Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Flannery O'Connor

Has anyone here read any of her stories? They are most definitely not for those who like happy endings, but I like them all the same. I think two of my personal favorites are "Revelation" and "Parker's Back".

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
Has anyone here read any of her stories? They are most definitely not for those who like happy endings, but I like them all the same. I think two of my personal favorites are "Revelation" and "Parker's Back".
Yeah! and I enjoyed them a lot. Those are great pieces of literature!

I read some of her short stories. I remember enjoying especially "A good man is hard to find", but I remember that Revelation and Parker's Back were also there, only that I cannot remember them too well now...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

"A Good Man is Hard to Find" has an ending that caught me completely by surprise. But it was a great story. Another ending that blindsided me was in "The Lame Shall Enter First".

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
"A Good Man is Hard to Find" has an ending that caught me completely by surprise. But it was a great story. Another ending that blindsided me was in "The Lame Shall Enter First".
Surprise at the end is a distintive mark of Flannery O'Connor, doesn't it?
It's been said that it is her literary way of speaking about the "divine providence" the care that God has for humans and about the change that the divine grace works in men/women.