, he handed him completely random wands, with little in common…
Shows what you know about the fine art of choosing someone's wand.

I think from Rowling's perspective, the measuring tape adds more depth and mystery to the magical world. From Olivander's perspective, I think it gives him data that helps him choose wands. For example, maybe different wand materials are attuned to different dimensions of the human body? Maybe the length of the arm is important for a wand with a unicorn hair core, but the circumference of your head is important for oak wands?

I also find it interesting that the two wand materials, aside from whatever magic goes into making them, are a core of part of some magical being (unicorn hair, dragon heart string) and wood for the "body" (oak, and I'm sure all other trees native to Britain).

Quote:
And the appropriate thread for the question: how DID the Dursleys get home?
Roadside assistance.

Quote:
Do you think any of the folk from the Leaky Cauldron will make any appearances in the 7th book? Or were they just extras?
They'll add to the body count.

Quote:
Also, how does Hagrid fly? Maybe he came on that bike of Sirius', because I've never seen a broom near him... but other than the first chapter, I've never seen the flying motorcycle either. Any ideas where that could be?
I think he Apparated; I don't think you need a wand to do that. Otherwise, maybe he just took the train. Aren't there a few instances where wizards took Muggle transit? Or maybe he took the Knight bus. (Would it stop for a pink umbrella?)

Quote:
And, this is obviously something we wont know on our first reading, but any theories on how Quirrel/Voldy managed to get in the vault without getting sucked in and being trapped for ten years?
I'm sure there's some way to break every charm or spell. Lily Potter circumvented an Unforgiveable Curse, I'm sure a talented wizard with a lot of time on his hands like Moldy Voldy could get around a layer of security charms.

He also could have used Legilimens on a guard to get needed passwords, had an agent inside the bank, or used the Crucio curse to make one of the goblins open the vault for him, followed by a really good memory charm.

There's one evil wizard with a disappointingly large amount of resources.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:50 PM   #24
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
He also could have used Legilimens on a guard to get needed passwords, had an agent inside the bank, or used the Crucio curse to make one of the goblins open the vault for him, followed by a really good memory charm.
Or perhaps Imperius? Easier than Crucio, no noise, you know. And, how come they discovered the theft? I mean, the goblins knew the vault had been emptied that day, so obviously they wouldn't be checking on it. Unless the memory charm (on Cruciod/Impeurised goblin) was faulty, how could they know of the robbery? I mean, if you did use a gringotts Goblin, any Secrecy Sensors, (or that spell Umbridge used on her office) wouldnt be triggered. It really sounds like Q-Voldy somehow forced the door open, and that was discovered.

BTW, would Quirrel-Voldy have all of Voldy's powers? I mean, he only went away for a year, according to Hagrid, would he have time to learn all the Unforgiveables?

And, another interesting bit about Quirrell. Now, considering the jinx on the DADA position, this should Quirrel's first year teaching in Hogwarts. But when Hagrid talks about him, its like Quirrel was there before. Notice all the 'scared of his own students' stuff. Now Hagrid may have met the new teacher, but unless he's actually seen Quirrel around Hogwarts, how was he supposed to know all that? (He also hasnt seen Quirrel much after coming back from that trip of his, did he? I mean, it must have been the year just before, surely) Any explanations?

As for the flying, Hagrid tells Harry he flew, which is obviously not the same as Apparating. I mean, he probably didnt fly all the way, but he seems to have flown to the island from the mainland at the least.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #25
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You know what else I love about this chapter? Diagon Alley = Diagonally

Quote:
Or perhaps Imperius? Easier than Crucio, no noise, you know. And, how come they discovered the theft? I mean, the goblins knew the vault had been emptied that day, so obviously they wouldn't be checking on it. Unless the memory charm (on Cruciod/Impeurised goblin) was faulty, how could they know of the robbery? I mean, if you did use a gringotts Goblin, any Secrecy Sensors, (or that spell Umbridge used on her office) wouldnt be triggered. It really sounds like Q-Voldy somehow forced the door open, and that was discovered.
Oh yes, Imperius would have worked very well for their purposes. Maybe they used Imperius to get to the vault, but had to force the door open at the end.

Quote:
BTW, would Quirrel-Voldy have all of Voldy's powers? I mean, he only went away for a year, according to Hagrid, would he have time to learn all the Unforgiveables?
Heck, Harry knows all the Unforgiveables and he hasn't even graduated yet. I don't think be-turbaned Quirrel would have all of Voldemort's powers. I think the progression of the books shows us that, how Voldemort gains power each time he gets closer to a real body.

Dear Voldemort,
Just... die already.
Love,
Harry

Quote:
And, another interesting bit about Quirrell. Now, considering the jinx on the DADA position, this should Quirrel's first year teaching in Hogwarts. But when Hagrid talks about him, its like Quirrel was there before. Notice all the 'scared of his own students' stuff. Now Hagrid may have met the new teacher, but unless he's actually seen Quirrel around Hogwarts, how was he supposed to know all that? (He also hasnt seen Quirrel much after coming back from that trip of his, did he? I mean, it must have been the year just before, surely) Any explanations?
Maybe he wasn't "scared of his own students" in the sense that he was scared of his students from last year, but just that he was scared of everything, including his newly acquired class?

Quote:
As for the flying, Hagrid tells Harry he flew, which is obviously not the same as Apparating. I mean, he probably didnt fly all the way, but he seems to have flown to the island from the mainland at the least.
Oh. I got nothing then.

But you also don't need a wand to fly a broomstick. Hagrid would be a perfectly good wizard if his wand wasn't in pieces. If I was Hagrid I'd buy another wand and do magic on the sly, but maybe he promised Dumbledore he wouldn't do that. It's not like Hagrid has a problem breaking rules though, typical Gryffindor.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #26
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Quote:
Quirril had a year there (when it was the twins first year). He then couldn't cope with something, and so left after that year to get some more experiance. After that, he came back, and taught again in Harry's first year. For more info,click here.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote