Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Joy Davidman, CS Lewis’ wife

I found this article on Joy Davidman, CS Lewis’ wife. It is written by her biographer, Abigail Santamaria, who is published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, the same publisher who handles Tolkien’s work in the US.

I did not know she was a poet. All I knew about her was that Tolkien disapproved of their marriage, and that it seemingly deepened the divide between Lewis and Tolkien.

Davidman died before Lewis, who wrote A Grief Observed in meditation upon mourning her. (Lewis subsequently died the same day as John Kennedy.) Her son, Douglas Gresham, is still very much alive.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Very interesting. I have been interested in Joy Davidman since I saw "Shadowlands," then read A Grief Observed.

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I have heard before of her conversion story. Odd, indeed, that the bombs had such an effect. But the Lord moves in mysterious ways.