Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #1
elixir
Elven Warrior

Does a thread of the same topic already exists?

I have an idea, but I might be a bad idea of course

Anyway, I was just thinking that sometimes when you want to start a new thread I might be quite difficult to find out if a thread of the same topic already exists. Maybe some people are just too lazy to look around and see, but sometimes it's difficult even if you search carefully - the thread might have a name that in some ways doesn't suit the topic or something is discussed on the pages 134-137 of some thread for example - try to find it then...

But my idea was just that what about having a thread where members can come and ask others if a thread of some topic already exists (and where is it?)

Maybe then moderators won't have to close so many threads and their lives would be easier?

Anyway, if it's not a good idea or if a thread of THIS topic already exists then please close or, even better, delete this one.

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Re: Does a thread of the same topic already exists?

Quote:
Originally posted by elixir
I have an idea, but I might be a bad idea of course

Anyway, I was just thinking that sometimes when you want to start a new thread I might be quite difficult to find out if a thread of the same topic already exists. Maybe some people are just too lazy to look around and see, but sometimes it's difficult even if you search carefully - the thread might have a name that in some ways doesn't suit the topic or something is discussed on the pages 134-137 of some thread for example - try to find it then...

But my idea was just that what about having a thread where members can come and ask others if a thread of some topic already exists (and where is it?)

Maybe then moderators won't have to close so many threads and their lives would be easier?

Anyway, if it's not a good idea or if a thread of THIS topic already exists then please close or, even better, delete this one.
I think the search doesn't only focus on the topic. It searches for words in the thread too (I think...).

I don't know about the idea, but I didn't see a topic like this one.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well, there's a Tolkien song thread in LotR books, A non-Tolkien song thread in GM, A thread discussing how hot Catherine Zeta-Jones is, several religious threads, several Canada-America threads, and a " Harry Potter is a Gay icon" thread in...where else...the HP forum.
Don't forget the anything thread, entmoot mud wrestling and "Entmoot wouldn't be the same if..."
Old 08-03-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

that idea doesn't work.

there is a very good search feature that is pretty accurate (top right, oval shaped green button).

(sorry, dunno what came over me changed around my wording. had a tiring day)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 11:46 PM   #5
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

HOBBIT,

That must have hurt. You should be nice to people, you might turn them off. No one wants that...

MEANING TURNED OFF OF THE MOOT GS!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:28 AM   #6
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Sometimes the search feature fails either because of the word limit (has to be more than 3 letters) or because the thread is on the 101th page. However, in those cases, there's always the wonderfully helpful regulars to complain about the duplication of threads by silly newbies.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Sometimes the search feature fails either because of the word limit (has to be more than 3 letters) or because the thread is on the 101th page. However, in those cases, there's always the wonderfully helpful regulars to complain about the duplication of threads by silly newbies.
newbies? i still get this. its very annoying. because of course after youve scoured through 10 pages and havent found it its always on the 11th and someone comes running in to call you on it and tell you to not be lazy and search next time. the search feature has no real dynamic search power to it. can you use quotes? i cant seem to get the quotes feature to work. also how do you search for posts by a single user? meaning if im IN a long thread and i want to find all the posts made by one user how would i do that? and why does it only bring up a huge list of threads when you are looking for a specific word or phrase? isnt there a way for it to pull up those words or phrases right from a search? it really does you no good if you search for "education" and you get 39 pages of threads and the word eduction occurs once on page 87 of the first thread. and once on page 27 of the second thread... etc. etc. Are we realy meant to hunt through all those? are the threads broken down by frequency of that word? What we really need is a FIND feature that you can use within each thread.

ok shutting up now....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #8
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Well, it's a crappy search engine, what can I say?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well hey i guess you get what you pay for right? so who are we to complain. maybe we outa steal googles search engine code and apply it here.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Well, it's a crappy search engine, what can I say?
Well, i wouldn't say that. I use it frequently and I think it's one of the best I've known. Of course much better than the ezboard search engine.

For example. If I want to find a thread that discussed similar things to this one, I'd put the keys "redundant topic". If I remember having participated in such a thread I'd put my user name in the other field. Or if I am interested in what did some particular member said about it i could put "BeardofPants". I can do the search by posts (if I'm only interested in BoP's posts) or by threads, finding thisold thread (BTW, I think this is one of the latest threeads started by DT *sniff*)

It's not the same topic as this one, but it's related, and we have already repeated some of its ideas , but since it's rather old we cannot speak properly of redundancy.

Elixir: I think yours is a good contribution, but as HOBBIT said, the search engine should be enough.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #11
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
finding thisold thread
Oh wow, I totally forgot about that one. What a kerfluffle that was.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Does anyone know if there's a Tea thread? The crappy engine doesn't let me search on the three-letter word 'tea'
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes, there is, but I can't find it (due to said three-letter problem).
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

make another jonathan so we can fuss at you and say yer lazy.

Old 08-20-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Haha.

IIRC, Galadriel88 started it... In fact, didn't you fall for the same thing, IP, starting a redundant tea thread cos you couldn't find the other one?

Yep, I found it by searching for "teas".

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...highlight=Teas

Last edited by Sheeana : 08-20-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #16
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thanks for the link BoP! I've tried to found a tea thread for some time but stupid ol' me wasn't smart enough to search for 'teas'
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #17
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Perhaps we should start a new thread about "Useful tips on how to use the serach engine"