Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #41
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
Well the'yre both trying to achieve balance. Its like Obi-Wan says "it all depends on your point of view". In terms of a story there has to be a good guy/bad guy, but ultimately they're saying there is no such thing; there is simply the attempt to find balance, the yin and yang.

This is the deeper meaning in SW, its beyond good and evil, it totally fits this post modern world we live in, now the whole pattern is more visible in the EU, but given how the force is a blend of eastern tao, and Aurelius's LOGOS I would say thats where Lucas was going.

If you look at the entire history (of SW) you see this vicious circle, the Sith come to power and dominate then the Jedi destroy the Sith, or almost destroy them, then the sith come back, as far as I can tell the force was only in balance for the few hours that only two of each order existed.
This is kinda off-topic, but it's interesting. And I'd note that the Jedi and Sith are still very different. The biggest difference to note is the take on the control of emotion. Also, the fear and paranoia that led to the Rule of Two. The Sith seek power. The Jedi do not.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
This is kinda off-topic, but it's interesting. And I'd note that the Jedi and Sith are still very different. The biggest difference to note is the take on the control of emotion. Also, the fear and paranoia that led to the Rule of Two. The Sith seek power. The Jedi do not.
*pounces* I've been waiting months for someone to reply to that post. LOL anyway

See I would say that the jedi seek power too, they can't help it, its in their blood (literally given the whole midi clorian thing) they have to seek power to get the balance and they have the most power when they are in balance so their quest for balance is a quest for power in itself.

I think their key difference is mainly the motivations each order has and where their focus is sith on personal gain where they ultimately lose their soul, jedi in giving of themselves and ultimately gaining happiness, nirvana so on.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #43
Quickleaf
Sapling

The Answer:

Sifo-Dyas was a mysterious Jedi Master who served as a member of the Jedi High Council during the last decades of the Galactic Republic.

Biography

Life

Sifo-Dyas was once a good friend of fellow Master Dooku, and had the gift of precognition. He predicted the coming war, and knew the Galactic Republic would soon face dark times.

Sifo-Dyas secretly commissioned a clone army on Kamino, ostensibly to defend the Republic. Prior to this, Dooku had left the Jedi Order, and had fallen in league with Darth Sidious. He was told by the Sith Master about Sifo-Dyas' actions, and Sidious also revealed that they could use the clone army for their own ends. As a final test of his allegiance to the dark side of the Force, Dooku murdered Sifo-Dyas and took control of the project for himself. It was Sidious' true intention to use Sifo-Dyas only as a dead-end cover for Palpatine's order of a clone army.

Legacy

Dooku kept his old friend's body frozen for years until the InterGalactic Banking Clan initiated their plan to turn the Kaleesh warlord, General Grievous, into a great cyborg supreme strategist for the Separatist droid armies. Dooku used Sifo-Dyas for a blood transfusion for the General. Once Grievous' transformation into a cyborg had been successfully completed, Dooku gave him the very special gift of Master Sifo-Dyas' own blue-bladed lightsaber.

When Obi-Wan Kenobi traveled to Kamino to investigate the source of the dart that silenced Padmé's attempted killer Zam Wesell, the Kaminoan prime minister Lama Su informed Obi Wan that Sifo-Dyas had ordered the creation of a clone army on Kamino at the request of the Senate, in order to help the Galactic Republic. The Jedi Council was not aware of the order until Kenobi informed them of it after he met with the Kaminoans.

In 22 BBY, Sifo-Dyas' army was eventually revealed and used at the behest of the Galactic Republic. Three years later, it would be used to destroy the Jedi in accordance with Order 66.

-Quickleaf
Quickleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #44
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

And this info comes from where?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #45
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
And this info comes from where?
It's canon. Check Wookiepedia.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #46
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I thought that canon only applied to what was actually shown in the movies.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #47
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I thought that canon only applied to what was actually shown in the movies.
Well, that's true, from a certain point of view.

There are actually different levels of canon in the Star Wars 'verse. It's true that this information, which can be found in the lead in book to Ep. III, Labyrinth of Evil, is of a lower level of canon than the films, but it's still canon. It's just subject to the higher levels of canon, like the films. But since it doesn't contradict anything in George Lucas' films, it's canon.

Apparently, according to Wookiepedia, George Lucas originally intended that Sifo-Dyas was simply a false identity for Sidious. But since Lucas obviously didn't use this idea for the film, as Masters on the Council did know of Sifo-Dyas and he was a real Jedi, the back story laid out in Labyrinth of Evil seems to make the most sense.

The idea that Gui-Gon could have ordered it is not bad, but I do not think Gui-Gon was that radical, personally, nor so deceptive as to do something like that under a false name. He would have at least owned up to his own actions by using his own name, I think.

If you don't like the "canon" version of who Sifo-Dyas is, I would sympathize. There are things written by people other than Lucas that would technically be canon that I think is just plain dumb and refuse to see as canon. For instance, the idea of there being creatures that are separate or "torn" from the Force and therefor aren't affected by it. That's just silly.

Check out this post at Wookiepedia on what is Canon, if you're interested.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.

Last edited by D.Sullivan : 06-03-2009 at 05:15 PM.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote