Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
umbardacil
Sapling

Lost Years of Merlin series

Has anyone here read The lost years of merlin by T.A Barron? i read the first book of the series and I thought it was pretty well written.
"What I'd really like to do is something extraordinary. Something big. Something mega. Something copious. Something capacious. Something cajunga! But I'll probably end up working at Great America, mopping up hurl and lung butter"
~Wayne, Wanes World 2
umbardacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I've not heard of that series and thank you for posting this. I'm going to put it on my "wish list".
Old 10-30-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Lenya
Elentári

Is it about King Arthur's Merlin?
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I have read these books, they're pretty good IIRC. I think it's an alternate universe Merlin, or maybe an explanation into his mysterious childhood. It was quite a while ago that I read them. I don't think I finished the series though, all his adventures seemed the same to me after a while.

Well worth reading though, here's the official website on it:
The Lost Years of Merlin

Edit: Actually, I think the alternate universe and our own world are somehow intertwined. Kind of like in "Third Magic" by Welwyn Wilton Katz, if anyone has read that.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-02-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*handwaggles* Meh. They were allright. Not particularly great, but not the worst thing I've ever read.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yeah I agree with your hand waggling Wayfarer. It's still worth reading though. Of course, there aren't many books I've read that I'd consider not worth reading, but that's not the point.

The first book is the best, and I'd say you could read that one and skip the rest of the series.

But if your reading hours are limited, "Third Magic" by Welwyn Wilton Katz (which is a similar style of story) is much better. I see I've already mentioned this book. But the two stories are similar - both connecting a new, invented, and magical world with the Arthurian legends we know and love. The difference between the two is that "Lost Years.." fails to make a meaningful connection, and that's the failing point of the series IMNSHO.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Yeah I agree with your hand waggling Wayfarer. It's still worth reading though. Of course, there aren't many books I've read that I'd consider not worth reading, but that's not the point.
You too?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

It's been a while since i read them, so i forget the other character's names, but i think my favorite book was when the girl (set in the present time) finds merlin beneath the water....i don't really remember much of what happened, but it was certainly interesting.
However, i don remember getting bored and irritated with the books because i didn't like the way the teen age merlin behaved. i'm just picky. See for me, they were like a massive, commercialy published fanfic. and as much as i like fanfics when they're good, they're nothing like hearing the full, original legend.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote