Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

J.M. Barrie

Well, I don't know if anyone on this board has read anything by or about J.M. Barrie besides what he's best known for- Peter Pan, but Barrie's life and works are up for discussion here.

I've always loved the story of Peter Pan since I first saw the Disney animated version when I was a kid. When I got older I read the book, and was a million times more enchanted. I read it at least once a year, it's a delightful book. I thought at the time that Barrie's only significant work was Peter Pan.

About a month ago, however, I went to see the movie Finding Neverland, and, as is usual with me, I wanted to see how much of the true story was actually portrayed in the movie (as it turns out, not very much. But that's okay, I still think it's a good movie--- did I just say that?). I read a biography by Andrew Birkin called J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, and I find myself very intrigued by the story of Barrie's life, as well as his own mind.

I've also read a few of his plays since then, which I find charming, and also The Little Minister, which is probably a better work than Peter Pan (although the latter still remains my favorite).

If you are like me, and haven't really thought of J.M.B. further than Peter Pan, I encourage you to look into some of his other works- they are quite good and shouldn't be missed. For those of you who have read any of Barrie's works, here's the place to discuss them- as I am aching to do. Any takers?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I heard two radio plays a while ago by Barrie about WW1, though I haven't actually read them. One was about a father being visited by the ghost of his son who died in WW1, while his wife tried to contact him through a seance, and the other was about an old man being visited by his grandson and his fiance (I can't remember the second one very well). I'm afraid I don't know either of the titles, but they were both very moving.

Apart from that, I've always been a big fan of Peter Pan and also of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, which in some ways I prefer. It makes Kensington Gardens a magical place to me anyway! I loved Finding Neverland, too, even though it's not historically accurate.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I'm one of those who knows nothing about J.M. Barrie other than he was Peter Pan's author. However your recommendation encourages me to look further. I've only seen the animated or televised stage versions of Peter Pan(loved them!), but will look for the book now. I would not have thought it to be a book that someone would read every year. (I read Pride and Prejudice and the Narnia books every year.)
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Peter Pan is a beautiful book. Very whimsical and sentimental, but mostly entirely serious- which is what gives it it's charm. Do read it!

Sunstar, the first play you described is A Well-Remembered Voice. It is indeed very touching. I can't place the second one, though.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote