Actually I've always heard Han to say "Gundark"
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #62
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
Ok, two questions:

1. Who says Natalie Portman's acting was worse than Hayden Christenson's? There's some debate between a few of my friends....

2. Who's seen all six epidoses in a row so far? Now that I have them all at my house (except 3, of course) I'd like to try it this week sometime. (Exams? What 're ya talkin' about? I never heard about no exams...)

I don't have a problem with Chewbacca but we could've lived without him in there, I think. I think my biggest issue right now is the lava/magma planet. It's neat but hardly fit for living critters playing there.
Natalie portman si possibly the worst actress I've ever watched (wait, Keira Knightly comes close). Hayden Christensen is ALL RIGHT, its mostly the whiney tone he has all the time that messes him up.
But Padme! Golly! That scene that wanted to be so dramatic and wonderful turned out horrid! "Oh Ani! Golly Ani, they say you killed ugly ducklings!..Uh, I mean Younglings!" She's not just a bad actress (in those movies at least. I don't like her at all, but just to keep things fair I'll only criticize her Starwars stuff), she's a really bad amateur!
Otherwise the movie was great

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #63
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I wasn't particularly impressed, but it wasn't as horrid a movie as it could have been. I give it a 3/5.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #64
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Natalie portman si possibly the worst actress I've ever watched (wait, Keira Knightly comes close). Hayden Christensen is ALL RIGHT, its mostly the whiney tone he has all the time that messes him up.
But Padme! Golly! That scene that wanted to be so dramatic and wonderful turned out horrid! "Oh Ani! Golly Ani, they say you killed ugly ducklings!..Uh, I mean Younglings!" She's not just a bad actress (in those movies at least. I don't like her at all, but just to keep things fair I'll only criticize her Starwars stuff), she's a really bad amateur!
Otherwise the movie was great
Thanks for making me laugh. I really needed it.^^
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #65
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Haha! My dad who is serving overseas in the Army just sent home an illegal copy of Episode III on DvD! It's not the greatest quality of course but hey... i got Star Wars at home!

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #66
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Haha! My dad who is serving overseas in the Army just sent home an illegal copy of Episode III on DvD! It's not the greatest quality of course but hey... i got Star Wars at home!
What fun. Would you do something for me? See, one of my brothers is adamant that Yoda leaves in his ship for dagobah, and doesnt come back. I maintain that Yoda is having his little joke on the republic when he leaves, because after that he fights with the Emperor. It's all a question of where the Yoda-leaving scene is.

And thank you Katya, that was a little joke I made up after we finished watching the film.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #67
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The first time I watched the movie, I was just immersing myself in the characters, dialogue and emotional drama.

When I watched it again a couple days ago, I was listening more to the music and was looking at the sets. All of that background work on the movie is really amazing. It very, very much adds to the impact. The music during each of those scenes, and the special effects and glorious sets involved, was extremely effective.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #68
Lenya
Elentári

I loved the movie, going to see it again tomorrow I am really glad that Episode III is better than II - I didn't like the dialogue in Ep II. It would suck majorly if the last movie didn't match up to the first ones. I also felt that Anakin was better in this movie. He sucked in the second one!

Two things I loved about the movie:
- How Anakin turned to the Dark side. Darth Sidious planned it very good, very convincing and understandable.
- The manner in which Padme confronted Anakin and realized he has turned. It could very easily have been heavy cliché but it wasn't.

Stuff I didn't like:
- When Padme gave birth and the droid said she has lost her will to live. Du! That part should have been left out.
- Somewhere near the beginning, when a droid was sliced with a lightsaber (either by Anakin or Obi-Wan), it yelled "nooo" or something (sorry, can't remember). Why would a droid do that?

Oh, and I agree with Bombadillo that Grievous deserved more attention. I don't know if you saw the Clone Wars cartoons, but general Grievous rocked in it! He was so cool. In the movie he looked too weak, which I can understand due to his injury, but the people who haven't seen the cartoons will never know how cool he is/was. Sad thought.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #69
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

He was still pretty darn cool.

He wasn't the focus of the movie - that is a GOOD thing. Grievous had a nice bit.

The audience was wowed by his mutiple lightsabers. Remeber: He is injured already, he is just a bio-droid type thingy NOT a jedi, no jedi reflexes, Obi-Wan is VERY skilled with the lightsaber.

I wouldn't have wanted Grievous to have been in mroe of it - he was in it just the right amount.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #70
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
- The manner in which Padme confronted Anakin and realized he has turned. It could very easily have been heavy cliché but it wasn't.
I loved that whole scene, especially the shot of Obi-Wan standing in the doorway of the ship. That along with the fall of the jedi was my favourite scene.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 AM   #71
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

i didn't like the Padmee/Anakin dialoge n'such as much as the Obi-Wan/Anakin dialog after the fall of Padmee. The whole thing between Padmee and Anakin just seemed a little... under done and a little too dim, but then thats how Lucas writes. But the talk between Anakin and Obi-Wan is great, with the contrast of the last time they spoke to eachother, "May the force be with you my old friend..." to, "I will do what i must..."--"You will try!" I think the dynamic between Obi-Wan and Anakin is what made the whole movie!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #72
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
He was still pretty darn cool.

He wasn't the focus of the movie - that is a GOOD thing. Grievous had a nice bit.

The audience was wowed by his mutiple lightsabers. Remeber: He is injured already, he is just a bio-droid type thingy NOT a jedi, no jedi reflexes, Obi-Wan is VERY skilled with the lightsaber.

I wouldn't have wanted Grievous to have been in mroe of it - he was in it just the right amount.
Definitely agree. Grievous was fun, but more attention, unless another hour or two were added to the movie (which would be GREAT! ), would make him too much of a focus. The character development was the focus, and it was done brilliantly .

Obi-Wan was very impressive with the sabre in Episode 3, definitely. But then, ever since Episode 1 we always knew he was good . With all of his development in Episodes 2 and 3, I appreciate more his duel with Maul in Episode 1. Though it still would have been nice if Maul could have lasted longer . Oh well .

There were a couple bits of Obi-Wan's fighting in Episode 3 which I thought particularly interesting. In one of the bits where he's fighting with Anakin, he really speeds up. He's fighting for a moment in the kind of blurred super-speed way that Dooku does.

Then when he hits Grievous with his Force slam. That sends Grievous really far, the sort of thing Maul did to Obi-Wan in "The Phantom Menace". I really liked Obi-Wan's fight with Grievous. It made Obi-Wan look very cool, showing his talent in preparation for his climax with Anakin.
Quote:
I didn't like the dialogue in Ep II. It would suck majorly if the last movie didn't match up to the first ones. I also felt that Anakin was better in this movie. He sucked in the second one!
He was good in the second one. Hayden Christensen is a very good actor. The problem with Anakin in Episode 2 is that he's very immature. I found that realistic, though it made him a less wonderful hero then he could have been. He was much more mature in Episode 3. Strangely enough, in Episode 3 he seemed further from the Dark Side then he did in Episode 2. He was more in control of himself. However, the unpredictable side of him that Obi-Wan criticized in Episode 2 still was there.
Quote:
Two things I loved about the movie:
- How Anakin turned to the Dark side. Darth Sidious planned it very good, very convincing and understandable.
Definitely agree on those good points. I love those parts, very well done indeed .
Quote:
Stuff I didn't like:
- When Padme gave birth and the droid said she has lost her will to live. Du! That part should have been left out.
Not everyone is so quick witted as you. Me, for example. When that scene was first opening up, I was thinking "it would be really illogical if she died in child-birth now, when all of that advanced technology is available to keep her alive." Having the droid explain it was helpful to me.
Quote:
- Somewhere near the beginning, when a droid was sliced with a lightsaber (either by Anakin or Obi-Wan), it yelled "nooo" or something (sorry, can't remember). Why would a droid do that?
I think it said, "w-oh" as it was falling over. Very humorous . I love the humor of the battledroids in the prequal trilogy. I didn't care for the Episode 1 Jar Jar humor at all; he messed up some otherwise very cool scenes, and that was annoying, but the battledroids were great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
i didn't like the Padmee/Anakin dialoge n'such as much as the Obi-Wan/Anakin dialog after the fall of Padmee. The whole thing between Padmee and Anakin just seemed a little... under done and a little too dim, but then thats how Lucas writes. But the talk between Anakin and Obi-Wan is great, with the contrast of the last time they spoke to eachother, "May the force be with you my old friend..." to, "I will do what i must..."--"You will try!" I think the dynamic between Obi-Wan and Anakin is what made the whole movie!
I loved the dialogue and character development in Episode 3. Obi-Wan Kenobi is my favorite character of Episode 2, and I think he probably still retains that position in my esteem in Episode 3. I'm glad you liked that part, but the dialogue between Anakin and Padmé was wonderful too! And Obi-Wan and Padmé, when she learns of his turning to the Dark Side.

John Williams' music during this film was also completely amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain[/QUOTE
I loved that whole scene, especially the shot of Obi-Wan standing in the doorway of the ship. That along with the fall of the jedi was my favourite scene.
One thing one of my friends, an extreme Star Wars fanatic, and myself agreed on was that the movie really sped up in terms of how neat it was later on. Through some of the earlier parts, it was a fun action adventure. Later on though, things really, really got cool. I suppose it was after Palpatine revealed his identity to Anakin that all the scenes became more emotionally intense and powerful. That was a cool scene. I want to mark it from the point that Anakin turned to the Dark Side, but when I remember his confrontation with Palpatine and following decision making, I can't deny the power of those moments too. Even just music, lighting and setting were enough to really make that decision making part wonderful.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 06-16-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #73
Lenya
Elentári

I agree that Anakin was very immature in Episode II. It bothered me at the time (5 years ago, man! they made us wait long) but after Episode III I realized that if was quite fitting. Now I even like his character. Anakin is still immature, he never really grew up. Ever since he was taken away from his mother, he attached himself to someone - understandable at that age of course. But he still can't stand on his own, he needs to follow someone, and that's another reason why he accepted Darth Sisious so easily. He didn't have the jedi any more.

Coming back to the droids, one part that was really funny was when Anakin was hanging on to the side of the elevator shaft and the droids opened the door saying 'hands up Jedi'. That was good.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #74
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yeah. And the battle-droid saying "You're welcome," when Grievous snatches Obi-Wan and Anakin's lightsabers from him.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #75
Lenya
Elentári

*twists mouth slightly* That was a bit to humanish for me.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #76
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Thats the problem with the film, in the book it talks about the advancements in the droids AI, they had become smarter, more self reliant, and in a way more human.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #77
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
The first time I watched the movie, I was just immersing myself in the characters, dialogue and emotional drama.

When I watched it again a couple days ago, I was listening more to the music and was looking at the sets. All of that background work on the movie is really amazing. It very, very much adds to the impact. The music during each of those scenes, and the special effects and glorious sets involved, was extremely effective.
Yeah, the background work was pretty cool, and the music made the movie IMO. But I hated the set for the Ani/Obi fight. Maybe it was just me, but all I could think was "That's highly unlikely. Impracticle. Impossible." It was impressive computer skills, but crappy movie making IMHO. Besides, he used a droid factory full of molten metal before, and the similarity damaged the good impression that he was hoping for.

Quote:
Exactly. But I think I'll forgive him for that one, because, after all, look at C-3PO in the original trilogy.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:54 AM   #78
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Yeah, the background work was pretty cool, and the music made the movie IMO. But I hated the set for the Ani/Obi fight. Maybe it was just me, but all I could think was "That's highly unlikely. Impracticle. Impossible." It was impressive computer skills, but crappy movie making IMHO. Besides, he used a droid factory full of molten metal before, and the similarity damaged the good impression that he was hoping for.
The droid factory was quite different, IMO. I don't think it's exactly impracticle or impossible either to have that kind of set. On the contrary, I find it quite reasonable.

Scientists currently believe that our planet had a largely volcanic beginning. Massive rents tore apart the Earth's surface. Volcanoes and lakes of lava were commonplace. Precious ores that now are very rare would have been everywhere.

That creatures of advanced mining technology should create facilities on newly born planets such as these seems very logical to me.
Quote:
Exactly. But I think I'll forgive him for that one, because, after all, look at C-3PO in the original trilogy.
I think that the question of the intelligence and personalities of droids probably would be an interesting philosophical question in the Star Wars universe. Memory wiping should be a crime, IMO. Once they create a droid of a certain level of intelligence, it becomes its own entity. It gains its own character and personality. That concept is fleshed out in the books. But in the Star Wars movies they do sometimes treat the droids like robots rather then people. It's an interesting philosophical issue.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #79
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I somewhat agree with you. What annoyed me was how those floating little robots/rafts/whatever, on which they fought above the lava sea, moved exactly where they needed to go without any guidance or stearing. Sure, you could say they used the Force to move those thingies around, but on other occasions moving objects by Force took visible concentration or hand-waving which was (As far as I can still recall) absent now.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:28 AM   #80
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
The droid factory was quite different, IMO. I don't think it's exactly impracticle or impossible either to have that kind of set. On the contrary, I find it quite reasonable.

Scientists currently believe that our planet had a largely volcanic beginning. Massive rents tore apart the Earth's surface. Volcanoes and lakes of lava were commonplace. Precious ores that now are very rare would have been everywhere.

That creatures of advanced mining technology should create facilities on newly born planets such as these seems very logical to me.
But how nothing burned or melted down there was a puzzle. Of course, I could rationalize it with the "futuristic and un-heard-of technology" idea, but I'd rather not. It should appear plausible at first glance IMO, which is wierd, I know, because most other moviegoers are only interested in things seeming visually appealing at first glance. But I think Lucas was pushing it a bit with that set.

Quote:
I think that the question of the intelligence and personalities of droids probably would be an interesting philosophical question in the Star Wars universe. Memory wiping should be a crime, IMO. Once they create a droid of a certain level of intelligence, it becomes its own entity. It gains its own character and personality. That concept is fleshed out in the books. But in the Star Wars movies they do sometimes treat the droids like robots rather then people. It's an interesting philosophical issue.
That could be pretty contraversial. I like 3PO and R2, and their obviously characters with their own traits and whatnot, and that racist barkeep in Mos Eisley always made me feel bad for them. But do droids even understand the possibility of refusing to have their memories erased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I somewhat agree with you. What annoyed me was how those floating little robots/rafts/whatever, on which they fought above the lava sea, moved exactly where they needed to go without any guidance or stearing. Sure, you could say they used the Force to move those thingies around, but on other occasions moving objects by Force took visible concentration or hand-waving which was (As far as I can still recall) absent now.
At one point, I think Vader bombards Luke with some force-propelled items with both hands securely on his lightsaber. Then he throws a dresser-looking-thing through the window. I'm not actually sure if he does or doesn't but in any case, if that's possible, and I were a Jedi, I would be the coolest one around, with my hands folded behind my back at all times.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 07-10-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote