Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2001, 06:37 PM   #41
Lief Erikson

Re: Chronicles of Narnia

Not a complete oddball. I also am not crazy about them, although I do like them.

The movies that are out now are really good, though. Especially the Silver Chair. There are movies out on 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe' as well, also 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.'

I think they're quite well done, although TVotDT was a bit slower than the other two.

I've never been as into them as the LotR, but they're okay.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:43 PM   #42
Idril Celebrindal

I'm sure there was one of Prince Caspian, too... it wasn't a film, really, it was one of thos BBC dramas, in several parts. When I was really little, this is. Probably about 10 years ago, or slightly under. Anyone remember that? I think they did a whole sreies of them, because there was definitely a VotDT one, although that may be something different.
Old 03-13-2001, 12:56 AM   #43
Lief Erikson

Not I, believee me.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:22 PM   #44
galadriel1

Hey, I`m NOT alone! The books are ok but I just had trouble keeping an interest. A matter of preference I guess. I`ve never seen any of those movies / productions.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:04 PM   #45
Lief Erikson

Too bad. :/
Old 03-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #46
Miralys

I've seen those BBC productions. Not as in watched them but I've seen them for sale. A&E has them for sale in their brochure and I think you can probably get them direct from BBC too.

I do remember the animated film though. I watched it countless times when I was younger. I would very much like to see it again. I thought it was rather well done. Any one else remember the animated version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?
Old 03-14-2001, 12:41 AM   #47
Lief Erikson

You really should see the BBC productions. They're very good, although never having seen the animated version, I can't launch a comparison.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:34 PM   #48
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Bringing this back to the top.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:18 AM   #49
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

VODT is probably my fav...and TMN is really good too. I've alwasy thought it would have been interesting for Lewis to write a story in which he was the main character, going through all sorts of adventure while researching for the Narnia books!

Susan was my fav. character, and I wanted to shoot Lewis with a bazooka when she quite believing in Narnia. How dare he ruin my fav. character? Makes me mad just thinking about it.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:35 PM   #50
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I was a Lucy fan. I think I related with her or something. And Reepicheep (I probably misspelt that), the Talking Mouse, he was hilarious!

My favorite books were Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the Last Battle. The scene at the end, when all of our favorite characters from all the books meet up in HeavenNarnia, that was totally heartwarming and cool.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 11:01 PM   #51
Varda
Elven Warrior

Well I was introduced to The Chronicles of Narnia from the animated version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I really liked Lucy in that. Peter and Susan didn't stand out to me as much, and I thought Edmund was interesting. I was really little at the time.

I saw the BBC ones I think... with Lucy as the chubby brunette girl... There was one for TLWW, PC, TVDT and SC. I liked the one for SC best. I didn't like Lucy in that, though. My roommate saw that one first, and as a result she didn't like Lucy in the books as well either, while I always had the image of the cute blonde girl from the animation.

I think I finally got through all the books sometime in the middle of elementary school. Right now I have loned out TMN to a friend who has not returned it yet. I reread the series minus that one recently, and it just wasn't the same! It is my favorite one, because I like books that come full circle like that.

Also, I don't know if Lewis intended this, but Aslan singing everything into existence is very much like the Navajo tradition, which involves a spider singing the world into existence. Knowing Lewis' Christian views, I wouldn't think it likely that he would borrow from a "pagan" tradition like that.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:07 PM   #52
Varda
Elven Warrior

oh, and in addition, I'm sure I have not caught all of the allegory stuff since I am not very Christian or knowledgeable about such things. Besides Aslan being God/Christ or something like that... and the Last Battle... I don't think I caught very many if there were more.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:17 PM   #53
galadriel
Elven Warrior

There were lots of subtle things that were allegorical, although I can't remember most of them. The only one that sticks out in my mind is the banquet in Dawn Treader where they find the two guys asleep. There's a lot of references that connect the banquet with communion.

dreamflower
Old 10-10-2001, 12:58 AM   #54
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The Horse And His Boy is essentially a good chunk of Exodus.

Shasta = Moses

And the rest is easy to figure out.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-10-2001, 07:43 PM   #55
galadriel
Elven Warrior

duh.

How did I not get the Shasta-Moses connection before?

dreamflower
Old 09-27-2002, 08:00 PM   #56
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

[Bringing this thread back to the top... seems to be an influx of Narnia fans about.]

Old 10-01-2002, 10:19 AM   #57
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
I Love Chronicles of Narnia they are sssooo awesome
My favorite books are... hmmm... thats hard... The magicians(spl) Nephew and Prince Caspian and The Voyage(spl) of the Dawn trader might be my favorites... And favorite Person(s)... Peter and Prince Caspian and Mr. and Mrs. Beaver
I LLLUUUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVV These books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:36 AM   #58
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I love Chronicles of Narnia.

It's also cool how Tolkien helped convince Lewis about Christianity and how they were such good friends.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:39 PM   #59
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I love how his idea was to take the Christian message out of its sterilized "Christian" surroundings, and put it across in a way that would be real to people
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:10 PM   #60
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumandar
And favorite Person(s)... Peter and Prince Caspian and Mr. and Mrs. Beaver
It's funny, my favorite was always Edmund.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote