Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

What is your favorite Narnia book?

The book I enjoyed most from the Chronicles was "The Horse and his Boy". What about the rest of you?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It was "Dawn Treader" for a LONG time; I could smell the sea and feel the movement of the ship ... and I loved the un-dragoning!

Horse & Boy is definitely one of my favorites - I love the part where Hwin meets Aslan.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

HAHB was definitely a good story...but I also rather liked the feel of Caspian...just the idea of the underground Narnia was really neat.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
It was "Dawn Treader" for a LONG time; I could smell the sea and feel the movement of the ship ... and I loved the un-dragoning!.....

I loved the un-dragoning, too , but I think The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe will always be my favorite because it was my introduction to Narnia and there is the sense of despair (1. always winter but never Christmas, 2. Aslan's sacrifice) overcome by great joy.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Hmm... my faveorite one would be, I guess, The magisions nefue (I can't spell)
The start of naria and all that.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Hmm... my faveorite one would be, I guess, The magisions nefue (I can't spell)
The start of naria and all that.
I love that one .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Mercutio

I haven't read all of them in years. In the past few days I've read LWW and Caspian, though, and so far I like Caspian better.

I don't think I liked the Magician's Nephew so much, but I can't recall why . Was that the one with the creation of something and the people getting lost in the attic and an Adam/Eve theme?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I remember answering this question in another thread... but I guess I could do it again. My favorites are A Horse and His Boy and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love the moment when Shasta is walking alone in the mist through the night, and Aslan walks beside him. When morning comes he sees the lion footprint and realizes he was on a ledge with a steep dropoff and Aslan was walking between him and the edge. He realizes that Aslan had been there all during his journey but he'd never recognized him. After that my favorite moments are the "undragoning" of Eustace, as Rian called it, the Stone Table, and of course, Radagast getting turned into a donkey. When I first read his assurance that anyone can learn to wiggle their ears I was determined to learn how, and I have!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the magician's nephew... i always love the background-type stories
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
After that my favorite moments are the "undragoning" of Eustace, as Rian called it ...
IIRC, I think Lewis called it that, too, in the book, didn't he?

Quote:
When I first read his assurance that anyone can learn to wiggle their ears I was determined to learn how, and I have!
Good for you! I can, too, and so can my daughter! And I can move my eyebrows independently, which cracks up my kids. Every once in awhile when we're all together, like after prayers, we have our talented family body parts show

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
azalea
Long lost mooter

It's SOOOO hard to pick a favorite, but I suppose my vote goes to The Magician's Nephew. It was fun to see where Prof. Kirke, the witch, the lamp-post, and the wardrobe came from, and also I love Aslan "singing" Narnia into existance. I thought there was a lot of good humor in this one, with the animals, etc. Also, I loved the images of the Wood between the Worlds and of the dying world they visited. The descriptions were creepy there. Also, I felt that the dynamic relationship between the main characters, as well as the character arch of each, were interesting and well-written.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #12
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Quote:
IIRC, I think Lewis called it that, too, in the book, didn't he?
I don't remember that, but it's been a while, so you're probably right.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #13
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I think I give a different answer every time I reply to this question... but today I'm going to say The Silver Chair. I like the interaction between Jill and Eustace (and Puddleglum!) and the juxtaposition between their school and Narnia at the beginning and end. The quest structure means it has a more focused plot than some of the other books, and the repeated contrasts between warmth and cold and darkness and light give it a really powerful texture... I especially love the scene where Puddleglum defies the witch's magic ("I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia"), the dance the children see when they break out of the cave and Caspian's death and subsequent healing by Aslan's blood.

Eustace drew back with a somewhat startled expression. "Look here, I say," he stammered. "It's all very well. But aren't you - I mean didn't you -?"
"Oh, don't be such an ass," said Caspian.
"But," said Eustace, looking at Aslan. "Hasn't he - er - died?"
"Yes," said the Lion in a very quiet voice, almost (Jill thought) as if he were laughing. "He has died. Most people have, you know. Even I have. They are very few who haven't."

and
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
... where Puddleglum defies the witch's magic ("I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia")

I absolutely love that part and his little speech!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I think I give a different answer every time I reply to this question... but today I'm going to say The Silver Chair. I like the interaction between Jill and Eustace (and Puddleglum!) and the juxtaposition between their school and Narnia at the beginning and end. The quest structure means it has a more focused plot than some of the other books, and the repeated contrasts between warmth and cold and darkness and light give it a really powerful texture... I especially love the scene where Puddleglum defies the witch's magic ("I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia"), the dance the children see when they break out of the cave and Caspian's death and subsequent healing by Aslan's blood.

Eustace drew back with a somewhat startled expression. "Look here, I say," he stammered. "It's all very well. But aren't you - I mean didn't you -?"
"Oh, don't be such an ass," said Caspian.
"But," said Eustace, looking at Aslan. "Hasn't he - er - died?"
"Yes," said the Lion in a very quiet voice, almost (Jill thought) as if he were laughing. "He has died. Most people have, you know. Even I have. They are very few who haven't."

and
*is in total agreement!*

Yeah, I love Puddleglum's line, esp.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #16
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oddly enough The Horse and his Boy was one book I just couldn't get into. I even stopped reading it at some point because it was a bit boring to my taste, only to pick it up years later and find out the story got interesting the chapter after the moment I stopped reading the first time. If only I had persisted a few more pages on my first read.

My favourite is Prince Caspian. I loved the moment where the four children walk through the ruins of their old castle. I could really picture that scene.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #17
Rían

I didn't like Horse for a long time, but years later, I loved it! Funny how we change ...

My least favorites now are Magician's Nephew and Prince Caspian (altho I do like the scene you described, Earniel), but that might change, too...

Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #18
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
It was "Dawn Treader" for a LONG time; I could smell the sea and feel the movement of the ship ... and I loved the un-dragoning!

Horse & Boy is definitely one of my favorites - I love the part where Hwin meets Aslan.
Dawn Treader and Silver Chair by far. Eustace's redemption is among the most powerful things that I've read in Lewis.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #19
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Oddly enough The Horse and his Boy was one book I just couldn't get into. I even stopped reading it at some point because it was a bit boring to my taste, only to pick it up years later and find out the story got interesting the chapter after the moment I stopped reading the first time. If only I had persisted a few more pages on my first read.

My favourite is Prince Caspian. I loved the moment where the four children walk through the ruins of their old castle. I could really picture that scene.
Exactly how it was with me and The Horse and His Boy. It just wouldnt click with me back then....

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #20
Mercutio

Now I'm reading Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I like it as much as Caspian so far. We will see by the end, though.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote