Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2002, 04:50 AM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Casting Details: Age, Look,Height, Skills?

I don't know how far along this project is...but I have some questions as to what is required for the various parts.

Role of Gandalf: Age?
Role of Eowyn? Age? Look, Height?
Role of Arwen?
Aragorn?

Also: If someone is not EXACTLY like the part (i.e. the character is blonde and and the actress is a brunette....I suppose you could use a wig since stage is distant? )

This is where Hama can vent his casting thoughts

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:10 PM   #2
hama1
Elven Warrior

That is such a great post/question I am sorry I haven't responded sooner and I also wish I could lay my hands on the disc with the character descriptions from the read-through of the script.

As for Gandalf, my thinking is that he will probably be an actor in his 50's to perhaps at most, early sixties given the rigors of doing eight perfomances a week. He is written as a baritone though the quality of his voice is somewhat less important than other major characters.

Eowyn is definitely early to mid twenties, blond (either naturally or with a wig) tall, (minimum 5'10") and athletically built. The actress I am thinking of will be striking looking rather than "pretty" or "classically beautiful". A Broadway actress I would love to see in the part is Alice Ripley or perhaps the original actress from the musical "Contact" (No it is not an adaptation of the space movie) but I cannot think of her name as I type this.

Arwen is too small a character to really worry about.

As for Aragorn, I see him as older looking than the actor who portrays him in the movies, Vito ?????. He also has to be at least 6'2" to 6'4". He is written as a lyric baritone or baritenor able to sing a high B flat with power.

The human and elf characters will have to be portrayed by tall actors to create a sufficient illusion of height difference with the hobbits and Gimli.

Also, it might be of interest to some of you here that I intend to have the same actor portray Boromir and Faramir.

Guess that's about it for now. I hope my answers lead to more questions. I like this thread.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Since I am interested in auditioning for this role I would like to know what voice range Eowyn is?

Old 10-31-2002, 01:00 PM   #4
hama1
Elven Warrior

Eowyn is a belt soprano to High C. Basically if you can sing Fantine's songs from Les Miz you are tight there. "with His Words" has much the same feel as "I Dreamed a Dream."
Old 12-21-2002, 04:35 PM   #5
Mistabella
Hobbit

Type casting

I read your ideas about casting. Now, may I make it clear that I am not flaming you! I was just wondering if the casting stuff is definite. Voice range and also age, to some extent (it is hard for seventy-year old to perform eight times a week) are inflexible. Stuff about looks, however (Eowyn--blonde athlete) I think should be negotiable. It's the skills that count, and casting based on how someone's looks "fit" the part can be considered type casting. I am not accusing you of this or trying to be mean, cuz I know theater works this way sometimes. It is just that I am a musical theater fan and have been outcast more than once by someone who can't act because I'm too tall. One other thing--what are the voice ranges for Arwen and--more importantly--Galadriel?
Old 12-22-2002, 05:56 PM   #6
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
In the books, Galadriel is described as having a deep voice. Cate Blanchett, does not have a naturally deep voice, but she plays Galadriel extremely well. I don't know if the musical would follow the same format, but if it would, I suppose Galadriel would be cast as an alto 2 or possibly an alto 1. Arwen, like Hama said is too insignificant of a character to even worry about, but I would guess she'd be a soprano, comfortably. I would hope to see this musical performed, and being an actress, I would also hope to perform it someday.
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:14 AM   #7
hama1
Elven Warrior

For those who would care to, the script is on this site. Go to the main page and the link is to the right. I don't mean that as a put down. I am grateful for the thoughts and suggestions posted here. However...the whole visit to Lothlorien is cut out of the musical. Galadriel and Celeborn never actually appear. After seeing TTT i will never again apologize for a cit or change I make.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:35 PM   #8
Adrian Baggins
Frodo's lil sis HP LotR fan

Frodo needs a solo song! Why does Sam get one but not Frodo!? Frodo only gets a small part of his song solo.Definatally NOT FAIR!!!!
Owner of the 3 unknown rings

I LIKE HIEI!! LOOK AT MY AVITAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THAT IS!!

H. Hysterically cold
I. Insanely unhuman
E. Effortlessly mocking
I. Irresistabely hott

"You're a team player, a save-the-day superhero *pause* I hate people like you." ~Hiei
Adrian Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:40 AM   #9
hama1
Elven Warrior

Frodo has two very important duets. IMHO Sam is a stronger character, hence the solo. Also, in musicals what is sung about a character is often as or more important than what is sung BY a character.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I was thinking...how many extra/chorus characters do you plan on having? Because if possible at all, I would love to audition to be a hobbit. But I'm not a boy, so I could never do anyone from the fellowship. Are there any extras?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #11
hama1
Elven Warrior

For purely economic reasons, I envision a cast of 38 to perhaps as many as fifty. Most non-lead charatcers will double at least one other character and an Orc from one scene will be a guard at Edoras in another.

Don't give up your hopes. I would not be surprised if a hobbit or two were portrayed by female actors if only for consideration of relative height.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:42 PM   #12
coralied
Sapling

Treebeard Casting Choices

Yes Hama! In a way I have to agree with Mistabella...After being in a few Theatre productions where I have been cast as everything from ahippie in JC Superstar to the lead male role in The Model Student with adoring female fans in tow....Don't limit yourself to looks and age...Talent is everything....Makeup works wonders...and if someone seems too old for a part....The audience will never know unless they are a really old wrinkly as the lights and distance from the stage blur the finer details. Stick with talent and presence...makes up for closeup details that are lost on the stage....Those things only matter in movies.......

And yo never replied to my post about skiing in Vail mate

Coralie
coralied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM   #13
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

How close are you hama to really getting this off the ground?

Old 01-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #14
coralied
Sapling

Treebeard

Dear Hama,

Where are you mate? Give us an update please!!!!!!!!

Coralie
coralied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #15
Inwe Periannath
Sapling

Location: In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit.....too bad that I'm not one of them
Sam Gamgee Hello...I was wondering.....

Do you have any openings for a very short (5foot 1inch) girl?Maybe a hobbit? I don't have too much acting experience, but I played Adrian in Rocky in the school play, and my drama teacher said that I have better theater/musical skills than film skills....Well, if you need a very short female, I'm here.
E-mail me at :madi_1313@msn.com or foxxy_cleopatra_13@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!!!
Inwe Periannath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #16
IluvSmeagol13
Hobbit

does any1 know when auditions r?i've only been in one play,lesmiz,but i loved it!i'd love to be an extra!i'm around 5'2''...would they take kids for extras(female)?
IluvSmeagol13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:38 AM   #17
hama1
Elven Warrior

Coralied,

To be honest I have not made much progress. I have been doing some tinkering with the script but that is about it. I really need to get off my rusty dusty, get the demo done and push my agent to get a yea or nea out of the small group of producers big enough to bring this show to life. If anyone could send me a bottle of anti-procrastination pills I would be most grateful.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:55 PM   #18
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Hey, hama. I've been out of the loop for about, ohhh, a month or two, but I've read about the recent events. You're doing great! And anti-procrastination pills? Are you kidding? Just visit the site more often! With all the people poking, prodding, and begging for more info, I would think that would be enough motivation for anyone to hop to it!
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #19
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Baggins
Frodo needs a solo song! Why does Sam get one but not Frodo!? Frodo only gets a small part of his song solo.Definatally NOT FAIR!!!!
I have no idea, and you're right it's not fair that Sam gets a bigger part than Frodo
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #20
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

Arwen Undomiel Re: Casting Details: Age, Look,Height, Skills?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pippin Skywalker
I don't know how far along this project is...but I have some questions as to what is required for the various parts.

Role of Gandalf: Age?
Role of Eowyn? Age? Look, Height?
Role of Arwen?
Aragorn?

Also: If someone is not EXACTLY like the part (i.e. the character is blonde and and the actress is a brunette....I suppose you could use a wig since stage is distant? )

This is where Hama can vent his casting thoughts
Legoles: I am blue eyed, fair of hair, unlike the dwarf Gimili who is "big bad and the king of Khazzad."
- not quote from books or TTT movies.

PADFOOT LIVES!
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote