Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

My book

Hello, I don´t know if this is the best place for this thread, move it if necessary. Anyway, I´m writing a fantasy novel... No, that was too optimistic... I´m trying to write one. And I´m creating a brand new language. I should like to hear comments and have help creating it. One purpose of it is "restoring" some lost things: didn´t Tolkien write somewhere in LOTR about beauty that could not be described with the languages of Men? Well, I´m going to make up an impression for that "undescribable beauty" and such things. The only thing that I´m telling about the book itself is that fear is going to be an important element.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Moved to Writer's Workshop, as that forum is better suited for writing endeavours.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Sounds very cool. Do share what you've got; I'd love to read some.

I started writing my own fantasy novel (I wonder if there is a Tolkien fan who hasn't?) a few years ago--alas, writer's block (I've written myself into a bit of a corner), and other projects keep me from really pursuing it--and I also had a bit of a 'language-creating' going on there (feeble attempts at best, though).
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Beren One-Hand
Elven Warrior

I would like to hear more about it.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren One-Hand
I would like to hear more about it.
As you wish. I´m trying to make the language´s words sound like what they mean, in other words, when you hear the word, you should start thinking something like its meaning. Naturally, this is extremely difficult since everyone has different way of thinking... But I won´t give up.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

That sounds soo neat. Good luck

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord
As you wish. I´m trying to make the language´s words sound like what they mean, in other words, when you hear the word, you should start thinking something like its meaning. Naturally, this is extremely difficult since everyone has different way of thinking... But I won´t give up.
That is awesome, although it sounds very hard. Are you into linguistics at all? Because that'll help you out enormously.

Check out this site-it's got mounds of information!
http://www.zompist.com/kitlong.html#sounds
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Noble Elf Lord

Thanks everyone. What do you exactly mean by linguistics? I´m good at languages, especially English. And I remember my parents telling me that when we were in Israel I heard people talk English, Hebrew, Arabics, Russia and such, and I asked what are those languages and I wanted to learn them. (I was about 3 ½ years old.) They say I also learned to write during that time. It´s also in my blood, for my Mom is good at languages too. I´ve also created some grammar for that book.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
The only thing that I´m telling about the book itself is that fear is going to be an important element.
And so, I´d ask you to do me a favor. Those who can, could post pictures on this thread, showing nightmarish creatures, I mean really scary, not those cute little dragons or demons you see everywhere. And I would prefer if you drew them yourselves, perhaps inspired by your old nightmares. I´d choose the most scary ones and described them in my book. Or use your imagination and create completely new horrors from the deep unknown pits of your mind. Thank you already.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Linguistics is the study of language. That is, the sounds, grammars, and defining aspects of what human language is. It isn't the same as leanring any one language, though the two are linked and if you study linguistics you are certainly going to end up knowing more than one language in some way or another.

It's very useful if you intend to make up fictional languages. Regarding yours, are you working on a language which is supposed to be spoken by human characters or does it belong to a different species?

I ask because one of the primary factors that differentiates human languages from communication systems used by animals is that the relationship between our words and their meanings is largely arbitrary, they don't sound like the thing they refer to.

I'd be very interested to see the grammar you've created so far, or a list of the sounds you use most often.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran
Linguistics is the study of language. That is, the sounds, grammars, and defining aspects of what human language is. It isn't the same as leanring any one language, though the two are linked and if you study linguistics you are certainly going to end up knowing more than one language in some way or another.

It's very useful if you intend to make up fictional languages. Regarding yours, are you working on a language which is supposed to be spoken by human characters or does it belong to a different species?

I ask because one of the primary factors that differentiates human languages from communication systems used by animals is that the relationship between our words and their meanings is largely arbitrary, they don't sound like the thing they refer to.

I'd be very interested to see the grammar you've created so far, or a list of the sounds you use most often.
(To Rosie) If you wish to read the story so far, I´m afraid you have to wait for a while: it´s in Finnish only at the moment, and even though there are only 8 pages yet, the tranliteration would be quite a feat, even though I am gifted.

Willow, thank you ´bout explaining linguistics. The languge is supposed to work both as a beautiful language and also as the languge of magic. Haven´t really thought about its history yet. The grammar? Got to dig it up, and perhaps make more verbs to play with. Thus far, I only have the verbs for "being" and "heating up"... OK, I tell the first one: Mvyhir. ..... I feel stupid now.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
I feel stupid now.
I applaud you for your creativity. An active mind knows no bounds.

PS: I know just how you feel, but it takes guts to put your ideas in front of others so be proud that you did so...
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I too am trying to write a fantasy novel. Originally I was going to tell you, hey if you're writing a book then you are doing it, not trying. But I am writing a book, and the manuscript is progressing about as fast as molasses in Rovaniemi in midwinter, so I know what you mean when you say you're trying to write a book.

I wish you all the best of luck. May I add that Finland is awesome.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 06-02-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I too am trying to write a fantasy novel. Originally I was going to tell you, hey if you're writing a book then you are doing it, not trying. But I am writing a book, and the manuscript is progressing about as fast as molasses in Rovaniemi in midwinter, so I know what you mean when you say you're trying to write a book.

I wish you all the best of luck. May I add that Finland is awesome.
We live and learn... Yep writing is not so easy. Thank you, and good luck in return.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
And so, I´d ask you to do me a favor. Those who can, could post pictures on this thread, showing nightmarish creatures, I mean really scary, not those cute little dragons or demons you see everywhere. And I would prefer if you drew them yourselves, perhaps inspired by your old nightmares. I´d choose the most scary ones and described them in my book. Or use your imagination and create completely new horrors from the deep unknown pits of your mind. Thank you already.
You´ll get your (user)names in the book, naturally, with great "thanks".
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
Acalewia

I'll probably be reading your book and going "now where have I heard that name before?"

How's the book coming btw

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #17
Noble Elf Lord

The book is doing pretty well, thank you. I have some 8 (A4) pages written, and I´m having a "writing season" (=inspiration). Would you like me to translate them in English and send to you? I´d like to hear your opinion.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
Acalewia

I'd like that. Sounds great.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
Noble Elf Lord

Great, I´ll send it as soon as I can. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
Acalewia

Whenever you can. There's no rush.

Unlike this stupid rule