Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #21
XRogue
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
I saw know evidence of it being a feed back loop, and now that's too much "supposing" for me. I guess if we go on like this we would never really know, so I don't know.

It's not any visible evidence for me, either, it's a theory based on the EU. (ok, ok, I know likely that is going to get thrown out and I don't blame you, it's not explicitly stated, but it's a possible plausible explanation, so hang in a sec.)

Mace invented a lightsaber fighting style intended to use against Dark side wielders, which allows the Dark side attacks thrown at Mace to flow through him and be reflected back onto the opponent.

Like I say, it's thin.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #22
orithil
Captain Jack

Yes i agree to if i remebered rightly after mace was dead and he was making a speech to the senate he made a point about his scars.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #23
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

This still proves my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRogue View Post
It's not any visible evidence for me, either, it's a theory based on the EU. (ok, ok, I know likely that is going to get thrown out and I don't blame you, it's not explicitly stated, but it's a possible plausible explanation, so hang in a sec.)

Mace invented a lightsaber fighting style intended to use against Dark side wielders, which allows the Dark side attacks thrown at Mace to flow through him and be reflected back onto the opponent.

Like I say, it's thin.
No, I don't see why your point would be thrown out, I think you have a good point about Maces fighting style (though I knew nothing of it). Weither palpatine originally was toying with Mace to egg on Skywalker and miscalculated, do to mace's hidden abilities maybe true. My point still is that palps was about to die, he was not faking in those last seconds before Mace was about kill him and before anakin slew Mace.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #24
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Great thread to revive. *sorrowfully* where have all the star wars freaks gone?

Yeah I haven't thought about this question in a while, but I agree with Xrogue, Windu developed Vaapad, a seventh form of the lightsaber, one that relies on letting the adrenaline and raw aggression of a battle fuel the jedi's skill, it's speed was unrivaled, but because of its link with the dark side only two jedi ever mastered it and I think its very plausible that its innate connection to the dark side could make it very deadly against a sith even one as powerful as Darth Sidious.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #25
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

I do think that Palpatine meant to be disfigured, actually. Because he used to later to his advantage by using it as evidence of the assassination attempt on him and to draw pity from the Republic Senate. After hearing about the Jedi attacking him and seeing his disfigured face, the Senate relinquishes power to Palpatine and the Empire is formed. It was his plan all along

Besides, it was his own lightening that disfigured him. If he was being harmed by the lightening and did not want to be, he simply could have stopped emitting it. Clearly he wanted Anakin to think he was in danger and helpless, when clearly he really was not, due to his easy doing away with Mace.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
thekingofgondor
Sapling

I'm not positive whether Palpatine was feigning losing to Mace before Anakin came in, but I don't see the logic in it (not that much of the second half of that film had much to begin with) for Palps, since he pretty much knew he already had Anakin hook, line, and sinker with his whole "I can help you prevent death" pitch. Anakin had no misconceptions about who was "good" and who was "evil" - he was even the one to out Palpatine as a Sith Lord and wanted him arrested. However, he believed his being able to save his wife and unborn children hinged on Palpatine's help, and after Mace rebuked Anakin's plea to simply arrest Palpatine rather than kill him, Anakin decided saving his wife was worth selling his soul to the Devil, so to speak. Palpatine was still very powerful, so I would still have expected him to be able to make a quick recovery after taking a beating from Mace and finish him off quickly (which I think was to destroy any shot at Anakin making amends, since I'm sure at least some of the Jedi Council would have agreed that murdering the Chancellor of the Republic, Sith Lord or not, was against everything they stood for).

Seeing as Mace was counted among the best lightsaber duelists in the galaxy, if not *the* best, it wouldn't be implausable that he could have beaten Palpatine when Yoda could not. I'd imagine the fact that someone as wise as Yoda being completely fooled for so long and in such a devastating way probably crushed his spirit (not to mention the death of so many other Jedi, friends, and even children at the hand of one of their own star pupils) enough for Palpatine, who was probably at his most-confident with all he'd just accomplished, to defeat him. Prior to that, Palpatine was still "in hiding," trying to manipulate the galaxy from behind-the-scenes, and I'm sure there was enough chance for failure that he was still a bit nervous about something going wrong when he fought Mace.
thekingofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote