Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Disney buys Star Wars

Well, there's a surprise. But it's true.

I never quite suspected it would take Disney to ever bring Episode Seven, Eight and Nine to the big screen in the next decade. But they're certainly rearing to go, by the looks of it.

So what do you think, good move or bad move?
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't even know what to think!!!

I feel like the newest ones were such a disaster... There were so many things about the stories that didn't make sense, and I found myself growing more and more irritated with the rising pitch of the voices of the battle droids... it felt like the humor and the story became more and more lowbrow, and of course the other issue was how the technology seemed MORE advanced in the prequels. It was also weird to watch Natalie Portman, who I consider to be extremely talented, turn into a wooden log. Other movies she was putting out before, or at the same time, were SO MUCH better... so I can only assume it was all Lucas.

I think the charm of the original Star Wars was that it was campy, but not stupid. I hope the sequels will have a much more solid story line and will ignore a lot of the nonsense from the prequels like midichlorians. I think another thing that helped the original 3 shine was that they left a sense of mystery to things and didn't try to explain everything with pseudo-science.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Earniel

I kind of agree. Which was why my first thought when I heard they'll keep Lucas on as 'creative consultant' , was 'Oh God no, don't do it, Disney.'

He screwed up with the prequels and the constant remoddling of the original trilogy, if you ask me. Same as with the last Indy-movie.

Then again, Disney and sci-fi... not always a successful mix either.

Although it will be interesting to see if they'll base the new movies on the written sequels, or whether they'll go into entirely new directions. Some of the books are really good material.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Well, there's a surprise. But it's true.

I never quite suspected it would take Disney to ever bring Episode Seven, Eight and Nine to the big screen in the next decade. But they're certainly rearing to go, by the looks of it.

So what do you think, good move or bad move?
Disney should have the resources to make good films. Time will tell if they do a good job.

I think that the prequels were weak. In fact I still have not seen the 3rd prequel, although others have said they are better than the first two. (I do not think that is saying much.)

Like Tessar, I found many things annoying and some things that did not make sense in the prequels.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Mithrand1r, I'll fill you in on everything you missed by not seeing the final prequel:

1. Apparently they don't use contraceptives or protection in the future, even when they are having secret relationships that they think will ruin their careers/lives, and Luke and Leia were accidents.

2. Battle droid voices became so high pitched we only knew they were talking because we could hear dogs howling in the distance.

3. Apparently R2-D2 got rockets installed on his legs between Episodes 2 and 3, and then promptly lost them before Episode 4 started.

4. A pregnant woman, who was once the queen of an entire damn PLANET, can apparently die of sorrow after seeing her beautiful, healthy babies when her secret lover leaves her even though she could maybe possibly have totally have shacked up with Young Obi-Wan who (lets be real) is pretty much a 10 on a scale of 1-10 for Manly Perfection.... and who also didn't have a whiny attitude or God complex, unlike her secret lover. Or at least she could've enjoyed looking at him for the rest of her life, if Jedi Masters really aren't supposed to have relations.

SO ANYWAYS. Given the above points, by "creative consultant," I can only pray they mean "guy who everyone ignores."

I was actually mentioning to the BF tonight that I really felt like the Star Wars prequels were made by someone NOT George Lucas. Like when cartoonists pass away, and they've been teaching their son/daughter how to draw the comic strip so it keeps coming out? But you know it's not the original writer/drawer, and it doesn't FEEL the same. That's how the prequels felt to me. Like someone who was trying to imitate the originals and didn't quite understand them.

I really think that feeling of "mystery" was a big, missing feature from the prequels. It reminded me of the first time Robert Jordan gave Moiraine a chapter where we could "see" what was going on inside her head, and it transformed her from this kind of mystical, mysterious wizard into just another petty character squabbling with everyone else. It was so irritating to me, and it has always stuck with me that sometimes it's better not to explain everything in a story.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
and it has always stuck with me that sometimes it's better not to explain everything in a story.
Tolkien would totally agree with you. The feeling that there is something more out there, behind the story, only hinted at ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
3. Apparently R2-D2 got rockets installed on his legs between Episodes 2 and 3, and then promptly lost them before Episode 4 started.
Same as with C-3PO's wiped memory. Always thought that was ludicrous.

Quote:
A pregnant woman, who was once the queen of an entire damn PLANET, can apparently die of sorrow after seeing her beautiful, healthy babies when her secret lover leaves her even though she could maybe possibly have totally have shacked up with Young Obi-Wan who (lets be real) is pretty much a 10 on a scale of 1-10 for Manly Perfection.... and who also didn't have a whiny attitude or God complex, unlike her secret lover. Or at least she could've enjoyed looking at him for the rest of her life, if Jedi Masters really aren't supposed to have relations.
Meh, if my incredibly whiny and childish secret lover made such a pathetic attempt at killing me, I sure would have lost the will to remain part of this badly written plot too!

Padmé's treatment remains one of the sorest points about the whole prequel thing. You have a capable actress, give her something less-than-poorly-characterisation-crap to work with! Not to mention it couldn't really have been all that difficult to make the prequels consistant with what Leia says about her mother in the original trilogy. [/end of rant]

Quote:
SO ANYWAYS. Given the above points, by "creative consultant," I can only pray they mean "guy who everyone ignores."
The one whose memos nobdy reads? Yeah, that might be useful. Although staying on as creative advisor doesn't quite feels like 'it's time for a new generation.'

Quote:
I was actually mentioning to the BF tonight that I really felt like the Star Wars prequels were made by someone NOT George Lucas. Like when cartoonists pass away, and they've been teaching their son/daughter how to draw the comic strip so it keeps coming out? But you know it's not the original writer/drawer, and it doesn't FEEL the same. That's how the prequels felt to me. Like someone who was trying to imitate the originals and didn't quite understand them.
I know exactly what you mean here. Although in this case, I'm starting to wonder how much of the original triology that made it so great was Lucas' to begin with. Because going on the prequels, this is a guy who hasn't got a clue how to write romance, or political intrigue for that matter, and yet Han's and Leia's romance in Empire was spot on.

Quote:
It was so irritating to me, and it has always stuck with me that sometimes it's better not to explain everything in a story.
One of the great lessons aspiring writers better take on board.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

To be honest, one thing I AM potentially looking forward to is more good music! A lot of Disney movies do have gorgeous, epic soundtracks (Pirates of the Caribbean for example). It's a beautiful way of keeping orchestral music alive in this day and age, and a lot of the music is just fantastic. That's one thing I'm so looking forward to with The Hobbit. I know some amazing music will come out of it.

The "Force Theme," which plays at the beginning of episode 4, when Luke is looking at the double sunset on Tatooine, just pulls at my heart strings every time I hear it. That particular scene is very iconic to me, and the imagery and sound of it really stick with me. Same goes for a lot of other movie music. I also adore the love theme from episode 2... despite the suckiness of that movie, the love theme is amazing.

I got to sing in a choir when the Star Wars tour came through my city (met Anthony Daniels, who was narrating the thing--which was AMAZING) and it was mind-blowing to get to be the choir for "Duel of the Fates" and the battle theme from Episode 3. And I was sitting directly behind the orchestra when they played the love theme... beyond amazing. It was definitely an experience I'll remember for the rest of my life. It doesn't hurt that the Bass line sat really high, so you basically got to just scream with excitement for the entire time. :P All those high notes get your blood pumping, even more so surrounded by a massive orchestra!!!!

So I don't know... I think I'm potentially excited about the movies, and it feels like a little bit of an adventure waiting to find out what'll happen with them.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Earniel

Now that you mention it, there's something I hadn't thought about! Musically this could indeed be a match made in heaven.

Star Wars has by far the best collection of tunes of ANY franchise and music remains one of Disney's better points. Despite the Star Wars soundtrack CD's still having that rediculous anti-copy 'protection' I sometimes still play them. Except not on my MP3-player because that, you know, is piracy! Dark side stuff! Or somethin' Yeah, the music was easily the best thing in the prequels. (Yes, even better than Padmé's wardrobe.)

Now I'm getting excited!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ok enough of this music talk! Youll encourage Disney to go to far and we'll end up with STAR WARS: THE MUSICAL. Arg... Not too excited about this I must tell you. I think I would be more ok if they just made something along a Star Wars THEME (as noted theres plenty of material already out there and you could even go a different direction and into new territory - maybe something focusing on the old battles between the Jedi and the Sith). But 3 more episodes of my beloved Star Wars series? From Disney? No thank you. Let it die in peace. The hard cores can find what they want in the Star Wars Underground movement. No need to hollywoodize it. But yeah Ill watch it if they make it...

By the way, I was coincidentally in Orlando just a few miles from the park when this all came out. We were actually supposed to have big George at a convention event we were hosting so he could talk about the Tuskegee Airmen but he cancelled at the last minute and sent a lackey in his place. And now we know why...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh! And we all know this makes a Star Wars themed amusement park an inevitability right?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Isn't there already one? O_o I could've sworn there was.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I hope not. According to this they were contractually barred from making one. But now that Disney actually OWNS them... well...

Lets change the perspective on this to something that hits close to home for all of us here. Imagine if you found out Disney bought the Tolkien estate... I think that press release alone would induce bloody eared migraines and involuntary fetal positions from thousands of elite level Tolkien traditionalists and the backlash that would follow would make Jacksons movies seem like a love fest. And the concept of a Tolkien Amusement Park I think would actually trigger suicide bombings among the hardest of the hard core from my experience. Dont you think?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Earniel

Well, if there is one thing Hollywood cannot do, then it is letting franchises die in peace when there's still a drop of money to be wrung from them. I don't think Disney is the best choice to buy (and probably 're-invent') Star Wars, but they now have Pixar and there may just be a chance Star Wars isn't murdered. Well, not more murdered than George was doing...

But I admit, I got a bit carried away, imagining Darth Vader singing something like 'be prepared' from Lion King.

Doesn't Disney already has a popular spacy ride in one of the parks, Space Mountain or something? They may just throw in a couple of TIE-fighters in there and call it a day.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Draken
Elf Lord

I've got a BAD feeling about this...

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Ben
Retired Ent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Well, if there is one thing Hollywood cannot do, then it is letting franchises die in peace when there's still a drop of money to be wrung from them. I don't think Disney is the best choice to buy (and probably 're-invent') Star Wars, but they now have Pixar and there may just be a chance Star Wars isn't murdered. Well, not more murdered than George was doing...

But I admit, I got a bit carried away, imagining Darth Vader singing something like 'be prepared' from Lion King.

Doesn't Disney already has a popular spacy ride in one of the parks, Space Mountain or something? They may just throw in a couple of TIE-fighters in there and call it a day.
I think the movies may turn out to be pretty good. Disney knows how to treat a franchise (see the Marvel movies). They've already hired some top screenwriters for the new Star Wars trilogy.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #17
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi Ben!! How's the wife and kids? Seriously, nice to see you

so MHO : IF Disney give it to a group like Pixar, there's a chance ...

And yes, Tolkien definitely said it was important to leave things unexplained in books, and darn it if he wasn't right! I always loved those little hints dropped here and there that you just KNOW have a wonderful story behind them ...

OH, speaking of Star Wars, one of the movies was on the other night and the kids were with me and I had my WONDERFUL new Macbook Air cradled protectively in my lap (my precious!!! I luvs oo!!), so I googled movie bloopers, and went to the scene we were at, and we saw the funniest blooper! You know when "our heroes" are in the trash compactor, and C3 and R2 are in the control room trying to stop them from getting crushed? Well, the first time that the stormtroopers enter the control room, watch the guy on the right ...

We just DIED laughing!!!! We kept rewinding it and watching it over and over Then we called my husband into the room and had him watch a minute (a little before the gaffe and a little after) and didn't tell him what the blooper was, only that there WAS a blooper, and hubby, who is normally VERY observant, didn't see it! And we were just about blowing a gasket trying to not laugh when it happened so we wouldn't cue him when it was He watched it 3 times, and we finally had to tell him. It's amazing what you can miss when you're focused on something else!

Here's what the blooper is :
When the 3 stormtroopers come into the control room, watch the guy on the right - he smacks his head on the door hard enough where it knocks him back a bit, and then like the "trooper" he is (pun intended), he covers it up and keeps going. You can even hear the hit on the soundtrack!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-05-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote