Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-19-2002, 04:03 PM   #1
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
What remains to be known is who is this Cipher Diaz who went to Kamino about 10 yrs prior to Ep. II.
My friend speculated this, I will try to explain:
He thinks that the Cipher Diaz guy is the same a Dooku. Obi-Wan thought Cipher Diaz was dead similar to the way that Luke though his father was dead. He thinks that Dooku made the clones so he and Palpatine could take over the universe. He believe that Dooku joined the rebellion so that he could wipe them out. If he joined the enemy he could be able to know where they are. Is this making sense??
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 04:18 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

Who is Sifo-Dyas?

I thought in the interest of more focused discussion, we could branch out the issues brought up in the review thread.

Who is Sifo-Dyas, the Jedi Master that the Kaminoans say placed the order for the clones?

He died around 10 years earlier, which is also the approximate time of TPM. Who else died then? Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. We know that there was no one named Sifo-Dyas on the council in TPM, so either he left before that or the Kaminoans were misinformed.

The obvious answer would be Sidious, especially considering that the character was originally named "Sido-Dyas." But was the change to avoid confusion or make it less obvious? And did Sidious kill the real Sifo-Dyas and steal his identity, or was there any real one at all?

An intriguing theory I heard is that it's Qui-Gon. He placed the order and then couldn't ever come back, because obviously he's dead. Qui-Gon was Dooku's apprentice, so maybe it was as a favor for him, and he didn't realize that Dooku had crossed over to the dark side. Yoda and Mace definitely look like they know Sifo-Dyas's identity, but are concealing information from Obi-Wan. I'm not sure I buy the theory, but it sounds cool.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 04:18 PM   #3
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

That's one of the posibilities I'm contemplating, emplynx.

It does not, however, remove the possibility of Darth Sidius himself or Darth Maul. '

I guess that's what we need to wait 3 yrs for...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

That IS a cool theory! Very, very possible too. It goes along with Qui-gon's penchant for independent thinking as well.

Are Sifo and Sido brothers? (Or even twins?)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
gdl96
the greg the admin

This whole situation is very confusing, and Harry Knowles's new Episode II review does a very good job at explaining it to the fullest extent (obviously, some information is just not known yet). It helps clear up the whole Dooku thing as well.

Explaing the points of the battle:
Quote:
What is the goal of the battle? Well if you want to be a dictator, you pit two sides that you are allies with fight, with your enemy in the middle. The goal of this whole conflict was multi-fold.
1) Put Palpatine in position to assume War Powers, thus effectively making him a dictator.
2) Put the clone army at Palpatine’s fingertips.
3) Killing as many Jedi as possible in the crossfire, thus crippling their abilities to adequately uphold the law of the Republic.
4) Test the strength and weaken the Jedi. Watch how they respond and look for weaknesses.
Explaining the plot in terms of a James Bond movie:
Quote:
This chapter of the STAR WARS saga is essentially the James Bond film to end all James Bond films. James Bond is divided into two characters. Obi Wan and Anakin. M is Yoda, who sends Obi Wan to handle the mystery of the dart and Anakin to safeguard the babe. Now contrary to 90% of the James Bond movies, M (aka Yoda) doesn’t tell Bond, "The guy you’ll be investigating is _____, you’ll find him at ________, your job is to ________ him and take control of _________." Hell, Yoda doesn’t even know that there is A) The Evil Master Plan, B) Giant Armies Massing, C) That getting the Senator off Coruscant is playing directly into the Evil guy’s hands.
I love that Scaramanga (aka Dooku) isn’t revealed all along. That he isn’t playing cat and mouse with Bond (aka Obi Wan) throughout the whole film. Instead Obi Wan’s mission is to catch OddJob/Jaws/Donald ‘Red’ Grant (aka Jango Fett) and bring him in for questioning. He doesn’t even know who this guy works for. Hasn’t a clue that by following him he’ll find himself at the big SPECTRE meeting with the big round table listening to how they are going to overthrow M and all his double O agents. Meanwhile the other Bond (aka Anakin) is all emotion. He’s the Bond trying to lay his lady down. Protect her from on top. Problem is, she is resistant to his charms. She finds Bond (aka Anakin) too cocky and sure of himself to start with, and only when Bond drops his pretension and begins communicating to her and exposing himself emotionally, does she begin to let him in. Then, of course when all the Bond information (Padme Safe/Bad Guys here) is sent to M, he sends all the agents, while M goes off to get the entirety of the British Armed Forces to lay waste to the enemy.
There is no victory though because it turns out that the Prime Minister is actually Blofeld disguised to look like Tony Blair, the man that M allegedly ultimately reports to.
What’s the point? The point is for this democracy to be turned into a dictatorship, those that protect the sanctity of the government and the ideals that keep it free… MUST BE ELIMINATED. That is the Jedi. If the Emperor reveals himself, his power ebbs. Hidden, behind the scenes, you control and push both sides of the chess match. If you control both sides long enough, you win. This is brilliant TAKE OVER THE UNIVERSE STRATEGY!
got to aintitcoolnews.com for more
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I bet you anything you like, that it's not going to be that obvious. George has never failed to surprise me yet. However, the Qui Gon Jinn theory does have its merits. He WAS the Padawan of Dooku, so there is a definate link there. Interesting.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:00 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

I guess my theory at this point is that Dooku used Sypher-Dias (or whatever)'s identity to order the clones, so no one would end up knowing who really did it, and Jango was lying.
Who was the guy at the beginning with Padme? Was he the guy with the patch, or was he one of the clones, or did he just look similar? I wasn't sure if he was a bad guy in disguise or a good guy that just looked like one of the bad guys.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

<beam>

They're both NZ actors.

One is samoan, and the other is maori.

Completely different, trust me.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:25 PM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm definately going to have to see it again to get all these characters straight!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #10
gdl96
the greg the admin

The guy with the eye patch is Captain Typho. He's the new Captain Panaka.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 05:30 PM   #11
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I think I read somewhere that Typho is Panaka's nephew.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hmmm...

Qui-Gon is a Shiskebob, and Darth Maul is mincemeat, so I'd say that those two are ruled out.

Palpatine operates under the Sidious Moniker, and Count Dooku used the 'lord tyrannus' to hire Jengo Fett, so I'd say that those two are somewhat unlikely.

Although, personally, I'd hope it's qui-gon, myself. Liam neeson is cool.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:20 PM   #13
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

After a 5th viewing, I noticed that after the shot of Anakin beheading ther 3rd Tuskan and next scene cuts to Yoda talking to Windu about Anakin's pain, I hear Quigon's voice from Episode I where he calls "Anakin!" which I think was when he first duels Maul in the desert of Tattooine.

Any chance of Quigon's spirit desperately trying to stop Anakin from going on the path to the Dark Side?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-20-2002, 07:24 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I wondered who said that!
Old 05-20-2002, 07:45 PM   #15
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I hear Quigon's voice from Episode I where he calls "Anakin!" which I think was when he first duels Maul in the desert of Tattooine.
Yeah, I read that in the USA Today a few days ago and I noticed it on my second viewing.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:15 AM   #16
Sween
im quite stupid

Sifo dias was origionally an unknow person but for some reason lucas decided to change the name slightly to avoid complicating it. I dont have a clue where qui gon is going to play into this. very intresting that he never disapread upon death like obi wan and yoda.

Anakin says one day he will learn to stop people dieing. maybe sidious knows how to stop people dieing and brought qui gon back to life!

bit far fetched i know but i feel he will have to play into this sumhow.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:24 AM   #17
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

On stopping people from dying, maybe it happens by his act of killing the Emperor, hence ending the Empire and war (of course after helping it along for some 30 to 40 yrs).

Pretty much the same with bringing balance to the force.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-26-2002, 10:35 AM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Depends on your definition of "balance". It could also be taken to mean balancing the good by introducing the evil into the galaxy. Yeah, I know, doesn't really wash, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway... 2am, can't sleep....
Old 05-26-2002, 12:24 PM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

i never understood this balance thing. Is balance equal parts it seemed that it was all in favor of the light side of the force
Old 05-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #20
emplynx

I believe he bring balance by being in the dark side.
-10 + 10 = 0
Ph 1 acid + Ph 13 base = Neutral