Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2001, 09:19 PM   #41
X Rogue

Re: Favorite SW Character

Because Vader probably got "extended" in height when he got his suit, in order to loom over people. He's an intimidator.

I like Luke, Han, Yoda, Anakin/Vader, Ackbar, and the Emperor. (don't shoot)
Old 05-09-2001, 02:05 PM   #42
Lief Erikson

Re: Favorite SW Character

Actually Anakin's actor in Episode 2 is pretty tall as well.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:01 AM   #43
easterlinge

Re:

"Because Vader probably got "extended" in height when he got his suit, in order to loom over people. He's an intimidator."

Vader in platform shoes? :lol: Ooo I'm scared.

Old 05-10-2001, 06:33 PM   #44
X Rogue

Re: Re:

Woops, I meant longer legs, not platform shoes. I always visualized Vader as being mostly torso after that lava pit incident. Obviously he had at least ONE mechanical hand, so I was assuming he'd had the other hand off and maybe one or both feet as well. (or should that be, 'to boot') So if Vader was limbless, why not have his enviro suit made w/long legs in order to loom over the masses.
Old 05-10-2001, 06:37 PM   #45
Lief Erikson

Asondre Eborgava Donimasaltre

Old 05-14-2001, 08:25 AM   #46
easterlinge

Re: Asondre Eborgava Donimasaltre

What lava pit incident, Xrogue? I'd heard rumours about that oh, 15 years ago, but no one I knew could tell me how they know Anakin/Vader fell in. Could have been a red herring for all I knew.

Maybe Vader is like the Borg Queen, head and spine only preserved? "I use Head & Shoulders" :lol:

I believe some internal organs may have survived.

And what is "Asondre Eborgava Donimasaltre", Master Erikson? "Hello"?
Old 05-14-2001, 02:34 PM   #47
Lief Erikson

Basically. I just dislike dull titles for subject headings. Even if 'Asondre Eborgava Donimasaltre' doesn't mean anything, it certainly sounds a heap cooler then 'Hello'.

The lava pit thing is a battle which will happen between Obi-Wan-Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. Anakin loses and falls into the pit, which results in his need for the armor plating you see him with in the classic trilogy. However, this is entirely a theory. I'm not sure where it started, but doubt it'll happen. George Lucas doesn't allow himself to feel forced by things that happen in books or comics about Star Wars to follow what they say happened. He is completely changing Boba Fett from everything all of the books say about him, and I think that this theory began even before Episode 1 was released.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:59 PM   #48
X Rogue

What Lief said is basically what I heard about Darth's injuries in the lava pit. I'm not sure if it's canon and will be used by Lucas either. All I know is that there has to be some kind of explanation for the suit, etc. *shrugs* I guess the lava pit theory could be used, but I'm not at all sure how it got started.

And for all anyone knows, head and spine *is* all he had left inside that suit. All we saw at the end of ROTJ was his head, and from the battle scene, we can be sure Vader had one mechanical hand. However, there is some wiggle room in there, it just depends how Lucas wants to play it. I just hope it's nothing like that silly midi-chlorian theory.
Old 05-15-2001, 12:36 AM   #49
Lief Erikson

Oh, I rather seriously doubt that. Maybe Yoda will blow him away.
Old 05-15-2001, 12:25 PM   #50
X Rogue

Could be. But Yoda always suspected Anakin would be a problem, and would probably have been forced to make absolutely sure he'd killed Anakin in a battle. Yoda would have realized that if he left Anakin alive, Anakin would have done his best to wipe out the Jedi. And that is pretty much what happened. I know Vader wiped 'em out under Palpatine's orders, but it was to his own advantage as well, and Vader wasn't above twisting or manipulating Palpatine's directives to suit himself. Yoda and Obi-Wan both ended up hiding out at the ends of the galaxy, the only Jedi left. Obi-wan as Vader's duelist makes more sense, he trained Anakin and may not have had the heart to make sure he was dead. ( not that most people who get knocked into a lava pit end up crawling out of it anyway.) It's just that with Yoda's suspicions of Anakin, he would have risked life and limb if necessary to crawl after him and make sure Anakin was dead. JMHO
Old 05-15-2001, 01:33 PM   #51
Lief Erikson

That's probably true. Yes, I expect the duel to happen too, I'm just suggesting alternative possibilities.
Old 05-17-2001, 01:52 AM   #52
The Black Lieutenant

I don't know about you guys, but I actually wept when Darth Maul bit the dust.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:27 AM   #53
Lief Erikson

I think almost every person who has watched Star Wars agrees that Darth Maul's demise was ill timed. Certainly everyone I know. But it'll be interesting to see Darth Sidious fight Yoda. That's one thing I'm looking forward to.
Old 05-17-2001, 12:11 PM   #54
X Rogue

You, me and no doubt some other people as well. Yoda in a fight with anyone would be cool enough, w/ Sidious....... I'm gonna be glued to that. I loved the duel with Maul, and also thought it poorly timed. Never mind that he could have been so much more as a useful character, instead of being portrayed in such a one or two dimensional fashion. I mean, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during his training, or his discussions w/ Sidious, or even have loved to see him have a conversation with Qui-Gonn, or Yoda, instead of just seeing Maul swooping in for the kill (again). Why is there never good character exposition on the baddies? I didn't even think there was good character exposition on the good guys this time. And I *know* GL knows better than that. Yargh.
Old 05-17-2001, 01:09 PM   #55
The Black Lieutenant

I'm inclined to agree with you. Darth Maul's training would have been pretty interesting. As for his death, well, we all know he had to die at some point to make way for Darth Vader to become Sidious' new apprentice, but he could have at least survived until the second movie.
Old 05-17-2001, 01:28 PM   #56
Lief Erikson

Yes, I think he should have. I can't entirely agree with you two that his training would have been neat to see in this movie, but I certainly wish there were more scenes with Darth Maul. Preferably a few where he talked a little. Episode II would indeed have been a good one to finish him off in, I think.

It'll be interesting to see how Anakin meets Palpatine and gets involved with him. He might get turned to the dark side on first acquaintance, but I rather doubt it.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:52 PM   #57
X Rogue

I think a lot of people would have liked to see Maul last till the second movie. Face it, Palpatine hasn't declared himself yet, he needs an agent to move about and do things, and who better than Maul for a quick quiet job. Easy to send, reliable to the death, and trustworthy beyond all others. I know it would never have been possible, but oh, what I would not give to see a Maul/Vader or Maul/Luke duel. Whooo.

I would certainly have liked to hear more about the Sith/Jedi feud and get a feel for the history of both Orders. The first 3 movies had plots and character expostion galore. I loved those movies. I cared about the characters. I cannot watch Yoda or Ben die without crying. TPM, uh-uh. No such luck. I realize it was hyped too much, but this was way beyond that. I hope the next one is an improvement.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:11 PM   #58
Lief Erikson

Darth Maul is also a person who, if scene on the job, would raise a lot of questions. His features and choice of garb make him easy to identify, and I doubt he can go around altering every single person's mind that he meets. He's good for some jobs, but others . . . I think there are some assassins who would draw a lot less attention than Darth Maul.

I never cried about any of the characters dying and I think that all of the deaths in the classic trilogy were well placed and thought out. The characters in TPM weren't as well developed, although they were still likable. I think that in this next one, the scenes will be far more intense and it will be picking up more and more on the emotions of the different people. Particularly the romance between Amidala and Anakin.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:29 AM   #59
X Rogue

Quite true. I just thought TPM wasn't as good as the previous films, not that it was bad.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:38 AM   #60
Lief Erikson

Yes, that's what I thought. And that's how I feel too. The next two I think are likely to be a good deal better.