Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2003, 12:48 AM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

The Fall Of The Star Wars Saga

A sad truth.

The prequels of the classic Star Wars Trilogy are almost all finished and I realize what has befallen...the fall of the saga...

The classic trilogy was well acted, often well scripted (ESB the most but also in ANH) and generally was more character driven.
Jump twenty years into the future. Prequels are being made to the trilogy so many love and they come out and are sadly dissapointing.

Episode 1: Worth 3 out of 5 stars. Liam Neeson was as brilliant Qui Gon Jinn, as was Pernilla August as Anikan's mother. Although a lot of the movie felt fake in an aweful video game sort of way and there was some lack of real emotion and connection with the characters, it still matained some depth and good acting.

Episode 2: ACK! No Qui Gon, Very little Pernilla August and the rest in the hands of two teeny teen actors, and Christopher Lee who belongs in LOTR more than SW. The acting was poor, the script was BAD, the story lacked real depth, wit or substance and I came out feeling this picture was mostly a FX extravaganza going under the name of the noble Star Wars Family.

WHAT happened? I think a couple of things.

George Lucas was great in the 70's and 80's but then he did not direct a motion picture for 20 years until the new SW films. I believe his graces "decayed" from lack of use and also he fell prey to the temptation of the vast array of special effects he could now do which he wanted to use in the early days. He then put the story on the back burner. Also screenwriting is not really his gift. He is great at creating a story but should get screenwriters to of quality to write out his dream. Star Trek Nemesis is a very good trek film why? Because although it is using the story of Star Trek the script was written by the person who wrote Gladiator-and oscar nominee. Therefore the story was strong as was the script and although not everything was spit polish perfect it still was pretty impressive where impressive counts. Ironically the most recent Trek film had old fx but good story/script while Episode 2 of SW had it the other way around.

What should Lucas do? He should get a new scriptwriter other than himself to do Episode 3 and he can still oversee the story.
Not much can be done about the casting now..but maybe some good actors can be put in supporting roles to give the acting more heft.

What do you all think?

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Admiral Ackbar
Hobbit

ack!

Yikes? Are you saying Ep. 1 was better than ep. 2? Well, to each his own As for Star Trek Nemesis... well, it was a mediocre movie, and I think it relied too much on effects as well. Crusher and Troi were relegated to typically background-female-support roles (as they were often in ST: TNG though they got a few good eps) and that sex scene was ridiculous and unessesary. Worf was purely comedic. One critic said something to the effect that 'if this was the generation's last journey, they went out with a whimper in the dark'. Paramount had some good oppertunity to emphasize a contreversial storyline (eg. federation allowing the abuse of the Remans in exchange for peace and trade etc...) though they just focused on that clicheed clone issue and relegated the Romulans to cavalry.

Anyway, SW may die down in popularity decades from now, though it will always remain a classic (the original trilogy, anyway). Just think of it as Tolkien before the movies came out: there will be hardcore and semi-casual fans who enjoy the series, but the toy line will be all but nonexistent. The novels may eventually dry up too (which may be for the better ) Star Wars will probably slide into memmory, but it will never be forgotten.

Ackbar
Old 01-25-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Tour
Sapling

I'll say this: episode 1 was much worse than episode 2, jar jar binks ruined it all beyond hope of recovery, and george lucas was never any good, cause I'm a big fan, but there are only three things that ever made star wars watchable - the force, the idea of space travel (more races etc.), and good special effects (i mean, the acting is horrible in all the movies, and jake llyod - ahhhhh!)
Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:26 PM   #4
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

I dare to dissagree. I would rather see an unknown Jedi Master (Qui Gon) and Jar Jar the Balrog rather than the woeful acting and story of episode 2. I'm not saying Episode 1 was PERFECT. I think that in some elements it conquered.

Old 01-27-2003, 05:34 AM   #5
elendili
Elven Warrior

WHAT??? you preferrred ep1 to ep2 are you insane with little wooden anakin? and Jar-Jar do i need to say any more?

i do admit that they cast umm the wrong girl as padme and anakin needed a little polishing but it wasn't bad overall

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:36 PM   #6
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

elendilli I did not even mention Anikan. Not the young one anyway.
But what EP2 was not lacking? I think these movies should have been a LOT better but episode 2 is showing that the trilogy is on a downward spiral. The classic trilogy was not just good because it was NEW back then..it indeed DID have better and funnier scripts (at least in ANH and ESB), Leia is much more interesting a character than her mother, and while Anikan is comes accross as silly and rather jarring Han Solo had me laughing my socks of with his witty remarks. My point is the originals had more content. The prequels are the lesser brood that are only popular because of the SW surname. I'm sorry to say this really I am but sad to say it's true. Of course all of you have rights to your opinions as I have to mine.

And if you like EP2 ONLY because it has LESS Jar Jar...I'm not convinced LOL.

I felt the supposed to be "emotional" scenes of EP2 were frail, cheesy and even laughable! I'll make you a little chart and compare classic and prequel moments:

Love Story of Han Leia-ANH-ESB-ROTK:
Intelligent,witty,and truly interesting. They were both spirited people but eventually melted and fell in love.

Love Story Anikan/Padme-Attack of the Clones
This could have been handled BEAUTIFULLY. Padme a young wise and good hearted senator falls in love with the tempestous jedi and brings out the better side of him. Their children later in the classic trilogy once again bring out the good in him and he turn to the light side before death. Sad but well done.
Lucas's Take: Padme and Anikan are silly teens (probably a joint acting/scripting issue) who come accross like American highschoolers.

Luke Skywalker on Tatooine Losing Loved Ones: ANH
He was well cast. At least I think so. He goes to find that his aunt and uncle are dead. The smoke rises and a beautiful horn note fills the screen from John Williams classic score. He is too late.

Anikan Skywalker on Tatooine Losing his Family: Attack of the Bad Script (Oops! I mean Clones!)

Ani goes to rescue his mother in a scene that is rushed and for such a key scene a little fake. (Lucas has lost the poetic touch that graced the classic trilogy). Then! Oh the script! They show Shmi's funeral and Shmi's husband says "You were the greatest partner a man could ask for". ACK! That sound fake, unloving and downright stupid! Now I am aware that this is not trying to be an artsy oscar film or looking for a screenplay oscar nod but even for this genre it was sad! You say Star Wars isn't that way but it was! ESB was the FUNNIEST script and is even acclaimed by many as the best of the trilogy. However Lucas new script is fair at best. I THINK for the original trilogy he had screenwriter actually write out his ideas while he would oversee the story. Now he is trying to do it ALL himself and it is too much. He should get a good screenwriter like he did long ago and just oversee the story.

That's just my thoughts.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:20 AM   #7
elendili
Elven Warrior

I do agree that the scripts were *ahem* a little hammy, cheesy, bab, terrible, painful to watch in ep.1 and 2 but i think u were supposed to concentrate on the sfx rather than the bad script.

my fav. is rotj what's yours p.Skywalker??

i think Lucas should have got Spielburg to wrtie the script - look at Taken the story is shaky at best but at least its well written.

they also ruined yoda the little puppet was much cuter

Andrew Marvell
Old 01-28-2003, 10:55 AM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
I do agree that the scripts were *ahem* a little hammy, cheesy, bab, terrible, painful to watch in ep.1 and 2 but i think u were supposed to concentrate on the sfx rather than the bad script.
Do you realize that only an idiot would concentrate on the special effects over the script? Wait, that's the market that lucas and Jackson are pandering to.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Now, now, not a very Christian attitude...Of course, the script is more important, but that doesn't you need to be rude.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:39 PM   #10
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

elendilli- I think scripts should STILL be well written even if the movie DOES have a lot of FX. The classic trilogy would be remembered far less without lines like "Luke, I am your father". That was in the script.

My favorite Star Wars Film is a New Hope. It was fresh,fun and exciting. Plus who could pass up Alec Guiness as Obi Wan? I do admire ESB for it's great script and also I like various moments from ROTJ. My complaint with the last film is that repeat of the deathstar idea. I know many people agree with me on that. But it was still a fun movie.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That was polite for me, jewelrybird
Old 01-29-2003, 07:57 AM   #12
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Do you realize that only an idiot would concentrate on the special effects over the script? Wait, that's the market that lucas and Jackson are pandering to.
no need to insult i didn't say the FX are more important than the script only retards would think that i just some people might think that and i do think that the scripts from the prequels were no way near those of the original trilogy, maybe Lucas' skills are a little rusty the past scripts literally had no humour whatsoever unless you class the bits that weren't actually supposed to be funny

Quote:
That was polite for me, jewelrybird
huh????

Andrew Marvell
Old 01-29-2003, 10:59 AM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

You know, you just said No need to insult, and then you went ahead and insulted. Doesn't make sense.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:55 AM   #14
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

No Insults!

Who wants a choclate Yoda?

Old 01-30-2003, 01:08 AM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
no need to insult...only retards would think that
elendili That's funny

I want a chocolate yoda!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:40 PM   #16
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I do agree it is just full of special efects by the way can i have chocolate Yoda oh and look at this site pipin www.starwars.com

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:50 AM   #17
elendili
Elven Warrior

umm chocolate yoda

Quote:
You know, you just said No need to insult, and then you went ahead and insulted. Doesn't make sense.
I often make no sense esp. when making sarcastic comments

Pippin if i do another insult will we get candy lightsabers as well???

Andrew Marvell
Old 02-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #18
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

*gollum voice* no candy lightsaber for nassty elendilliii....on the other hand...they would be yummy preciousss!

Old 02-02-2003, 09:48 PM   #19
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

ep1 was 10 times better than ep 2!!!! Old Anakin was sooo fake!! He looks sooo funny in that seen right after he killed all the sandpeople when he is talking to Padme and crying! LOL!! And Padme! Aack! The only good thing about ep 2 were the clones, the clone-making aliens, and yoda's acrobats!

I want a chocolate yoda too!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:46 AM   #20
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
*gollum voice* no candy lightsaber for nassty elendilliii....on the other hand...they would be yummy preciousss!
you stolesss it from usss, tricksy little thief, we wantsss the candy lightsaberss, we needss them, stupid little hobbit-jedi, we could takess him to her couln't we precioussss

*ahem*

Quote:
ep1 was 10 times better than ep 2!!!! Old Anakin was sooo fake!! He looks sooo funny in that seen right after he killed all the sandpeople when he is talking to Padme and crying! LOL!! And Padme! Aack! The only good thing about ep 2 were the clones, the clone-making aliens, and yoda's acrobats!
I do agree Padme aack but i thought blond little anakin was way more wooden sadly ep.2 was rather baddie-less. Quite frankly Darth Maul would kick Dooku's ass

Andrew Marvell