Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Finnrodde

Earthsea: miniseries vs. the books

It's not that the miniseries was bad. I enjoyed it. However, it was nowhere near as good as the books and the changes they made are almost unforgivable in my mind.

For one thing, the Taoist undertones seem to have been taken out, (every candles casts a shadow...) with ideas of good and evil. And what's with what they did to the sisterhood in Kargide? They worshipped the Nameless Ones in the books! Also, was there not a reincarnation thing going on with the Priestess. It wasn't successor! It was predetermined. Finally, was not Ged his true name and Sparrowhawk the one everyone knew?

Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't read those books in a long time, but I was very dissappointed with these changes, unless I forgot them. in which case forgive me. I have a very bad memory at time. Still, Earthsea was among the greatest fantasy sagas I've ever read, and they made so many changes its almost unforgtivable in my mind...

What do you think?

Last edited by Finnrodde : 12-14-2004 at 03:29 PM.