Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yes - I'm getting excited. My two older boys (now 12 & 10) have both read the whole series - so the three of us will probably go together. Maybe opening weekend, but likely the Sunday, not the Friday. 12-year-old has a big event to prepare for on Saturday.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Lucky you - I have to wait for another two weeks after that.
It doesn't come to Norway until 26th December

So I'm watching spoiler clips instead

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #23
Pitchike12
Enting

Gandalf

Yes, I heard that theres a NEW movie in 3D...
Pitchike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #24
Valandil

Has anyone seen it? Reviews? But please keep it very general, at least at first. For example:

* Thumbs-up OR thumbs-down?

* Sticks to Book OR Varies from Book? (don't say how)

Thanks.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't plan to go see it in the cinema, but credit where credit's due, the Dawn Treader looks mightily cool. Dragon figure head, wheee!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
Midge
Faithful Gardener

That's right, it's coming out TODAY! Oh, my goodness! WOO HOO!!!!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #27
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Has anyone seen it? Reviews? But please keep it very general, at least at first. For example:

Thanks.
Not having seen it, but read other reviews and watched every spoiler YouTube clip I could lay my hands on (mostly official ones, I think):

UP!!!

Both - in important ways ...

I'll give a new review next month when I've seen it myself.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #28
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Seeing it Sunday...will make sure to give a review!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #29
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Loved the movie! Better than the other two. Eustace was awesome
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #30
Valandil

Saw it last night. Some changes from the book - yes, but you know - I actually LIKED all the changes and thought they made it a better movie. The characters and the themes were unchanged - and the important things were all there.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #31
Obi-Sam Kenobi
Sapling

I saw the movie twice thats how much I liked it. they did an awesome job the music is great to
Obi-Sam Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #32
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Haven'tseen it, but, sadly, hasn't done great box office:

Quote:
Still, the series' fanbase (including Christian viewers who appreciate C.S. Lewis' spiritual allegories) and the 3-D surcharge were expected to boost 'Dawn Treader' to a debut between $38 and $45 million.

That it opened with just over half of its projected sales has to be considered a major disappointment both for the franchise and for Fox, which picked up the 'Narnia' banner after Disney dropped it. 'Wardrobe' worked its magic toward a $291.7 domestic total, while 'Caspian' topped out at $141.6 million. 'Dawn Treader' will have trouble cracking $100 million domestically, which will continue Fox's year-long losing streak; the studio hasn't had a film crack the $100 million mark since 2009's 'Avatar.'
http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/12...ecember-10-12/

Will there be a "Silver Chair"? No Jill Poole?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
Varnafindë

Fortunately, though, the budget for VDT was that much lower than for PC that they may not earn that much less on it.
So perhaps after all ... although it doesn't look all that hopeful.

Let's hope that all those who meant to see it, but couldn't because of the terrible weather over the opening weekend, will go later. But they shouldn't leave it for very long ...

Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

anyone else seen it? I'm still waiting for a good opportunity ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #35
Varnafindë

I'll see it tomorrow!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #36
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Good! Please report in

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #37
Varnafindë

Some box office facts before seeing it:

The film has now grossed $86.9m domestically. Its worldwide total is up to $297.1m.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #38
Varnafindë

I hope double-posting is ok since the posts are so different and there is a day between them.

I really enjoyed the movie - and I'm going to watch it again. At least once, probably more. I hope to pick up even more detail on second (etc.) viewing.

It could seem a bit rushed at times. There could have been more time for character bonding, especially since there were some close and tender moments between characters without the story really having shown how they got so close.
And some concepts might have been explained better if there had been more time.
I really hope there will be an extended edition on DVD eventually!

The part where Edmund was most obnoxious, was when he was under a spell - but I still didn't think he was too bad.

I felt that Ben Barnes acted even better here than he did in Prince Caspian. He was more at ease, he was a King and didn't need to fight for his authority, and the authority suited him

And they had the perfect Eustace. Do make The Silver Chair - I want to see more of his acting!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #39
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I hope double-posting is ok since the posts are so different and there is a day between them...
Oh, don't worry - I used to sometimes have 3 posts in a row with only minutes between them. I just would keep thinking of things, and then found that if I edited in the new thoughts in a fast-moving thread that people would miss the post and then it would just be a big mess saying to go back to the previous post, etc. etc.

I still haven't seen it - perhaps this weekend

Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #40
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Saw it! SPOILERS follow in my review! I'll give it a generous 2 out of 5 points (I'm in school - that's what you get: points).

One of my least favorite things about the movie is that it made the entire Eastern Ocean seem so small. The only clue they gave to exactly how long the Dawn Treader was at sea was when Drinian mentioned they only had two weeks worth of supplies left during the storm. Everything else seemed like less than a day between islands. For heavens' sake, Eustace SWAM from Ramandu's island to where the dark island had dissipated. They had this same problem in LWW, from what I remember.

One of the more controversial pre-movie things was the appearance of the "Mysterious Little Girl" or "MLG". If they wanted to add a stowaway to the film, that's their affair. But they really didn't develop her character at all. If they were going to do it, I wish they'd gone all the way.

I've learned a lot about cinematics lately and I understand some things, like combining the Deathwater island and the Dragon island. However, I despised the whole green fog thing and making "Dark Island". In the book, it was the island where things you've dreamt come true; in the movie it's the evil island
of mist that tempts you until the seven swords of Aslan are reunited and then if you're lucky enough to have the High King Peter's sword, you can defeat the ultimate manifestation of evil green mist: the sea serpent.
Does anyone understand my frustration with this?

Also Dragon-Eustace should have been green. I don't know if it says he was gold in the book, but I've always imagined that he would make an excellent green dragon. The fact that it wasn't a problem for him to fly around with the ship also made the Eastern Ocean seem small - especially since they made such a big deal out of it in the book. I can't think of a specific problem with how Eustace was undragoned, but the whole thing was just not right. Possibly it was rushed, possibly it was because there was no well, possibly it was because Aslan never touched Eustace... It just doesn't feel right to me.

I was SO disappointed with the slave-trading overthrow. That could have been so much better. They made it simple and quick, and lost so much from the plot. Actually, that's actually the problem with the whole movie. There was so much they had to work with that they tossed out the nuances and kept the generalities. On Coriakin's island, you didn't see the soup flying through the air, or hear about how stupid the Dufflepuds were, and they left out that wonderful scene where Aslan becomes visible and asks Lucy if she thinks he doesn't follow his own rules!

I think my biggest beef with the movie is that beauty spell thing. I was disappointed because instead of making Lucy beautiful beyond the lot of mortals, they only made the spell to turn her into who she thinks is most beautiful. Also instead of jealous vanity that was scared away by a single roar, they made it into this self-esteem thing, a "You're beautiful the way you are" message.

While it may have been a good movie for someone who can disconnect it from the books, it was terrible if you compare it to the original. The characters were named after the ones from the books, but very little about their personalities or characters was like the books, IMO. One of the themes in the movie was the whole "Find all you need in yourself" thing, along with the "You're beautiful the way you are." It disgusted me, because these books are a Biblical allegory and those two ideas are NOT Biblical. I doubt I will go see "The Silver Chair" if they make it.

Also - Eustace = PERFECT! Definitely my favorite character! He got on my nerves the WHOLE time, just like he was supposed to do! On second thought, I might go see "The Silver Chair" if they make it just to see him again. I won't hold out hope that they'll get Jill right, though.

They definitely need to have a board of Lewis fans as consultants for their writers. I'd be a great member.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote