Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2002, 01:11 AM   #1
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

Second Time Around

Well im starting to goto LOTR for my second time and i was just wondering if anyone had any things i should look for or tips about going over it again?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 05:03 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well... the first thing, of course, is to pick up on all the little clues that foreshadow what happens later, now that you know how everything turns out in the end.

For example, my first time through, I didn't really retain a lot of minor details that turn out to be rather pertinent, like the flashes of light from Ecthelion that indicate Denethor was using a palantir, or the Southfarthing weed in Isengard hinting at Saruman's corruption of the Shire.

I don't know if it's the same for you, but my first time through LOTR, I didn't exactly absorb Tolkien's many poems and songs very well. If you kind of skimmed them too, it would be a good idea to wade in them a bit more carefully.

Paying more attention to minor characters would be the next step, I guess. For me, it wasn't until about my third time through it that I really absorbed all that stuff about Ghan-Buri-Ghan and Imrahil and Elladan and Elrohir and such...

Have you already read the appendices?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 03:44 PM   #3
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I agree with IronParrot. Foreshadowing and poems.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
Maren
Hobbit

Definitely pay attention to the minor charactors, especially at the Council, it makes it infinitely more interesting.

I especially enjoy contrasting the books with the movies, especially the part about Glorfindel. They should have kept him in there, he was by far, the coolest part of the Fellowship.

Maren

Van?!?!?! Red, right?
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 02:32 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I myself have actually not yet read the book from cover to cover since the day I first saw The Fellowship of the Ring (though I re-read some sections for a paper I was doing). I'm about to attempt it again, for the first time in full since seeing the film, and it will be interesting...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 11-10-2002, 02:14 PM   #6
Asfaloth
Sapling

The first time round I barely even looked at any of the poems! I didn't realise how stupid I was being! Since then I've read it many times including the poems and it is far better with them
Asfaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:09 PM   #7
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I find that when I read a book for the first time I generally get caught with the flow of the story. Although I pick up the main concept of what is happening, I miss sometimes vital details that make an event, or the ending more significant.
When going over books I read them much more slowly, and as I know what happenes next I can pay more attention to the details before and after the event and not be impatient.
But, as LOTR is such a long story it sometimes takes a 3rd or 4th going over before all of the semi-major details are acknowledged.
Well that is how it was for me anyway. I have read that book so many times and still I bet that there are details that I have missed.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:15 PM   #8
entss89
lord of the ents

on my 2nd time around i just skipped the poems because they are too longggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:20 PM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've just been reading LOTR again lately, and... yeah. I catch more and more every single time. The cycle never ends.

entss89, eventually you should get yourself familiar enough with the flow of the book that you can actually read through the poems in detail, because they are one of the highlights of Tolkien's mastery of the language...