Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Naboo: Numenorean Architecture?

Just re-watched episodes 4, 5, 6, 1 & 2 - to introduce my boys to the Star Wars movies (they'll have to be older to watch epi 3).

Anyway - I was really struck by the architecture of Naboo - both the capital city and the 'summer palace' (or whatever it was) in the 'lake district'.

I started thinking - this could be what Numenor would look like, and maybe Osgiliath and Annuminas also. Possibly Pelargir and Umbar. It just struck me as something very like how the Numenoreans would build.

(what better place for this than a thread in a Star Wars forum of a Tolkien board)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Hmm...

Maybe Umbar, which could be a little more exotic.

I imagine Numenorean architecture to differ by region, just as in real-life Western art history. Gondor would be more Romanesque, Arnor more High Gothic, and Numenor itself would have been a mix, but far surpassing anything those on Middle Earth in the early Third Age could have imagined (unless they were of the earliest generations who came straight from there, of course ). This would apply to their uses of materials and color, as well. I'd expect to find Corinthian columns in Osgiliath and arched stained-glass windows in Annuminas, for example. Armenelos, though, would have had it all.

Umbar could have been an exotic mix of Romanesque with Eastern influences - more like Naboo.

ETA, i have to say here though that you think like me in this regard. Often unrelated things just hit me out of the blue as "That could be Numenorean".
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Last edited by Voronwen : 06-22-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote