FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2002, 01:15 PM   #21
Sween
im quite stupid

right im not even gonna try and understand that
Old 05-26-2002, 01:20 PM   #22
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What's there to understand? By bringing/helping to bring the dark side to the fore, he is counterbalancing to good side, ie like the scales of justice.

Of course, it could be that he brings balance by destroying first the good side, and THEN the bad side (Jedi massacre (pure speculation here), and then the Emperor, and being "saved".)

OR, it could be that he brings balance by having Luke and Leia. Both of which act in the rebellion in a HUGE way. Luke by saving Anakin, and Leia by acting as the catalyst, and helming the rebellion....
Old 05-26-2002, 01:27 PM   #23
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Well, if he kills most of the Jedi, what are left are Yoda and Obi Wan for the good side and him and th Emperor on the Dark. The first 2 join with the force and he kills the Emperor and then has a change of heart and joins the force as well.

Perhaps it could be that most of the force (residing in midichlorians) is now (except for Luke and Leia) liberated from any controlling Jedi or Sith to spread from living thing to living thing.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 01:33 PM   #24
azalea
Long lost mooter

When they bagan talking about that balance in Epi I I immediately thought that too -- the scales seemed tipped to the side of good guys, so balance would mean tipping it toward the dark side. So I thought why would they want to train a guy in the Jedi arts who has that as his destiny? Then I thought well maybe they hoped to mold him to the good side before the dark side could claim him. These were just my random thoughts on the matter. I had also thought of the Luke/Leia thing, but I han't thought about the killing of the Emperor -- that's a good theory. But that still doesn't go with what I would see as "balance". Hmm.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:49 AM   #25
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Interesting theory about balance. But the Force is not just the Jedi, they are “only” wielders of the Force. The Jedi may work towards the Light side, but were their influence upon the Republic so pervasive that it made it clearly unbalanced towards the Light side?
For what I saw in the movies I’m under the impression that that is not the case. Even with their numbers they seem to be hard pressed to avoid the Republic fall into anarchy.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:07 PM   #26
azalea
Long lost mooter

Very good point -- I think you're right, it means all of the
Universe, not just the Jedi.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:53 PM   #27
Ocarina654
Sapling

Location: A box under the stairs in the corner of the basement half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait shop. You know the place.
Nononono! you got it all wrong...! Vader brings the force back into balance by killing the all powerful Emperor, and by returning to the Light Side at the same time. This destroys the Dark Side at sets the force into balance because now there is no more fighiting, no more evil. Now because there is only one 'team' one the force, its balanced. Now because there is no Dark Side fighting aginst them, all the Good jedi have it balanced. Its kinda like one of those common sence things.... no im just kidding. But really thats how it is with the balance.

on the Sifa-Dias note. If it was Qui-Gon, well that wouldn't work. it was one SIFA-DIAS not Qui-Gon Jinn! We'll just have to wait and see exactly who it is. Though if it WAS Qui-Gon that would be quite interesting!
Ocarina654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 06:35 AM   #28
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
on the Sifa-Dias note. If it was Qui-Gon, well that wouldn't work
It wouldn't work coz Obi-wan seemed to know who Sifa-Dias was so it couldn't have been Qui-Gon who was his master.

There can't be balance if there's only one side, its like a see-saw if all the weight is one side the saw tips, the good and dark side have to be evenly balanaced to bring balance. I reckon Anakin had to go to the dark side to make eveything balanced coz he's so powerful he is equivilent to several Jedi on the good side

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:29 PM   #29
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I thought count Dooku used the name of the dead Sifo Dyas to convince the Kaminoans they were building the clone army for the republic. Jango Fett was hired by a guy called Tyranus and at the end Darth Sidous calls count Dooku Tyranus. So I think Dooku arranged everything to get Darth Sidious an army.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:18 PM   #30
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Another thought- What if sifo-dyas is who count dooku was before he left the jedi order?

He's supposed to be dead... but then again, so was anakin. What if he slipped off and took another name?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:04 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Another thought- What if sifo-dyas is who count dooku was before he left the jedi order?

He's supposed to be dead... but then again, so was anakin. What if he slipped off and took another name?
Perhaps. But Obi Wan appeared to know him as Count Dooku, and he had a pretty public persona.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #32
Jediknight
Sapling

My thought is that the balance is the jedi who will restore peace and the chosen one is luke, so the council are misstaking.
Jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #33
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediknight
My thought is that the balance is the jedi who will restore peace and the chosen one is luke, so the council are misstaking.
Actually Anakin brought balance to the force, after his betrayal the jedi were whittled down to two Jedi and two Sith = balance after Vader's death and the Empreror's death, the force was no longer in balance. Fast forward 30 years and the jedi under Luke have repopulated again the force is no longer in balance, the last SW book I read is basically the rise of Jacen Solo as the next sith lord who will bring the force into balance again. I'm sure you can all see the vicious circle here.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #34
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Of chorse one theory that has not been brought up is that perhaps the jedi are not the good guys but insted trying to acheve balance.

That would explain why the sith (Defanate bad-guys) are such a threat, why the jedi side of things is never refered to in the movies as 'the light side', and why the jedi are never the agressors.

I kinda like this theory becuase that would mean there would be light-side wielders, likely mistaken for sith due to their agressive pursuit of ending the sith.

(Realy that doesn't work that well)
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Of chorse one theory that has not been brought up is that perhaps the jedi are not the good guys but insted trying to acheve balance.

That would explain why the sith (Defanate bad-guys) are such a threat, why the jedi side of things is never refered to in the movies as 'the light side', and why the jedi are never the agressors.

I kinda like this theory becuase that would mean there would be light-side wielders, likely mistaken for sith due to their agressive pursuit of ending the sith.

(Realy that doesn't work that well)
Well the'yre both trying to achieve balance. Its like Obi-Wan says "it all depends on your point of view". In terms of a story there has to be a good guy/bad guy, but ultimately they're saying there is no such thing; there is simply the attempt to find balance, the yin and yang.

This is the deeper meaning in SW, its beyond good and evil, it totally fits this post modern world we live in, now the whole pattern is more visible in the EU, but given how the force is a blend of eastern tao, and Aurelius's LOGOS I would say thats where Lucas was going.

If you look at the entire history (of SW) you see this vicious circle, the Sith come to power and dominate then the Jedi destroy the Sith, or almost destroy them, then the sith come back, as far as I can tell the force was only in balance for the few hours that only two of each order existed.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
ayra
Elven Warrior

Location: Kalia. YOU HUMANS CAN'T GO THERE! Also land of boredom
Well, you know this all depends on your point of view... So, Qui-Gon could have gone undercover and gotten the Kaminoins(sp) to make a Clone Army. If I remember correctly, Qui-Gon could have been on the Council except for the fact that he was too unpredictable. He did not always follow the Council's orders. I'm just thinking in my own little box over here.

US KALIANS WILL RULE THOSE FROM THE REPUBLIC!

Kalia rocks!
ayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #37
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I think Jabba was Sifo-Dyas. There's no other logical explanation.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #38
ayra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I think Jabba was Sifo-Dyas. There's no other logical explanation.
Maybe there is no other logical explanation.
BUT Jabba was not a Jedi and the Kaminoians said that it was a Jedi Master that ordered the clones.
I may just give up on trying to figure out who Sifo-Dyas is.

Kalia rocks!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #39
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Qui-Gon didn't order the army. It isn't common for people to just go around buying armies, much less a Jedi who doesn't know what it's going to be used for. That I think is very unwise action, and I don't think Qui-Gon was that stupid.

Besides, when in doubt, go to Wookiepedia!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sifo_dias
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.

Last edited by D.Sullivan : 10-29-2007 at 12:08 AM.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #40
ayra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Sullivan
Qui-Gon didn't order the army. It isn't common for people to just go around buying armies, much less a Jedi who doesn't know what it's going to be used for. That I think is very unwise action, and I don't think Qui-Gon was that stupid.

Besides, when in doubt, go to Wookiepedia!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sifo_dias
Hmmm, I did not know that... But, of course, 'tis said Wookiepedia is not always correct... Not to say that you are wrong.

Kalia rocks!