Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #1
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Padme Amidala or Leia

Which of these two characters - mother and daughter - do you think is the stronger one?
Old 03-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Re: Padme Amidala or Leia

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Which of these two characters - mother and daughter - do you think is the stronger one?
Definitely Leia. But holding Padme's youth (in the first and second ep:s) against her wouldn't be sporting I guess.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Leia, almost certainly. I say almost because they both have true kick-@$$ ability. Man, it's wierd thinking of them as mother and daughter! I nver really thought about it, I guess. *shrugs* Later.....
Old 03-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #4
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I noticed the resemblence immediately- first time I saw the movie. That was one of the things I loved most about Episode 2. Also there is a resemblence in character between Anakin and Luke. They have some of the same basic qualities, only as they grew up, they transformed in different ways. The starters are there for both of them, from the beginning. Also Luke was humble because of the way he grew up- something Anakin was totally different from him in.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
I noticed the resemblence immediately- first time I saw the movie. That was one of the things I loved most about Episode 2. Also there is a resemblence in character between Anakin and Luke. They have some of the same basic qualities, only as they grew up, they transformed in different ways. The starters are there for both of them, from the beginning. Also Luke was humble because of the way he grew up- something Anakin was totally different from him in.
yeah, i see it now, thanx! especially that about anakin and luke.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I wrote an essay which is a defense for Anakin and Padmé's relationship, I just haven't posted it here because of fear that someone might steal it and use it . But I really didn't say what the similarities were in that post, I just asserted that they existed. I'm glad you can see them now, though .

It's rather fun that in Empire Strikes Back, even Yoda recognizes the similarity between Luke and his father. "Like his father," he muttered, if you recall (Which I'm sure you do ).
Old 03-16-2003, 07:10 AM   #7
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Another resemblance between Anakin and Luke: They war far to old to start becoming a Jedi.

As this Anakin/Luke things is off-topic, I wonder if we shouldn't start a Anakin/Luke thread. Or is there already one?
Old 03-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Since Padme and Leia, and Anakin and Luke and Han Solo all figure into the equation, maybe we should make a thread that includes discussion and comparison between all these characters.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #9
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Since Padme and Leia, and Anakin and Luke and Han Solo all figure into the equation, maybe we should make a thread that includes discussion and comparison between all these characters.
Oh, please don't mention Han Solo! I never liked him. I kinda always wanted Luke and Leia to be together (maybe that's why I also like Nienor and Túrin).
Old 03-18-2003, 01:38 AM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

o.O

Okaaaay...

Personally, I must say I disagree with you. Luke and Leia do fit well together, but they can do that fine and be brother and sister.

P. S. I do like your name. If I ever have a daughter, I'd love to name her that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:25 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Oh, please don't mention Han Solo! I never liked him. I kinda always wanted Luke and Leia to be together (maybe that's why I also like Nienor and Túrin).
Now that's an opinion I'm surprised to hear . People hating Anakin yes, but people disliking Han Solo???? Surprise!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:58 AM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Now that's an opinion I'm surprised to hear . People hating Anakin yes, but people disliking Han Solo???? Surprise!
I don't understand it either. My mind oft goes strange ways. I guess it's because of his arrogance in the beginning - when he meets Leia and she tells him that she loves him and he says "I know". Horrible.
Quote:
Personally, I must say I disagree with you. Luke and Leia do fit well together, but they can do that fine and be brother and sister.
Yeah, that's the problem with it. Like I said, it's just like between Nienor and Turin, everybody thinks they fit together, but everybody also knows that it isn't possible.
Quote:
P. S. I do like your name. If I ever have a daughter, I'd love to name her that.
Guess why I chose this name? When I'm gonna have a daughter in future, I'll name her Lalaith.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:03 AM   #13
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
I don't understand it either. My mind oft goes strange ways. I guess it's because of his arrogance in the beginning - when he meets Leia and she tells him that she loves him and he says "I know".
So you think Han Solo is arrogant, eh? *drawing parallels to why you don't like Aragorn*

Quote:
Guess why I chose this name? When I'm gonna have a daughter in future, I'll name her Lalaith.
Are names that come from Tolkien's world fully acceptable? Are there people who are named after various characters from Tolkien's books?

Well, to stay on the subject, I think that Leia is stronger than Padme. In fact I believe all of the main characters from episode 4 to 6 are stronger than those from episode 1 to 3 (maybe with the exception of Yoda, his younger self was probably more vigorous than his older self ).
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:12 AM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
So you think Han Solo is arrogant, eh? *drawing parallels to why you don't like Aragorn*
Hmm, yeah, what can I say? But I like Aragorn better than Han Solo.

Quote:
Are names that come from Tolkien's world fully acceptable? Are there people who are named after various characters from Tolkien's books?
It wouldn't be allowed in Austria. You have to pick "legal" names.

Quote:
Well, to stay on the subject, I think that Leia is stronger than Padme.
But they were both good fighters. (I know that Padme is, and I guess that Leia was, too)
Old 03-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #15
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Han Solo is my favorite character in SW.
My fave SW books are "The Han Solo Trilogy"
by A.C. Crispin. A recomended read for everyone but you, Lalaith!
And Aragorn is even cooler! *points at sig*
Old 03-20-2003, 01:09 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

There are actually SW books? I know one and this is "Attac of the Clones". I saw it in the book store and read the last page. I didn't intend to, but it just happend. And ha, it was before I saw the movie. So I knew that they would get married. That spoilt the movie.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Great, now you've spoilt the movie for anyone who accidently reads your post and hasn't seen the movie
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:32 AM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Sorry, didn't think of that.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:37 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I guess it's because of his arrogance in the beginning - when he meets Leia and she tells him that she loves him and he says "I know". Horrible.
Yeah, but how can you believe that he doesn't love her back? He doesn't have to say the words to mean it: and it's very clear from the expression on his face that he DOES love her. I'm sorry, but that's one of my favourite scenes, and I'm glad that they didn't screw it up by making it soppy. And it was in character for him to saying "I know" rather than "I love you."
Old 03-21-2003, 03:43 PM   #20
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
There are actually SW books?
Of course there are! The Correlian Trilogy, The Han Solo Trilogy, The Crystal Star, The Courtship Of Princess Leia, The Phantom Menace, The X-Wing Trilogy..... Need I go on?
BoP, that's one of my favorite scenes too! Han Solo is my favorite character. He's cool.