Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2002, 11:44 AM   #21
Faramir
Elven Warrior

WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID GRIPES?! I DON'T! BEST MOVIE!
FLAWLESS! O.K., sorry. But it was great! The love scenes were fine! The movie was great! Did you know Dooku is Christopher Lee, a.k.a. Saruman? Rocked! Yoda is du master! He was AMAZING! I'll see it as many times as I can. Didn;t like the Moulin Rouge inspired nightclub though, only gripe. It was the best! By the way, the girl bounty-hunter that got killed by Jango Fett's name is Zam Wessel. I don't care about your gripes because I loved it! YODA!!! ROCKS!!!
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #22
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I saw it for the FOURTH TIME 4 hrs ago since I first viewed it 00:01 thursday morning. I still can't get enough of it. I might break my own 9-sittings record for FOTR!!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:34 PM   #23
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I saw it for the FOURTH TIME 4 hrs ago since I first viewed it 00:01 thursday morning. I still can't get enough of it. I might break my own 9-sittings record for FOTR!!
*quivers in jealosy*
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:55 PM   #24
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think movies are a little cheap here. They're worth about the equivalent of 1.60 USD for premium seats and the THX cinemas allow you to get in for around 2.40 to 2.50 USD

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-18-2002, 04:15 PM   #25
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I think movies are a little cheap here. They're worth about the equivalent of 1.60 USD for premium seats and the THX cinemas allow you to get in for around 2.40 to 2.50 USD

right i forgot that is one advantage to seeing it thailand for me. It will be dirt cheap

just hope its still playing when I get there

The Mace Windu / Jango Fett fight seemed short. Windu had some help from a beast (accidental); then when Mace was charging, Jango couldn't do anything since all his energy gun shots were easily parried by Mace's lightsabre and then he got beheaded.

couldn't jango use his jet pack to escape?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 04:21 PM   #26
olsonm
Elf Lord

It got damaged by the beast.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:03 PM   #27
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

thanks

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-18-2002, 08:11 PM   #28
azalea
Long lost mooter

My review:
It was an excellent movie.

I happen to be a fan of romance as well as action, so I wasn't bothered by the romance. (Actually my husband looks like an older Hayden. Wish I looked like Natalie Portman!) Anyway, the romance was necessary -- they couldn't just make it a wham bam type thing, and they had to establish a relationship before they have the characters marry!

There was a lot of info to absorb and process very quickly, especially in a crowded theater with kids jumping around and creaky seats. I can't wait to rent it at home -- I like to stop and rewind, and have a front row seat without neck strain. So until then, maybe Arathorn can answer some of my questions since he's seen it 4 (?) times!

Count Dooku = Jedi ? they talked about on the Cloner planet? Who is Count Dooku? He is a sith now, he took Darth Maul's place? The apprentice of Darth Sidious aka the Emperor aka the Chancellor? Was Jango lying when he said he was hired by so and so (not the Jedi)? Who then really did order the army? Was it a secret Jedi plan, or was it the enemy's plan and the Jedi stole them? I was confused about that -- I'm sorry if this makes me sound clueless! Please explain!

Bottom line: A great movie with plenty of action, but you must pay very close attantion to catch some of the details!

Oh and R2D2 rules too! (I also forgot, was he always Padme's droid?)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Count Dooku = Jedi ? they talked about on the Cloner planet? Who is Count Dooku? He is a sith now, he took Darth Maul's place? The apprentice of Darth Sidious aka the Emperor aka the Chancellor?
The implication is that he WAS a jedi on the council (Qui Gonn was his padawan, and he himself was Yoda's padawan. Interesting link going on there: Yoda-> Dooku -> Qui Gon -> Obi Wan -> Anakin -> Sidious...) Also, he is playing off both the separatists (trade federation etc) AND the senate/republic (clone army), under his master, Darth Sidious. The reason, we do not yet know.

Quote:
Was Jango lying when he said he was hired by so and so (not the Jedi)? Who then really did order the army? Was it a secret Jedi plan, or was it the enemy's plan and the Jedi stole them?
We don't know just yet who okayed the clone army creation. As far as I am aware, it is that jedi who has been dead for almost 10 years (around the time of Phantom Menace.) In all probability it is part of Sidious' machinations. BUT we don't know.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-18-2002 at 08:23 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:34 PM   #30
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
The implication is that he WAS a jedi on the council (Qui Gonn was his padawan, and he himself was Yoda's padawan. Interesting link going on there: Yoda-> Dooku -> Qui Gon -> Obi Wan -> Anakin -> Sidious...)
COOL

makes me wanna rpg, to bad my gaming buddies back home are munchkins

which sucks for gaming SW and LOTR alas were art the mature serious gamers

i is there sometiming about dooku leaving the jedi 10 years before

that's the same time maul died

it keeps the master and servant ( only two)thing initiated by darth bane ages prior

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-18-2002, 08:37 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf

i is there sometiming about dooku leaving the jedi 10 years before

that's the same time maul died

it keeps the master and servant ( only two)thing initiated by darth bane ages prior
I'm not sure. Dooku's cover is that he is a wealthy person who left the jedi in ages past, sorta thing. I kinda got the idea that he left way before that.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:02 PM   #32
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thanks for the answers! I'm glad it's a "we don't know" type thing rather than a "I somehow missed it" thing!

Lucas is gonna have a lotta 'splainin' to do in Epi 3!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:06 PM   #33
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

is it mentioned WHY ani couldn't marry padme

is it a problem of marriage or sex

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-18-2002, 09:10 PM   #34
olsonm
Elf Lord

I think it had something to do with the fact that it might interfere with Anakin's duties as a Jedi.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:12 PM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
is it mentioned WHY ani couldn't marry padme

is it a problem of marriage or sex
A jedi is not really allowed to love. To love her is to live a lie, so to speak. It's similar to being a monk. (and look where that got them: a sign of Jedi stagnation?)
Old 05-18-2002, 09:44 PM   #36
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Chistopher lee is an older man how did his fight scence come off

was he more kenjutsu or more shaolin or more in the middle

for those of you not famaliar with martial arts

the question could be phrased

was he like alec guiness

darth maul

or luke, qui gon, obi wan (TPM)

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-18-2002, 09:49 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Put it this way: he walloped both Obi Wan AND Anakin at the same time! (remember how "special" Anakin is.)

Yoda kicked his a$$ though.

And Dooku can do that lightening sparky thing.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:50 PM   #38
olsonm
Elf Lord

Well, for part of the scene they put Lee's face on a stunt double's body so he moves pretty good.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:09 PM   #39
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

This is not very significant to the story but for Christopher Lee, it's funny how he plays a count once more.

Anyway, back to Count Dooku. it is not clear either, when he turns exactly. I also agree that it icould either be, Darth Sidius/Chancellor Palpatin, Count Dooku/Lord Tyrranus, Darth Maul, or even that dead Jedi Master Cipher Diaz (Zero Days?). The plot has indeed thickened due to Episode II.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 05-18-2002 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:12 PM   #40
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm currently working on the World's Longest Review of Attack of the Clones. It won't be done in quite a while.

But for the time being, I'll repost a summary of a couple thoughts that I posted on another forum... by the way, I loved the movie.

Quote:
Here's a quick summary of what I didn't like (given that I love the rest):

- The nightmare. The WORST part of the whole movie, one of the WORST parts in all Star Wars - and one that did not grow on me even after three viewings. The scene of the morning after does such a great job of conveying that Anakin had another nightmare about his mother that the shot before, bad enough already, was rendered useless. Totally dispensable, and totally unfair, given that we didn't get to see Natalie's nipple too.

- The love confession scene by the fireplace. It shows that Hayden, while an amazing physical actor in his expressions and actions, isn't top-notch in his delivery. And I wouldn't fault the dialogue - I thought it was good dialogue. And Natalie's reaction (backing away uncomfortably as he says, "The closer to you I am, the worse it gets") was a good nuance. And the scene does highlight how Anakin is controlled by his emotions, not the other way around. But it was still bordering on painful to sit through.

- The iris-in transition out of Anakin's Tusken massacre. The preceding scene was perhaps the most dramatically tense moment in the entire film - and it was cut off by a poor transition. A slow dissolve would have worked exceedingly well, particularly to emphasize that Yoda in the scene after was sensing the events at the same time.

- Jar Jar upon meeting Obi-Wan and Anakin. Worse than he ever was in TPM (you see, I didn't mind him in TPM).

- The only CG that consistently distracted me: Padme eating the pear. That looked downright fake - she obviously had nothing in her mouth after taking the bite. Besides that, I really had no problem with the CG in the movie, the many creatures included.

- "This party's over" and right after, "I don't think so." Okay, cool, but just too stereotypical melodramatic Samuel L. for my tastes. A friend of mine called him "Shaft Windu", though he took that positively... I didn't.

- Artoo's intrusion in the burial - the shift in tone was too abrupt.

- A good deal of how the score was edited. Listening to the soundtrack out of context, it was terrific, but in the film itself... two spots in particular stuck out: the reuse of the Gungan battle music in the Arena, and what the hell was Yoda's theme doing on the conveyor belt? The original stuff JW wrote - and it was great stuff - was largely underused. Although I praise how some certain moments, particularly action sequences, were left unscored - particularly the seismic charges sequence, and the fight with the three beasts in the arena.

Although I loved many things about the film, these were the ones that I will continue to treasure the most:

- The whole damn plot. Particularly Obi-Wan's side of the story.
- Dex's diner - a perfect scene. Just... perfect.
- The design of the Kaminoan and Geonosian cultures - the best concepts of "alien" cultures I have seen in Star Wars so far.
- The DEATH STAR. My favourite moment in the film.
- Anakin's reaction to Shmi's death. No dialogue, just the expression on his face, and swelling music to go along with the swelling pain and anger.
- The "I slaughtered them like animals" scene - the pinnacle of Hayden Christensen's performance, and along with the aforementioned death of his mother, the most emotionally convincing scene in the movie.
- The wedding at the end made me feel all tingly inside every single time I saw it. The entire ending of the film itself after the last line of dialogue is the best ending of all the episodes.
- The shot of Anakin and Padme entering the arena was reminiscent of Han descending into carbon freezing... also my favourite musical moment, with a cello-backed rendition of the love theme that reminded me of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- And speaking of crouching tigers and hidden dragons, the Yoda-Dooku duel... more the duel of telekinetic powers than with lightsabers, actually, but the entire sequence was an instant classic, proving once and for all that the ability to destroy a planet really is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
And best of all, the Expanded Universe just got a trashing!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote