Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-19-2002, 02:51 PM   #41
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Shmi death seems a tad strange?

Did her husband think she was dead?

Why did the sand people keep her alive?

Isn't it odd she would die as soon as ani got there?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:57 PM   #42
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Shmi's death was very poignant. It's one of the best scenes in the movie.

She had disappeared for over a month, before Anni turned up, so yes, hubby thought she was dead.

And yes, it WAS a plot device that she died pretty much immediately. BUT, maybe she has a little bit of the force in her or something, and that kept her alive 'til Anni showed up.

It was a $#@!ing brillilant scene though! It's my favourite part of the movie... that and the Yoda fight.

And who knows why the tuscan raiders kept her alive?
Old 05-19-2002, 02:57 PM   #43
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Mine ramblings:
Shmi could be a special clone that Sidius could have "placed" there to help Ani get over his first few steps towards the dark side.

BTW, I just noticed that Jango said his recruiter was a Lord Tyrranus. I first thought he said Taranas. It was Dooku all along! What remains to be known is who is this Cipher Diaz who went to Kamino about 10 yrs prior to Ep. II.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 05-19-2002 at 03:02 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 03:45 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
It was Dooku all along!
Hey... I missheard that! What a surprise that is.... Geez.
Thanks for pointing it out, Arathorn. It makes a little more sense now...

Quote:
What remains to be known is who is this Cipher Diaz who went to Kamino about 10 yrs prior to Ep. II.
At the same time as the machinations on Naboo...
Old 05-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #45
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Interesting that we still haven't found out who Anakin's father is. I wonder if we're going to find out in Ep 3. It seems like a rather big gap to leave out. I was also wondering: could it be Sidious? heh heh. That would explain why Anakin went to the dark side so easily... <grin>

"Anakin, I am your father."
"Nooooooooooooooooooo.....!"

If I'm right, you saw it here first!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-19-2002 at 05:04 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #46
gdl96
the greg the admin

IP:

First of all, looks like a nice review you have going, and I agree with a good number of your positives and negatives.

But what do you mean by the expanded universe just got a trashing?

Also, Jar Jar I thought was used much better here than in Episode I...he was actually important. And I agree with you especially on the scene where Anakin tell Padme on Tatooine about how he killed them...etc, and the scene with Anakin and Padme before they enter the arena. The Tatooine scene is where Darth Vader emerges for the first time, showing what Anakin is capable of, and giving a glimpse of what will come. And before they enter the arena was probably the best part of the whole romance plot...it worked, and it was a lot like the carbonite scene in ESB.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 06:27 PM   #47
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

In the "I slaughtered them all" scene, which I really liked, I agree that it was one of the better scenes, etc. I would have done it slightly differently though. I would have had Anakin's voice, and expression, completely emotionless until he says. "I hate them!" or whatever that line was. . .must see again. . .but anyway, I thought it would have been more effective. But it was still good.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:55 PM   #48
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Of the romance sequences, the one I did not like was when Padme was still packing for Naboo (I just chose to call it romance because it involved only the lovers; their first time alone).

Hayden, I felt, was too abrupt in his mood swing towards Obi Wan or at least too loud. I would've made him sound more like he's wimpering than angry right away; especially since he starts off talking about Jedi virtues he believes in.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:29 AM   #49
Eruviel Greenleaf

In that scene I was wondering why he was whining like that to Senator Amidala, and why she was actually listening to him! But of course, that just goes back to wondering what she saw in him! But yeah, he's very loud and angry, though whiney isn't necessarily better. But that kid just annoys me anyway. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-18-2002, 03:04 PM   #50
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Impression of ST:ATOC

Overall I liked the movie.

It was much better then ST:TPM. (I guess that is not saying too much.)

The beginning and ending were well paced, IMO.
The romantic "Sound of Music" scenes were a bit slow paced for my liking, but I thought The Queen and Anakin acted the role given well enough.

My biggest complaint about the film is the treatment of Anakin's mother.

Since there is a ten year gap between TPM and AOTC one would think that someone (either the Jedi council or Queen Amadala) out of gratitude for what Anakin did to free Naboo would get his mom out of slavery and reunite mother and son.

Maybe this is ultimately why Anakin turned to the Dark Side.

This just seems to be a cheap ploy to move the trip towards the Dark Side for Anakin.

3CPO's comic lines was a bit much For my tastes and I think the movie would have went fine without it.

The Jedi Philosphy (?) of being against love/attachment seems annoying at best. I do not know. Maybe if the reasoning behind it was better explained in the movie.

Lack of Sufficient "Republic" troops to enforce the Will of the Republic and defend the republic against external/internal threats. I may be a bit harsh here since I am not completely sure about the internal workings of the Republic and how it stayed together for about 1,000 years (this is how long I have heard that the Republic was togerther)

I did not completely like the Boba Fett origin story since it contradicted some of the novels I have read and I liked the books history of Fett better. It does not mean that the book is necessarily incompatable with the movie, but it does raise the question of the rest of Boba Fett's upbringing. (He appeared to be about 8-10 in the movie).

I liked:
the Yoda sword play.
The Kenobi character. Too bad didn't get more lines.
Count Dooku.
Jango fett scenes.
The manipulation of events/people by Palpatine.
Jar jar gets to have a role in the downfall of the Republic. Kind of fitting in a way.
The scenes of the Naboo retreat. (I saw a special on Northern Italy a week before seeing ST:AOTC so it was nice to see and recognize Lake Como in the Film)
The Musical score and special effects

These are just some of my impressions of the film. Again overall I liked it, but there were certain areas that I found vexing.

As a side note One comment about Star Wars that I found funny.

In SW:TPM it is stated that Anakin is too old for training, but ST: original trilogy it is ok to train Luke when he is about 18-20yrs old

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 06-19-2002 at 01:13 AM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:20 PM   #51
mrcool
Hobbit

good it was...bad it wasn't...
-don't ask...
mrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:14 AM   #52
elendili
Elven Warrior

I thought that the start was a bit slow but ince it got going it was a good film I especially liked the arena scene with all the jedi in it.

The romantic scenes were tiresome but i guess they were necessary 4 the whole luke and leia kids to exist.

I couldn't stop laughing when Joda was fighting Dooku it was so funny the way he walked in hobbling and ended up doing somersaults in the air with a lightsaber.

Obi-wan was funny especially his little one liners all together I thought it ws much better than the phantom menace although it would have been better with more sith jedi fights.

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:43 PM   #53
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I don't know if I liked it....

The whole forbidden romance just killed the movie, especially since Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen (?) had absolitely no chemestry. And when they're getting taken into the big fight scene and she's like "I die a little more each day.." talk about a mood killer, a battle field is no place for romance.

A lot of the dialouge was very cheesy, and when C-3PO's head was getting dragged around and he had the line "this is a drag" it became down right horrible.

But Yoda's fight scene rocked and it was a whole lot better than the Phantom Menace. (That little kid that played Anakin bothered me) I really think that Obi-Wan should have been given more lines, he's probably the best actor after Christopher Lee, that the movie had in it.

It looks like my Favorite Star Wars episode is still The Empire Strikes back!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:14 PM   #54
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Rei
...especially since Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen (?) had absolitely no chemestry.
Ah nuts. I have to agree with that.

*adds to list of grievances*

PS Dex's Diner Sux!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:43 PM   #55
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

PS Dex's Diner Sux!
To that I must agree. Neh.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:52 PM   #56
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

To that I must agree. Neh.
Somebody agrees with me! Oh the shock.... the shock... (Take that Olson)
Old 06-19-2002, 10:54 PM   #57
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
(Take that Olson)
Take what? Just because Dex's majesty is beyond your grasp, doesn't mean I look down on your opinion.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:59 PM   #58
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Take what? Just because Dex's majesty is beyond your grasp, doesn't mean I look down on your opinion.
Dex's majesty? Are we talking about the same bloated hands down pants butt crack showing alien?
Old 06-19-2002, 11:05 PM   #59
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:

Dex's majesty? Are we talking about the same bloated hands down pants butt crack showing alien?
Maybe he saw a different movie, eh?

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-19-2002, 11:08 PM   #60
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nah. He's just delusional... Must be all those multiple personalities, eh? *evil look*