Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2000, 05:08 PM   #1
Eruve

Question about Morgoth's Ring

I saw in another thread where Michael Martinez said that there are parts of Morgoth's Ring that aren't canon. I'd like to know which parts those are. I haven't finished reading MR yet; I'm in the middle of the Athrabeth section.
Old 06-16-2000, 05:59 PM   #2
Fat middle

Re: Question about Morgoth's Ring

i haven´t read Morgoth´s Ring but i just wanted to point that canon are only the movies and the novellizations where those don´t contradict the movies and radio dramas where those don´t contradict...

sorry, Eruve, i couldn´t restrained myself. my heart started when i saw in a Tolkien forum the word "canon", the worst aberration of Star Wars forums.
Old 06-17-2000, 04:10 AM   #3
Michael Martinez

It's generally misleading to speak of "canon" without giving some sort of reference but I was kind of rushed. People seldom agree on what's "canonical", and to make matters worse, so-called experts like me use one canon one day and another canon the next day. So how is anyone to know?

As far as THE LORD OF THE RINGS is concerned, there is material in MORGOTH'S RING (Tolkien's speculative essays) which really doesn't fit with LOTR's material. In fact, there is material in MORGOTH'S RING which doesn't really fit with the published SILMARILLION due to Christopher Tolkien's compression and editing.

THE SILMARILLION itself is not wholly compatible with LOTR (Christopher points this out in the foreword).
Old 06-17-2000, 09:26 PM   #4
King SeaHorse

I see ... But the world of Tolkien is only started by J.R.R. Tolkien : it can be changed. Anyway, this world is different for each other. Ho... huh, Can you open a new french forum ? my english is bad !! Sorry ...
Old 06-17-2000, 09:55 PM   #5
bmilder

Don't worry, my French is worse than your English

I don't think there would be enough interest here for an entire French forum. If you get stuck writing something, there's always The AltaVista Translator which does French to English
Old 06-17-2000, 11:03 PM   #6
Eruve

Il n'y a peut-etre pas assez d'interet pour un forum en francais, mais il y a des gens ici qui parlent francais!
Old 06-23-2000, 08:33 PM   #7
Michael Martinez

French Language Tolkien forum

Tolkien en francais:
www.fondation.com/jrrvf/c...timate.cgi

I'm not trying to encourage anyone to leave Entmoot. I just thought I'd post the URL in case there are many French language fans who wonder where their fellow French speakers hang out.

And as some of you know, Spanish language fans can find a nice community at:
www.elfenomeno.com/Foro/Foro_Listar.asp
Old 06-24-2000, 04:36 AM   #8
arynetrek

Re: French Language Tolkien forum

gracias por la comunidad en espanol!

hasta luego,

aryne *