Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth > UT Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Snowdog, I think so, too.

Mardil was the first Ruling Steward. His grandfather Pelendur supported the claim of Eärnil II to the throne of Gondor over that of Arvedui of Fornost on behalf of his wife F*riel, only surviving child of the previous king, Ondohir. When Eärnil became King of Gondor, he made Pelendur’s office hereditary: it seems it had not been so before. Only the King had the authority to make such an important and powerful post as that of Steward hereditary. The coincidence is rather suggestive of some sort of political deal. Perhaps this was Eärnil’s way of signifying his gratitude to Pelendur and trust in his judgment. But it sure smells funny, doesn’t it?

I think that deal is the subplot or backstory behind Faramir’s kneeling before Aragorn before the broken Gates of Minas Tirith and the assembled army and folk of Gondor as the proclamation of Aragorn Elessar as King of Gondor begins: “The last Steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office.” Aragorn takes the rod, removing authority from Faramir as Steward to the House of Anárion, then gives it back saying: “That office is not ended, and it shall be thine and thy heirs’ as long as my line shall last. Do now thy office!” making him Steward of the House of Isildur, which with the extinction of the House of Anárion is identical to the House of Elendil, as Aragorn had described himself to Boromir in Rivendell. Faramir accepts and acts as steward in Aragorn’s name; in Rivendell, had Boromir balked!

This scene and its antecedents really deserve their own thread.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Snowdog, I think so, too.

Mardil was the first Ruling Steward. His grandfather Pelendur supported the claim of Eärnil II to the throne of Gondor over that of Arvedui of Fornost on behalf of his wife F*riel, only surviving child of the previous king, Ondohir. When Eärnil became King of Gondor, he made Pelendur’s office hereditary: it seems it had not been so before. Only the King had the authority to make such an important and powerful post as that of Steward hereditary. The coincidence is rather suggestive of some sort of political deal. Perhaps this was Eärnil’s way of signifying his gratitude to Pelendur and trust in his judgment. But it sure smells funny, doesn’t it?

I think that deal is the subplot or backstory behind Faramir’s kneeling before Aragorn before the broken Gates of Minas Tirith and the assembled army and folk of Gondor as the proclamation of Aragorn Elessar as King of Gondor begins: “The last Steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office.” Aragorn takes the rod, removing authority from Faramir as Steward to the House of Anárion, then gives it back saying: “That office is not ended, and it shall be thine and thy heirs’ as long as my line shall last. Do now thy office!” making him Steward of the House of Isildur, which with the extinction of the House of Anárion is identical to the House of Elendil, as Aragorn had described himself to Boromir in Rivendell. Faramir accepts and acts as steward in Aragorn’s name; in Rivendell, had Boromir balked!

This scene and its antecedents really deserve their own thread.
It does indeed! Dare I say... its own TV mini-series???