Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2002, 04:34 PM   #41
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Any progress/new thoughts on Lewis works, anyone?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:38 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I finished "Till We Have Faces", and I don't know what to say. Working on "Out of Silent Planet". I'm also reading a book called "Illusions: The Tale of a Reluctant Messiah", which a composer is basing a song on (that our school commisioned! How cool is that!)
Old 10-21-2002, 06:55 PM   #43
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I finished "Till We Have Faces", and I don't know what to say.
yeah, I read it for the first time 15 years ago, and thought it was totally useless for anything but an interesting (but strange) story. Then I picked it up again in a bored moment, and... well, try re-reading what Crickhollow and I wrote a few posts back about it. Or try again in 15 years! And I'm glad you got Silent Planet to read before Perelandra. Please let us know what you think about that one, I'd love to hear

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #44
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I'm reading Allegory of Love for my paper on Medieval Literature. It's tons harder (less conversational, more academic), but still interesting. Anything Lewis, right?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:57 AM   #45
Rían

*searches thru Lewis archives* Drat, can't find it! (Allegory of Love) I wonder if I loaned it out, or just never bought it? Also, I seem to be missing "the four loves" or whatever that book is called... I need to start a lending-list sheet or something. Yes, "anything Lewis" is just fine with me! I'd like to discuss some of his letters when I get some extra time, they're fascinating. Have you guys read them?

Starr, if you would, could you please elaborate on "don't know what to say"? I'm curious if your reaction was like my first one, which also included "has Lewis gone wacko?" But as you can see if you read our earlier posts, crickhollow and I both think it has some really profound thoughts in it.

Have you reached Malacandra yet, or are they still on earth?

Old 10-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #46
crickhollow

How about the great divorce, Rian or SP? there's a load of stuff to digest in that one!

You know, I think you can surface read lewis and enjoy the basic story, but when you go back over it, and mull over each assertion, metaphor, and plot twist, you get so much more out of it. He's not like Dostoyevski or someone that should come with a warning label for inexperienced readers, but going slowly and thoughtfully yields so much!
Old 10-23-2002, 06:51 AM   #47
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Quote:
Any progress/new thoughts on Lewis works, anyone?
I just started reading Till We Have Faces.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:51 PM   #48
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I've been far too busy to read much lately, hopefully that will change soon. I left "Out of Silent Planet" in the TAG room today...poo. No, they're still on the space ship. I'm going to have to read that part over again to understand what Weston is saying..oi.

Hmm...well, I really don't know what to say about TWHF. it didn't seem to have any great significance to me as a book, other than being a great retelling of a myth. I'm not very good at picking up on things the first read through (I can't believe all the stuff I missed in LOTR!). I found it very sad, but horrifying at the same time.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:15 AM   #49
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I've started reading a collection of Lewis' literary essays. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near as well-read as he is, so I don't understand most of it , but at least I'm learning something.

I'm also re-reading a triple biography of him, Tolkien and Charles Williams. Very interesting.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:20 AM   #50
Rían

Oh, I've always wanted to know more about Charles Williams - I know Tolkien wasn't exactly wild about him, and in Tolkien's opinion, Lewis was too influenced by him. I know nothing about CW. Could you fill me in a bit as you read? I'd appreciate it!

And for all - what do you think of The Great Divorce? For me, it was the first thing that gave a reasonable answer to the dilemma "how can anyone in Heaven be happy if there is even one soul in Hell?"

Old 10-27-2002, 10:10 PM   #51
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

For all my fellow Lewis fans:

Just found out there's a movie out there based on his life, starring Anthony Hopkins. It's called Shadowland, I think.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:20 PM   #52
Rían

OMGOODNESS, Starr (and others) you simply MUST see that movie! It is wonderful!!! (and better than the Christian version, I've heard). There's one part in there - (we saw it in a theater the first time) - I have NEVER heard an audience so quiet!! Wonderful, and really funny, too! Anyone else seen it?

Old 10-28-2002, 01:29 PM   #53
crickhollow

I thought Anthony Hopkins made a good CS Lewis, even though he doesn't look a thing like him.

It's a great movie.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #54
Rían

Starr, please let me know after you've seen it - I was going to put a couple of comments about it here, but I think I'd rather wait until you've seen it.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:12 PM   #55
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I'll have to find it first. I have no idea if local videostores carry it.

Go ahead and post, use the spoiler thingy.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #56
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Oh, I've always wanted to know more about Charles Williams - I know Tolkien wasn't exactly wild about him, and in Tolkien's opinion, Lewis was too influenced by him. I know nothing about CW. Could you fill me in a bit as you read? I'd appreciate it!
I'll have a go . Well, Charles Williams was born in 1886 and, unlike Tolkien and Lewis, was educated at a grammar school and didn't complete university for financial reasons. He taught evening classes and worked for the Oxford University Press (based in London), and wrote some novels. While proof-reading Lewis' Allegory of Love for publication, and admiring it, he received a letter from Lewis praising his book 'The Place of the Lion'. They corresponded, and when the OUP moved to Oxford at the beginning of WW2 Williams began to attend Inklings meetings. He remained in Oxford for the rest of his life and died in 1945.

I haven't read any of his books, but apparently he was very interested in magic and the supernatural (this seems to be what Tolkien disapproved of) and was an expert on Dante's idea of love. I believe most of his books are out of print. Hope that helps
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 06:56 PM   #57
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Update! I'm on about chapter 12 of "Out of Silent Planet", when he's been with the hrossa for awhile. Hmm...interesting, Thulcandra. Also, I don't think the séroni are as bad as Devine and Weston thought they were.

What was that thing in the water that got Devine?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #58
Rían

Ooohhhh, interesting parts ahead .... chpt 13 and the first part of 14 are some of my favorite parts - keep us posted!

Old 11-01-2002, 06:39 PM   #59
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Ah, a hnakra, of course.

I'm now on Perelandra. I didn't realize until the end of "Out of Silent Planet that the planet was, well...
Mars
Old 11-01-2002, 08:43 PM   #60
Rían

Well, didja like it? Huh? Huh? Funny how the Hrossa prefaced everything with 'h', wasn't it? Just one of those funny little details that make the world more real, like Tolkien threw in all the time. And the part I really liked, and I think is applicable to Christians, is how Ransom kept on with his resolution to go to Oyarsa, because he knew it was right, even when he got scared.

Perelandra is much more serious - keep us posted! It's fun to "go thru them again for the first time" with you! It gets rather heavy in the end.... and then really glorious.