Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #41
Mari
Elf Lady

True, that.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #42
inked
Elf Lord

MY, My, my, Philip Pullman the anti-Lewis -as he is known in England- has sold 15 million copies in a decade and his movie bombed, too.

I guess there is some other factor in his case.

I cannot comment on his books, not having read them. However, I have read Mr. Pullman's commentary on Lewis through the years and am not impressed. He seems to think that only PP's views count! I have read speculation that PP is the inspiration for Gilderoy Lockhart in another wildly successful series about a boy wizard, though, so perhaps other authors have been more perceptive about his work than I can be!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #43
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
MY, My, my, Philip Pullman the anti-Lewis -as he is known in England- has sold 15 million copies in a decade and his movie bombed, too.

I guess there is some other factor in his case.
Lewis: 120 million in 55 years.

Pullman: 17 million in 15 years.(updated figures)

So, let's see, that works out to 17 x 3.66= 62 million in the same span- about half, but overall not bad- plus of course, he has a sequel coming out...

Oh, and when a Pullman movie bombs it's the fault of the book, but when a Lewis movie bombs it's the fault of the studio?

Yeah, certainly one other factor is that you have major religious organizations in the largest market relentlessly promoting one and calling for boycotts of the other, demanding it be taken out of public libraries, denouncing it from pulpits, talk radio, and TV programs etc.

As I said above, I don't think popularity is much a sign of quality- look at McDonald's and Harry Potter- but it's surprising that Pullman has done as well in America as he has, considering all the denunciations coming from people who haven't even read the book.

Maybe you should consider giving it a try- you might find that ideology doesn't always trump literary quality, as some of us atheists who love Lewis' story-telling have discovered.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 01-25-2009 at 11:46 PM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #44
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Lewis: 100 million in 55 years.

Pullman: 15 million in 10 years.

So, let's see, that works out to 15 x 5.5= 82.5 million in the same span- slightly under, but overall not bad.

Oh, and when a Pullman movie bombs it's the fault of the book, but when a Lewis movie bombs it's the fault of the studio?

Yeah, certainly one other factor is that you have major religious organizations in the largest market relentlessly promoting one and calling for boycotts of the other, demanding it be taken out of public libraries, denouncing it from pulpits, talk radio, and TV programs etc.

As I said above, I don't think popularity is much a sign of quality- look at McDonald's and Harry Potter- but it's surprising that Pullman has done as well in America as he has, considering all the denunciations coming from people who haven't even read the book.

Maybe you should consider giving it a try- you might find that ideology doesn't always trump literary quality, as some of us atheists who love Lewis' story-telling have discovered.
You've got a good point there GM, especially about the movies. However we haven't explored if Pullman's books were popular before The Amber Spyglass, after it, or if it was the same level of popularity.

Like I said, I thought the first two were great. But anyone reading the third one who isn't already of Pullman's mindset is going to go "WHOA!" and put it down, or be disgusted and hate it.

I thin Pullman would be more popular (and this applies to atheists in general) if he spent less time bashing CSL. The way he integrated his beliefs in his book was quite good (excepting TAS), and even touching (The Subtle Knife that cuts Will, who must face the reality of the pain rather than pretend it doesn't exist, which represents trying to face reality and not live in a fantasy world with God etc etc).

And anyone reading Pullman's criticisms of CSL is going to think he is going over the top...

When CSL disagreed with Arthur C. Clarke, he wrote him a nice letter discussing his disagreements. You can read these in the volumes published of CSL letters.

Pullman disagreeing with CSL: What a@#@%@!!!! I ##%#^&^@ hate him!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #45
inked
Elf Lord

GM, you'll have to tell me if Pullman's movie followed his book. I can't tell you since I have neither read the book(s) nor seen the movie. Although Lewis' books have stood the test of time and audience appeal -which fact your facts reveal- we have yet to see about PP's.

I have read PP's criticisms of Narnia. I have read Narnia. I can evaluate those.

And PC the movie was NOT PC the book. But I have delivered on that elsewhere and feel no need to do a PP and re-iterate my iteration of my idea.

On the other hand, I have long argued on this site and in multiple threads for the greatness of Harry Potter!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #46
Mari
Elf Lady

20th Century Fox to pick up Dawn Treader?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #47
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
No need for the question mark any more - NarniaWeb says that it's official!

Quote:
the goal is to get back to the magical aspects present in the first "Narnia" pic but mostly absent from "Prince Caspian."
I like that

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #48
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Yeah, BJ, shallow enough to have sold over 100 million copies in 41 languages!
I didn't say they were shallow, just more thematic than character-driven.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #49
inked
Elf Lord

Delighted to hear that someone else has picked on up the movie. Now, if they just follow the proven successful books rather than hollywoodization or disneyfication or other proven routes to nonsuccess! We shall see.......
Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #50
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
No need for the question mark any more - NarniaWeb says that it's official!
Really? Oh good

Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #51
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I just want everyone to know that I got a-hold of a BBC version of "The Silver Chair".

The effects were really cheesy, you were right about that. But it was so perfect as to the book (except for the end... it wasn't night or winter and there was no dance or snowball!).

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was the kind of thing where the actors think that passionate acting involves yelling all the time. There were a lot of times I thought they overreacted because they were yelling. But you guys were right; they are good movies (if the others are as good as that one, which I'm assuming they are!).
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #52
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Glad you enjoyed The Silver Chair. I need to make some time to watch my videos again.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #53
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2 View Post
Glad you enjoyed The Silver Chair. I need to make some time to watch my videos again.
Speaking of which, the DVDs are so cheap these days and I still haven't bought them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I just want everyone to know that I got a-hold of a BBC version of "The Silver Chair".

The effects were really cheesy, you were right about that. But it was so perfect as to the book (except for the end... it wasn't night or winter and there was no dance or snowball!).

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was the kind of thing where the actors think that passionate acting involves yelling all the time. There were a lot of times I thought they overreacted because they were yelling. But you guys were right; they are good movies (if the others are as good as that one, which I'm assuming they are!).
The yelling---you'll get used to it. But yeah, wasn't puddleglum just great? I thought so.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #54
Midge
Faithful Gardener

He was definitely my favorite. I LOVED the seashells in his hair. It took me a long time to figure out they weren't horns. Go figure.

He was definitely my favorite. I wish that he'd had just a bit more ... in-your-face-ness when he stuck his hand in the fire. "Oh, yeah? Well..."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #55
hectorberlioz

Did you notice how much the Witch yells? . You gotta see LWW. Even better for the screaming feature .

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #56
Varnafindë

I've got all the DVDs, but I haven't watched any other than than LWW - so I haven't watched The Silver Chair since I watched it on TV years back.

I should watch it again, in order to be able to explain why I was more disappointed with each of the series ...

I suppose Puddleglum was basically OK, but - as I said in an earlier post - they had given him a completely unnecessary and out-of-character nervous breakdown. Marshwiggles don't have nervous breakdowns. They just don't.

I'm afraid that's the thing I remember most from BBC's Silver Chair ...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #57
Midge
Faithful Gardener

His nervous breakdown? Oh, in the cave. I remember that. I was confused... I thought that I possibly just skimmed over it all the times I read the book. I've been known to do that. I had always imagined his skin being a muddy green color, instead of a normal skin color with green scales. And I was deeply offended when Jill and Eustace got all grossed out at his hands.

The prince was much less congenial and more creepy than I pictured him, and why on earth was his chamber encrusted in cobwebs? That made NO sense to me.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #58
Noldori
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Really? Oh good

Thank God! LWW was pretty darn good in my opinion, and Prince Caspian... well, let's just say that I was NOT pleased with Disney after that.

I just hope they keep on Harry Gregson-Williams for the soundtrack... I think his Narnia soundtracks are brilliant!
Na-chaered palan-d?*riel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, s?* nef aearon!
Noldori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #59
nasuada
Enting

I agree, the music is awesome! Well, now that Fox has hold of Narnia we can all sleep peacefully
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hands.

An Irish Blessing~

“If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large.”
~ William Wilberforce
nasuada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #60
Varnafindë

Yes, and Ben Barnes has already started growing his hair long for filming in July, because he'd rather not have to use hair extensions this time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-1709371.html