Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
Mercutio

I'm partway through The Horse & His Boy, and so far it is tied with Dawn Treader as favorite.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:23 AM   #22
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

It's been too long to give any sort of accurate answer, so I guess I'll start reading them again. I remember liking "The Magician's Nephew" the best by far, although it always seems to be skipped over. Then again, that's a hard one to make a good movie out of. I digress. If "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is the story I'm thinking of, that takes second place.

In which book was it that a child picks up a half-buried chess-piece? It was a knight that once had two ruby eyes, but one had fallen out. For some reason that chess piece stands out in my memory, a lot, but not the context of it. I have a little widdled horse in my room that always reminds me of it, too. In any case, I also like that book, if just for that part.

Now I'll read them myself again.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #23
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

That part is in Prince Caspian, IIRC. I like that book too, but I can't really pick a favorite one. I think that The Magicians Nephew, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, and Voyage of the Dawn Treader are my favorites. I'm not sure though.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!

Last edited by tolkienfan : 01-13-2006 at 02:04 AM.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #24
inked
Elf Lord

Save the books of childhood, they may be worth a pound or two...

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #25
paul
Sapling

Gandalf favorite Narnia book

undefinedundefinedundefined
Well I enjoy the whole chronicle.And I came to them in my late 20s, after dismissing them as childrens books. They are good tales . And like LOTR needs to read in sequence.

Last edited by paul : 01-18-2006 at 10:59 PM.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #26
inked
Elf Lord

Fascinating data...

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe beat the number two (Pooh) by twice as many votes for the number one book of British librarians for children!

see: http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/stor...&sec=lifefocus

Yeah!

edit: HP placed 28th on the list, but I'm not sure which book it was .
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-26-2006 at 08:13 PM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #27
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Save the books of childhood, they may be worth a pound or two...

even if they're paperback and held together with duct tape? (my daughter commented that Dawn Treader is the only one that doesn't have pages fall out when you open it up )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #28
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

even though I'm only on book 3... i like The Magician's Nephew the best...I love books that deal with the beginning of the story (so to speak)...like the Silmarillion or the Book of Genisis (both being my favorites in their respective categories _
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #29
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe are my favourites.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #30
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe was the first i read and it introduces you to the story so its my fav.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #31
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

My family is on our second set; all of the first set (except for the last battle) are missing their covers.

Up until last year I would have said The Horse and His Boy was my favorite, but The Silver Chair has recently taken its place.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #32
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

sadly the only one ive read is the cronicles of narina......im opened to book recommendations! ( to be exact, the loin, the witch and the wardrobe)

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone

Last edited by Tamuril Sirfalas : 03-08-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #33
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

I have just finished reading all of the Chronicles of Narnia.

It is difficult to decide which book is the best, since I think that each book has something that I like very much.

If I had to choose, I think I would choose either The Dawn Treader or The Magician's Nephew.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #34
Sanity's Demise
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
My favorites are A Horse and His Boy and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love the moment when Shasta is walking alone in the mist through the night, and Aslan walks beside him. When morning comes he sees the lion footprint and realizes he was on a ledge with a steep dropoff and Aslan was walking between him and the edge. He realizes that Aslan had been there all during his journey but he'd never recognized him.

I loved that part. It was more than my favorite, and it was what endeared the books to me. I like that scene and portrayal of a silently protecting being watching over you. I loved it.

"Think of Zombies. They're like Energizer Bunnies from hell! They don’t give up, they just keep going!"
-Casey on one of his favorite topics.
Sanity's Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #35
nasuada
Enting

Sam Gamgee

I can't say which one is my Favorite they are all so good,but i think i like The Horse and his boy, The silver chair,The last battle,the voyage of the Dawn Treader....i don't really know they are all so good!
nasuada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #36
The Black Captain
Sapling

It's funny, I always thought that I'd be alone in liking the 3rd book, that doesn't fit into the entire sequence of "people from our world enter another world" thematics.

I'd just like to explain why I love The Horse and His Boy so much.

For one thing, it's a lesson of humilty. Bree is such a boaster and thinks he is so much better than everyone else around him. And then Shasta out-trumps Bree by running back towards a lion that is about to fully pounce on Hwin and (what ever the girl's name was that I can't think of right now) and makes Bree completely miserable because he has finally realised that he isn't half as great as he thought he was.

I also love that unlike the other books, it's not about a bunch of spoiled British school kids that have just had a tiny bit of bad luck. This kid, Shasta, honestly has nothing. His father beats him (does memoery serve me right here?) and he lives a little better than a slave. It's so much easier to feel much more sadness, pity, happiness and all other things that happens to a person when they have experienced very little in their life. And then when he finds out he really is a prince and will one day be king, he doesn't want to be. For the same reason I sometimes read TLTWATW and pretend that there are 5 kids. What happens then? Which one is humble and which one is self-righteous and just takes the throne without question?

I also feel as thought Aslan cared more for Shasta than any other character whatsoever. Aslan says to Shasta how he has always been there for him, and been responsible for every (good) thing that has ever happened to him. (paraprhasing) "And I was the one who pushed the boat when you were just a baby to the man you come to knew as 'father' ".

When I first read that passage of Aslan walking alongside Shasta in the fog (I was about 13) I couldn't help but get teary-eyed from it. I think it was the nicest thing that Aslan ever did for a character in the books.

The Silver Chair is my second favourite, just because of the way that the whole mystery unfolds about Prince Rilian, the quest to find him, and how the four of them overcame the Green Lady/Serpent Witch. As someone else has already posted, how can you not love the speech of Puddleglum (paraphrased): "Even if Narnia were only ever a dream, I prefer the dream to this anyday!"

Then I like TLTWATW third, with TMN fourth, purely based on the way that their storylines offer redemption to the characters Edmund and Digory respectively. Also, the way how Charn is described as such a desolate, dead and evil place is one of the best descriptions of the lair of evil I have ever read (also in TMN).
The Black Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
Torongil
Hobbit

I've always liked the Silver Chair for some reason. The Horse and his boy was my second favorite.
Torongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #38
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

My favorite? Well, I honestly don't have a favorite, because I really don't like the books. And I'm not saying that without having read them, I have read each twice!

(For more on that you can message me )
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #39
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
My favorite? Well, I honestly don't have a favorite, because I really don't like the books. And I'm not saying that without having read them, I have read each twice!

(For more on that you can message me )
Why message? Put it out here for all to see- I'd be interested in hearing your PoV, and I'm sure others would, too.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #40
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

PoV?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote