Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Question about Arwen & Glorfindel....

Ok I ran a search and didn't find this, so here goes.

I read elsewhere, don't remember where though, that Arwen and Glorfindel had a thing going, a relationship of sorts in the Second Age. Can anyone elaborate on this or say something for or against it? I am trying to find out, but I can't find any info on it again, so I am thinking it is false, but I just want to make sure....
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That is totally ridiculous. Arwen and Glorfindel both lived at Rivendell, and that's all. Arwen was in love with Aragorn.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok good thats what I thought, lol, just wanted to make sure
Old 01-06-2003, 12:18 AM   #4
Duddun
I Antha

That would be scary!!!! I haven't heard that either.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

Eep! I hope not! Glorfindel is MINE! Where did you hear that?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 04:29 AM   #6
DraztiK
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

Wasn't Arwen BORN in the THIRD age?

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

He had better not be having an affair with Arwen, He's married to Me! (No matter what Elf Girl says.)
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #8
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

I haven't heard that they did, but neither have I read much of Christopher Tolkien's published works.

My own favorite theory on Glorfindel is that he's a good "red herring" character, in terms of Arwen as well as the Three Rings.

At the feast to celebrate Frodo's recovery, he's described just before Elrond, while just after Elrond, Arwen is described for the first time. Nowhere is it explicitly stated or even hinted that they're an item, but it certainly seems natural, as he's a hunk and she is gorgeous, and there's Elrond in between them, who would certainly approve; yet then we later see Aragorn, dressed in Elvish mail, in Elrond's presence and standing next to Arwen in the Hall of Fire, talking with her. Hmmmm....

And during the Council, when Glóin asks about the Elven rings, saying, "Do not the Elf-lords keep them", Glorfindel, a certified Elf-lord, says quite definitely that "All the Elves are willing to endure this chance (that the Three would fade once the One was destroyed)...." One certainly is led to believe that Glorfindel has a Ring -- I did, anyway, until the end of the book, when we finally saw them on Galadriel, Elrond and Gandalf.

Just a thought....
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:05 PM   #9
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Arwen Undomiel

Do you think that Arwen and Glorfindel are relatives?
Old 01-16-2003, 01:19 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Do you think that Arwen and Glorfindel are relatives?
Hmmm. They all do seem to be related in one way or another. Even Aragorn and Arwen are related, and I don't mean through marriage.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-16-2003, 02:16 PM   #11
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Another question. Do you know which elf race Glorfindel is?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:43 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Another question. Do you know which elf race Glorfindel is?
Glorfindel is a Noldorin Elf, but there is some question as to which house he belonged. In LotRs, Tolkien says that Glorfindel has golden hair, and of the three royal lines of the Noldor, the only ones to have the golden hair of the Vanyar were of the house of Finarfin, but since Glorfindel lived in Gondolin in the FA, then it would seem that he may have been of the house of Fingolfin. But nomatter what house he was from, he was a Noldo.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 PM   #13
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
He had better not be having an affair with Arwen, He's married to Me! (No matter what Elf Girl says.)
He is not! We've been through this before, Glorfindel is MINE! He's betrothed to ME!

*cough* Um, right. I think it is highly improbable that they had a relationship in the second age, because, like DraztiK said, Arwen wasn't born until the third age.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:10 PM   #14
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

You're both wrong - Glorfindel is MINE! Mine I tell you - oh, hello Aragorn... Never mind me...
But Glorfi and Arwen? Ew! Glorf's too good for her. But would Elrond agree?
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #15
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

And I still cannot find where I read this, lol, oh well, I guess it was an unimportant place
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I thought the Glorfindel of Gondolin was another one. that would be only logical if you think of the fact that he died when he fought with a Balrog.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:15 PM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I thought the Glorfindel of Gondolin was another one. that would be only logical if you think of the fact that he died when he fought with a Balrog.
If you do a search you will find many threads that discuss this. Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell are the same person. After Glorfindel died in the FA, he was re-embodied and sent back to Middle-earth. He is the only Elf to ever return to Middle-earth after death. Also, Tolkien talks about the reuse of Elven names, and says that Glorfindel was such a striking name that it would only be used once.

Many will say that Luthien was another Elf that was permitted to return to Middle-earth after death. This is true, however, hers was a acceptional case and she returned as a mortal.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I didn't know that. I thought the one in Rivendell was a complete other elf. Of course I've heard of discussions if they were relatives, but not that they are the same person
Old 01-17-2003, 06:00 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't know that. I thought the one in Rivendell was a complete other elf. Of course I've heard of discussions if they were relatives, but not that they are the same person
Here is a quote from volume 12. The Peoples of Middle-earth, the HoMe series.

Quote:
The Elves were destined to be by nature "immortal", within the unknown limits of the life of the Earth as a habitable realm, and their disembodiment was a grievous thing. It was the duty; therefore of the Valar to restore them, if they were slain, to incarnate life, if they desired it-unless for some grave (and rare) reason: such as deeds of great evil, or any works of malice of which they remained obdurately unrepentant. When they were re-embodied they could remain in Valinor, or return to Middle-earth if their home had been there. We can therefore reasonably suppose that Glorfindel, after the purging or forgiveness of his part in the rebellion of the Noldor, was released from Mandos and became himself again, but remained in the Blessed Realm - for Gondolin was destroyed and all or most of his kin had perished. We can thus understand why he seems so powerful a figure and almost "angelic" . For he had returned to the primitive innocence of the Firstborn, and had then lived among those Elves who had never rebelled, and in the companionship of the Maiar for ages: from the last years of the First Age, through the Second Age, to the end of the first millennium of the Third Age: before he returned to Middle-earth. It is indeed probable that he had in Valinor already become a friend and follower of Olorin. Even in the brief glimpses of him given in the Lord Of The Rings he appears as specially concerned for Gandalf, and was one (the most powerful, it would seem) of those sent out from Rivendell when the disquieting news reached Elrond that Gandalf had never reappeared to guide or protect the Ring-bearer.
This is an exact quote from Tolkien in an essay on Glorfindel.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2003, 06:05 PM   #20
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Which chapter of PoME is it in?