Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2002, 11:37 PM   #1
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Costumes

How elaborate will the costumes and props be as compared to the Movie?
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:20 AM   #2
hama

I think they will be equivalent if not a bit more elaborate by necessity. A stage version will lack the advantages of the film's use of CGI and and epic scale of the scenery. Therefore the costmues and props will have to be very elaborate to make up for that. Also, the sets and lighting will have to be very cutting edge using hydraulics and special effects to the utmost. Fortunately, I won't have to grapple with those problems...I just wrote the thing. I think the most difficult scene to bring off will be the Bridge of Kazadum and the battle with and portrayal of the Balrog. One of the scenes I am most excited about seeing on stage is The Paths of the Dead and army of the dead coming to the Stone of Erech.

Film has the advantage of having multiple takes to get a scene right once. Obviously on stage it has to be done right every time, multiple times a week.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:16 AM   #3
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

You need to sell paterns of the clothes you(by you I mean those involved in the production) make. I would buy some.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:17 AM   #4
hama

Ahh merchandising ideas already! I like it. For now I am going to focus on finding a producer and getting the money raised (a musical is very cheap by Hollywood standards).
Old 01-08-2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Big sets, big costumes, long run. The army of the dead, eh? That'll be a challenge. Not smoke or dry ice, too cliche'd but there's a good trick with mirrors, called 'Fuller's ghost' I believe, which could be good, or you could use air jets placed around the auiditorium that when an unseen soldier spoke the jets would go on and off with the speech, that'd creep out the audience!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:24 AM   #6
hama

Quote:
Originally posted by Agburanar
Big sets, big costumes, long run. The army of the dead, eh? That'll be a challenge. Not smoke or dry ice, too cliche'd but there's a good trick with mirrors, called 'Fuller's ghost' I believe, which could be good, or you could use air jets placed around the auiditorium that when an unseen soldier spoke the jets would go on and off with the speech, that'd creep out the audience!
Well big sets and costumes didn't save Sunset Boulevard but then I think The One Ring has more than one good song!
I am not aware of "Fuller's ghosts". Could you explain more fully? I like the air jet idea. Their might be others that could be used that directly effected the audience in other scenes...like the mines of Moria. I do want the army of the dead represented with disembodied glowing eyes and ancient weapons and tattered banners floating in the background. Come on Ag! You can do it!
Old 01-09-2002, 05:11 AM   #7
Agburanar
Elf Lord

For the Fullers ghost idea a group of people acting as the ghosts (with appropriate glowing eye technology and tattered banners) stand eithere above or below the stage and by a series of mirrors and lighting effects their images are reflected onto and appropriate background (dense smoke machine smoke is supposed to be good) giving an almost transparent look. The eyes would still glow because light angled directly at the mirrors would come across clearer (anyone who has tried this technique should correct me if I'm wrong). Shakespearean plays in Shakespeare's time used this technique for their ghost scenes, and if their technology could do it why can't ours?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
hama

That sounds fantastic...literally and figuratively. My thought might be to have the eyes and staffs, banners etc. actually be set peices set in a grid that would be concealed by the smoke that the "ghosts" would be projected on.

Also, what do you think of the idea for the battle scenes if we actually filmed and computer enhanced the background scenes, projected them on a scrim with the live action downstage in the foreground? Would that look too cheezy, or has the technology advanced enough to pull it off?
Old 01-10-2002, 03:20 PM   #9
Agburanar
Elf Lord

It would work. If that can be arranged it would be fantastic, many musicals nowadays do use video footage to liven up and bulk out scenes.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I had a thought (cheers and cries of "at last!").

How about having screens running down the side aisles of the auditorium, then you could have filmed armies crashing into each other on either side of the audience! It'd be good as long as you don't use the sequences from the film!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Old 03-20-2002, 11:31 PM   #11
hama

I think that screens down the sides of the theatre could be used to enhance a lot of scenes. The misty mountains, shelob's lair and even the last battle at the black gate. But once you started using it I think you would have too coninue it throughout the show and not just have them go blank for stretches at a time.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:30 AM   #12
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Unless you projected an image of the side wall of the theatre and had the armies/winged Nazgul/Horses(!!!!!) etc. galloping against that background, then nobody would notice if nothing happened there for a while. You don't want it to draw attention away from the stage.

I don't know if blue-screen technology has advance that far, but the images would be moving at such a speed it may not matter.

Old 03-26-2002, 05:11 AM   #13
hama

I think it is a great idea worthy of exploration. If the movement on the screen led to the stage and led the audiences atttention to focus on the stage it wouldn't then matter if the screens went blank. It would be awseome if some element or elements in live action could enter the stage in syncronization with the projected images to create a seamless transition.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:39 AM   #14
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Definately!

Here's another thought I had for Moria:

What if the 'drums in the deep' were produced through speakers below the audience's seats? With the drumming rolling below them and the battle with the Balrog up high on the Procenium the audience would have to get a feel for the vastness of these mines.

Going back to the screen idea, I presume you've given quite some thought to the ring's destruction scene? How about having larva projected as sliding down beside the audience's seats and filling the stage with smoke, perhaps behind a gauze on which an image of Barad-dur collapsing is projected. You could use on-stage lighting and gobos etc. to create some really good shadows and make it as unclear and chaotic for the audience as it is for readers of the book? You're not quite sure what's really happened and is going to happen until the Hobbits wake up in Ithilien.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:39 PM   #15
hama

I like the speaker under the seats idea...of course we may have a problem with the speakers shorting out as little old ladies in the audience pee themselves...matinees could get rather messy.

Larvae sliding down? You have a sick and twisted mind. I KNEW I liked you. Something along the lines you describe sounds awesome.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:21 AM   #16
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I should state that I said Larva, as in molten rock, not Larvae as in maggots! However that would be suitably chaotic, shudder!

Old 05-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #17
hama

Or perhaps lava?
Old 05-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #18
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Yarr. Oi do be fergettin' wot yoo iz writin' from America! In Ye Olde England we spells it Larva loike!

Old 05-10-2002, 09:31 PM   #19
Darth Tater
The man

Hama, I was reading the script and while I was reading the balrog scene all I could think was "This is awesome, how the hell is it gonna work on the stage?" one thing is if youw ant people happy it's gotta be as big as humanly possible, as in the balrog filling the whole stage. Maybe an animatronic that is filled with air or something so it can shrink down easilly, or what that can fold up? I dunno, but ti's gotta be awesome!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

It could possibly be done with a projector, that way it could be very big, but eliminate the problem of getting something on and off stage. Or it could be done as a shadow puppet (I know that sounds silly, but shadow puppetry can be very elaborate).
Really it could be done with an actor backstage and a light shining behind him onto a large screen; he acts as the Balrog, but the audience sees only the big black shadow shape.

Last edited by azalea : 05-11-2002 at 01:24 PM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote