Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #81
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I've finally seen it! Woo.

It was alright. I give it credit for being miles better than 1 and 2. But I need to think about it for a while. Work out if they left any loose ends

My one thought immediately though, was why didn't they burst into flames when SO CLOSE to the lava pits. Hmm. I imagine many people have said this too but I haven't read the thread yet cos only just seen the movie.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #82
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
But how nothing burned or melted down there was a puzzle. Of course, I could rationalize it with the "futuristic and un-heard-of technology" idea, but I'd rather not. It should appear plausible at first glance IMO, which is wierd, I know, because most other moviegoers are only interested in things seeming visually appealing at first glance. But I think Lucas was pushing it a bit with that set.
There were forcefields up protecting the mining station. I didn't understand when I first watched the movie why all of a sudden everything started falling apart, while Anakin and Obi-Wan were fighting. On second viewing, I noticed a switch get thrown when they were fighting in the command station. Then the computer monitors showed the shields fading from the station. Things did burn and melt really, really fast after that. You saw it all collapsing.
Quote:
That could be pretty contraversial. I like 3PO and R2, and their obviously characters with their own traits and whatnot, and that racist barkeep in Mos Eisley always made me feel bad for them. But do droids even understand the possibility of refusing to have their memories erased?
I think so. C3-PO showed dismay at the idea of having his memory wiped in Episode 3. There is a Star Wars book available in which a bunch of droids revolt from their masters. I never read that one, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
I've finally seen it! Woo.

It was alright. I give it credit for being miles better than 1 and 2. But I need to think about it for a while. Work out if they left any loose ends

My one thought immediately though, was why didn't they burst into flames when SO CLOSE to the lava pits. Hmm. I imagine many people have said this too but I haven't read the thread yet cos only just seen the movie.
I'm glad you liked the movie . I've seen documentaries where people are nearby lava pits, and they've never come close to bursting to flames. Of course, the scenario in Episode 3 would have been a lot hotter than that, but I don't think it would certainly kill them just by proximity.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #83
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson

I'm glad you liked the movie . I've seen documentaries where people are nearby lava pits, and they've never come close to bursting to flames. Of course, the scenario in Episode 3 would have been a lot hotter than that, but I don't think it would certainly kill them just by proximity.
I do. If you think about volcanoes on this planet, yeah they're hot. You can go close to them if they're sort of bubbling but not exploding, but do you know how hot that is? Also, being by a lava pit isn't being near that much lava. You know if it touched you it'd burn right through you. Now imagine an entire volcanic planet as that was. The temperature from so much exposed magma would be incredible. If you looked at the end when Anakin was by the edge of the pit he burst into flames as he got near it. He wasn't touching it. So they're having a bit of a double standar there. Plus I reckon the fact there were only droids working there shows people/aliens couldn't.

When things get too hot they do burst into flames.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 07-25-2005, 12:27 AM   #84
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

In which part of the fight sequence do you think they got too close to the lava to survive?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-25-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:28 PM   #85
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
In which part of the fight sequence do you think they got too close to the lava to survive?
Well when they were flying on those hovering things they got about as close as Anakin did when he was by the edge of the pit when they were dodging the other things that were flying about. Still, I guess it doesn't matter. It's a film, and if we were going for realism then there would be many things wrong, like the force! So I'll shut up because it isn't important.

(And I've only seen it once! So might remember bits wrong, you never know)

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #86
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

The way i see it it was not only the actual lava that caused Vader to burn, not only was he near the lava but he was also laying flat against extremely hot... sand or rocks or whatever! When Obi-Wan and Vader were on the machines above the lava you can see that there is some kind of field around the machines... obviously those machines would have melted as well if it weren't for those fields. So as i see it those little fields kind of prevented the heat from affecting them. Also it can be easily noticed that the heat and fires do affect them; burnt robes, almost singed hair... Obi-wan's face especially. Anyways... i think also when Vader burned it was not only the literal heat but also his hatred... the dark side of the force consuming him... that moment is the first time he says i hate you! Telling Obi-wan he hates him, a man that was like a father to him... his hate burned him!

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #87
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
At one point, I think Vader bombards Luke with some force-propelled items with both hands securely on his lightsaber. Then he throws a dresser-looking-thing through the window. I'm not actually sure if he does or doesn't but in any case, if that's possible, and I were a Jedi, I would be the coolest one around, with my hands folded behind my back at all times.
I think some hand-waving or at least looking in the direction of the soon-to-be-thrown-about-object was involved. But to tell you the truth, it's been a while since I saw that film so the memory may be muddled. So I can't be certain (although, in effort to remain my stubborn self, I will not resign my point and opinion until I have seen clear proof of the opposite ). Those little flying rafts they stand on still move too fluid and too complicated IMO.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #88
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Vader wasn't looking, as far as I remember. Certainly there was no hand waving. However, let's look to a better example. Luke Skywalker captured by the Ewoks lifts C3-PO into the air with his eyes closed, and his hands tied up.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:09 AM   #89
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Manipulation of the force by my understanding requires no hand movement or eye contact. As Lief pointed out with Luke being able to lift C3PO with eyes shut and hands tied. The purpose of the hand movements and such is simply for direction. Like Gandalfs staff or something... it's not neccassary but helps a lot. Also use of hand movements and whatever probably helps the type of force manipulation, like a force push from force lightning. As far as the scean with Vader and Luke i may be wrong but i believe he has one free hand manipulatingthe objects in the room...

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:10 AM   #90
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Okay, that's indeed a better example. However you could still clearly see he concentrated visibly to lift 3PO and the chair, which IMO was absent in the final fight in RotS.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #91
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Those things were already supported by repulsorlifts. It wasn't necessary to hold them in the air, merely to guide them. Luke didn't show that much effort when guiding his X-Wing through the Death Star trench either.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #92
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
I finely saw it and the start left me laph(liph? laf? lahf? I can't spell!!!)ing, the middle left me intent, and the end left my digestive sistem in a knot

P.S.
It's been a while sence I posted in spoilers
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #93
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

I happen to think Revenge of the Sith is the best movie of all the six. The descent into darkness and the acting by Ewan McGregor coupled with the best fight scenes in all of the Star Wars movies makes it a clear winner for me And since the technology has just gotten better this movie portrays a Star Wars universe in the best possible light. I'm sorry but I just cringe when I watch the older Star Wars movies.. too low-tech and puppet-like. Some of the scenes from IV to VI remind me of 1980's C-movies.. *ducks for cover*
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #94
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
I happen to think Revenge of the Sith is the best movie of all the six. The descent into darkness and the acting by Ewan McGregor coupled with the best fight scenes in all of the Star Wars movies makes it a clear winner for me And since the technology has just gotten better this movie portrays a Star Wars universe in the best possible light. I'm sorry but I just cringe when I watch the older Star Wars movies.. too low-tech and puppet-like. Some of the scenes from IV to VI remind me of 1980's C-movies.. *ducks for cover*
Technology isn't everything, In fact, the technology in the new movies was too much. Besides, it didn't match the older ones in that respect.

You can probably guess: I thought the puppet Yoda was better .

As for Episode III, it was a lot of fun. It's one of those movies that doesn't give you the "usual scenes." Lots of great material in it. However its weakness is the Anakin/Padme storyline. Yes I know, SW isn't about great dialogue, but surely there are better ways to write, "Ani, you're breaking my heart!"

It's definitely not the best of the movies though, IMO . I actually like Episode I a lot more, in terms of the Star Wars "feel."

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote