Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2000, 06:28 AM   #1
Loopy

Chronicles of Narnia

I reread the whole series recently, and loved it.
(I hadn't read it since grade school).

Edmund and Lucy are still my favorite characters.
Old 04-10-2000, 09:16 AM   #2
emilsson

Re: Chronicles of Narnia

I liked these books when I was a kid. The Lion, The with and the wardrobe is my favorite book.

Favorite character? That´s got to be Peter.
Old 04-10-2000, 01:41 PM   #3
M L Crewe

The Narnia books were the best! I can't remember them well enough to know who my favourite character was... but my fav. books were The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe and The Magician's Nephew.

mlc
Old 04-10-2000, 02:57 PM   #4
anduin

If I may interrupt......

M L Crewe....in case you were wondering, I moved your "fav. fantasy movies" thread to the movie forum. "General Fantasy" is only for books only. Sorry for the inconvience.
Old 04-10-2000, 08:38 PM   #5
Gwaihir

The Narnia tales have always been the best work C.S. Lewis every did, at the exception of "The Screwtape Letters". When I was 10, our drama group at Church *tried* to form a play out of "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe", but, alas, it was horrible. (;

We still have the video tape of it, and all I do is laugh when I watch it over again. I had the uncomfortable part of "Mr. Beaver", so I had the whole get up: Beaver ears, tail, blue overalls, and slippers that were supposed to resemble Beaver feet.

David
Old 04-11-2000, 01:35 AM   #6
IronParrot

I haven't read any of these since I was very little... I lost interest midway through - partially because of my short attention span, but partially because I didn't take these up in order. I never got through the whole thing... can somebody please provide me with the order, and perhaps a little encouragement to get back into these?
Old 04-11-2000, 02:03 AM   #7
bmilder

I read these books a long time ago, in second grade or so.

I must've liked it, since I know I read the whole series, and reading Narnia probably helped me appreciate The Hobbit and LotR when I got to them a few years later.
Old 04-11-2000, 10:13 PM   #8
Elanor

I love the Chronicles of Narnia, and have read them all many times, once to my little sister. My favorite book is The Horse and his Boy, and my favorite characters are Eustace, Lucy, and Shasta. My family has been trying to collect the BBC/Wonderworks videos, but I don't think they ever got past The Silver Chair... They don't seem to have had much of a budget, but the movies they've done are great. I greatly admire C.S. Lewis too, and I love both the fantasy/adventure and the allegory aspects of the books. (This is another thing that my whole family loves and assigns roles for--I ended up as the White Witch in this one.)

The original order:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Some other publishing company recently put TMN first and THaHB third, but just ignore that and read them in the order Lewis intended!
Old 04-12-2000, 12:28 AM   #9
bmilder

Yeah, that would be like reading The Silmarillion before Hobbit or LotR
Old 04-12-2000, 02:20 AM   #10
Gwaihir

Not exactly, Bmilder, since they're about 500 pages shorter, and were meant for children under the age of 12. You can really read them in any order, but the best would probably be the form they were originally published in:

"The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe"

"Prince Caspian"

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"

"The Silver Chair"

"The Horse and his Boy"

"The Magician's Nephew"

"The Last Battle"

I have first editions of TLB, TMN, and PC, which have become extremely difficult to find in acceptable condition.

David
Old 04-14-2000, 12:44 AM   #11
Darth Tater

I think the books are good when read out loud, but quite frankly I didn't like them when I tried to read them on my own.
Old 04-14-2000, 02:38 AM   #12
Elanor

What are your favorite scenes from these books? I love the chapter in Magician's Nephew when Aslan sings everything to life (kind of like the Ainulindale but much more exciting!), the description of Eustace's transformation and the light/sweetness of the Utter East in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Shasta's walk across the pass between Archenland and Narnia in Horse and His Boy, the end of the Last Battle, and the meeting between the living and the legends in Prince Caspian. They are beautiful, imaginative, meaningful, and amazingly written.
Old 05-16-2000, 05:55 AM   #13
IronMongery

narnia

I love those books! i like the last one the best with the stuipd ape and the donkey.

my fav caracter has gotta be edmund. he's an ass. he's cool.
Old 05-21-2000, 01:36 AM   #14
Brewhaha

Narnia... a memory

I remeber when my gr.3 teacher used to read "the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" to us. I like the ice queen, she is really cool (no pun intended)
Old 05-23-2000, 08:11 PM   #15
etherealunicorn

Re: Narnia... a memory

Sadly enough, I have never read the Narnia books. However, supposedly I have them on backorder, if they ever get here. I am looking forward to reading them.
Old 05-29-2000, 10:38 AM   #16
andustar

Re: Narnia... a memory

i love them

but i was so dissapointed to find that they were an allegory!
Old 06-06-2000, 06:36 PM   #17
etherealunicorn

Narnia

Yay! My books finally came in last week and I have now read all of them but the last book(left to go out of town before I finished them all). So far, my favorite character, I believe, is Edmund. Not really sure why but I like him.
Old 06-07-2000, 06:37 AM   #18
arynetrek

Re: Narnia

love Narnia, reread the series about every two years - i've got a friend who's obsessive about it & we always end up reading the same book at the same time...

as for favorites, my favorite character is either Edmund - he had that great line in DT to Eustace "you were only an ass, but i - i was a traitor"; Aravis, because she just kicks ass; Puddleglum, for no apparent reason; or the Hermit of the Southern March or Ramandu, because i have an obscure-character thing. Lucy always felt too innocent & believing to me. Peter became a king because it was his destiny, (that sounded cheezy), Edmund out of love/respect to Aslan who saved him, & Susan because she fit the stereotype of a princess too well - but then i didn't really like her anyway.

Favoite scenes - when the kid-kings come back to Narnia at the beginning of PC or the island of despair in DT. Or maybe the last 2 chapters of Silverchair where Caspian came to everyone else's world.

here's some pointless trivia - and remember that i'm an obscure-character freak...

I'm a 15-year-old (approx.) girl, married to a warrior. I love nothing better than parties, clothing, & other frippery. And in my own mind, i am one of the "palace people." Who am i? (hint: she's not a Narnian)

enjoy...

aryne *
Old 07-24-2000, 01:12 AM   #19
Gwaihir

Re: Narnia

BIG DUH!!!!!

It would have to be Lasaraleen from "The Horse and his Boy". She's my favorite female character in that book. For being a cooped up old bachelor, C.S. Lewis sure did know how to write realistic females.
Old 07-25-2000, 09:45 PM   #20
Dfsg

Re:

Gosh I love the chronicles of Narnia! My favorite book would have to be the Dawn Treader, and my favorite Character would have to be REEPACHEEP!!! I LOVE THAT LITTLE MOUSE-CAPTIAN! Puddle-gum was cool too.

Favoite scenes- Hmmm.. Haven't read the books in a while, but I must say that When Peter, Edmund, Lucy, and Susan came back to Cair Paravel in "Prince Caspian"

And I also agree that the books are much better in the original way than the way that book companies tried to change it to. I spent a lot of time after school aranging the cronicales to the way that they should be.